• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

If this was a regular week in the middle of Sept, then yes i would be selling my stock like you, ethereld and the others.

The way i see it the top games in Japan, have already released and are selling. Would you buy Nights over Galaxy or WiiFit? We love Golf and Wiifit aimed at the same demographic, why are you surprised one was destroyed, it was destined to happen.

This is starting to vaguely remind me of the people in the NPD threads who are suprised games like Lego whatever sell

My stance has always been that releasing such games on the exact same day was a spectacularly dumb move.

However, as I am so very fond of saying, finding reasons for why the game does not do well does not change in the least the fact that the game did not do well. The games performed horrendously, and their releasing all on the same day is part of the reason, as is the release of far bigger games at the same timeframe.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pureauthor said:
My stance has always been that releasing such games on the exact same day was a spectacularly dumb move.

However, as I am so very fond of saying, finding reasons for why the game does not do well does not change in the least the fact that the game did not do well. The games performed horrendously, and their releasing all on the same day is part of the reason, as is the release of far bigger games at the same timeframe.

I agree- a couple of those were bound to get lost in the shuffle. Still much much lower than it should have been.

Banned
Well in that case it just comes down to what you were predicting. None of the games suprised me except GT5, which I thought would do better.

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout

Slow start for GT5P. Not bad for Chocobo Dungeon. The rest: bombs.

jj984jj said:
Let's see... bomba, bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba. How sad, and this is during December!

Shit. Just forgot it's december-time. This make these first day numbers even more pathetics.

duckroll said:
You missed the best parts.

Kingdom Under Fire 360: 8k
Shikigami no Shiro III 360 = 1500
Shikigami no Shiro III Wii = 500

Shit. Bombs all around. Wii Fit has stolen all the attention.

ziran said:
You know, a few years ago that would've been one of the things I thought I'd never hear, along with:

"doesn't look bad for a Wii game" & "it's sold quite well for a PS3 game"

:lol

100K for a 3rd party home console game is looking like a huge success these days. 200K and you're cracking open the Champaign cheap wine (if you can afford it).

How things have changed...

My opinion is that Nintendo is monopolising the market too much now. Shit, outside Nintendo's games & non-games, the rest is in decline in Japan. The fact that even X360 software is more successfull then most Wii Third Party games is really a bad sign.

ethelred said:
Anyway, like I've been saying for weeks and weeks, Wii software is a fucking joke, and if I were a developer in Japan there isn't a chance in hell I'd be making a game on that system.

(edit: unless I'm Nintendo! :lol )

Right. I think the only exception is Square-Enix, as Dragon Quest Swords proved.

So LE Red PSP is selling out quickly, thats up to 100k more PSPs for the week.

And they release the sequel to their best selling game since 2004 on any console one week before the limited edition PSP, and without bundles.

SCEJ fails once again, they fail horribly.

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Right. I think the only exception is Square-Enix, as Dragon Quest Swords proved.

We Love Golf bombing aside, I'd say Capcom has to be pleased with RE4 and RE:UC sales. RE:UC will go over 200K. Not bad at all.

ethelred said:
Anyway, like I've been saying for weeks and weeks, Wii software is a fucking joke, and if I were a developer in Japan there isn't a chance in hell I'd be making a game on that system.

Good luck making a game on the PS3 or 360 that will sale right now :lol

Third party Wii games don't sell well, you're right - but at least developers aren't losing shit tons of money while developing them

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
We Love Golf bombing aside, I'd say Capcom has to be pleased with RE4 and RE:UC sales. RE:UC will go over 200K. Not bad at all.
Mario and Sonic have shown some pretty impressive legs these last few weeks, as well. Should reach a very respectable total.

ziran

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
My opinion is that Nintendo is monopolising the market too much now. Shit, outside Nintendo's games & non-games, the rest is in decline in Japan. The fact that even X360 software is more successfull then most Wii Third Party games is really a bad sign.
You're right, but it isn't Nintendo's doing. Nintendo responded to what was happening in the market, the mass market was getting bored of playing the same things over and over again and sw sales were declining as a result. This was extremely obvious, and as sad as it is to see 3rd parties suffer, they brought it on themselves.

Doing the same as always with better graphics/minor improvements was always going to be a huge risk, certainly as big as doing something new, as many of Nintendo's main teams did.

What seems to be reviving the home console market is new, innovative games that can only be played in the home, on Wii, i.e. a new control system, and Nintendo is driving this growth. This is what happened in the handheld arena with DS.

GAF can be reactionary, to a silly level, imo in 18 months or so all this furore will be forgotten as 3rd parties finally get Wii to the extent they have invested the right resources and are having big successes on the system, just as they are on DS now. It's going to be rough inbetween, but hopefully they'll all get through it.

damisa

According to sony themselves, they are targetting GT5:p sales of
250K - retail version
50K - PSN version

So Sony expects PSN version sales to be fairly negligible.

Rocksteady33

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The fact that even X360 software is more successfull then most Wii Third Party games is really a bad sign.

Yeah but those are few and far between. How many Xbox 360 games have made the charts in the past year? I could probably count them in one hand, maybe two. Big Japanese games that do hit Xbox 360 are going to make sales, because the userbase is starved for games that attract to their tastes (which is also probably why they venture out and get games like Assassin's Creed cause they need something). The entire install base in comprised of all hardcore gamers, which is why when a big game like LO comes out we don't see hardware sales jump but rather big software sales (if you want to call them that) from the existing consumers.

jakncoke

Banned
damisa said:
According to sony themselves, they are targetting GT5:p sales of
250K - retail version
50K - PSN version

So Sony expects PSN version sales to be fairly negligible.

Is that first week targets or ltd targets?

Innotech

Banned
sucks to see all these bombas. But I think Nintendo just went with what is selling.
They saw handheld gaming becoming the norm and the DS absolutely exploded. The Wii in Japan pretty much is there to mop up most of the stragglers. as long as MS doesnt have a handheld they really have no relevance in Japan. Im actually kind of surprised the Wii has even made it to 4 million, though Nintendo has to be happy with that number after just a year of sales. All this and no price drops, and nintensdos own software selling worldwide. I think third party just needs to advertise the living hell out of their software. thats the main problem. Its not really the quality, or the avasilability of it, its the total lack of marketing.
Hell in the US even, Ive mentioned some of the Wiis great third party offerings so far and am met with total "??????" other than what nintendo itself makes. MARKET YOUR GODDAMNED GAMES, WII THIRD PARTY.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout

Holy shit Japan, you fail so hard.

Wii love golf should sell 100k or more on the Wii.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hcoregamer00 said:

You should be happy! Handhelds for world domination and all...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is aiming games at the Wii Sports crowd necessarily a good idea? Seems like most of them would be content just with that. You've got to take the idea and go one step further (Wii Fit).

Mario and Sonic did okay, but Sega's only like 3 million worldwide away from their 4 million goal. :D

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
Is aiming games at the Wii Sports crowd necessarily a good idea? Seems like most of them would be content just with that. You've got to take the idea and go one step further (Wii Fit).

Mario and Sonic did okay, but Sega's only like 3 million worldwide away from their 4 million goal. :D

That's a good point..but I honestly thought that crowd would jump at a full fledged Wii Sports golf. Maybe Wii Sports golf is good enough for most of that audience?

Re: Mario and Sonic. That 4M comment includes the DS version. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it reaches it.

Laguna

Banned
Would you buy crappy games like Nights and Soul Calibur Legends? Neither Japanese do. The only decent games on Wii this week were Chocobo and Wii Love Golf. Wii Love Golf failed because Capcom didn´t bother to do some marketing.

Laguna said:
Would you buy crappy games like Nights and Soul Calibur Legends? Neither Japanese do. The only decent games on Wii this week were Chocobo and Wii Love Golf. Wii Love Golf failed because Capcom didn´t bother to do some marketing.
Since you've played through NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, we could really use your impressions in the official thread.

Busaiku

So NiGHTS, We Love Golf, and Soul Calibur Legends should be getting massive price collapses over the weekend then.
Assuming such, if sales increase, it's not much of a surprise, but not the most positive thing either.

toypop

duckroll said:
You missed the best parts.

Kingdom Under Fire 360: 8k
Shikigami no Shiro III 360 = 1500
Shikigami no Shiro III Wii = 500

I think this is the best parts. :D

Kingdom Under Fire 360: 8k / around 80% sell-through and hard to find.

Red PSPs are odd, some shop bloggers say it's selling really well, others say it won't move at all.

1-D_FTW

Hcoregamer00 said:

Yep. That's a disgrace. Hot Shots Golf debuts at 80,000 last week and Wii can only pull this? I know HSG has pedigree, but they're basically the exact same formula. And We Love Golf is on a platform where a good golf game should be a goldmine in Japan. Disgusting.

donny2112

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Square-Enix gets to help start the exception list on Wii, too! That's fortuitous for them, if it turns out like the DS "exceptions" did.

1-D_FTW said:
I know HSG has pedigree, but they're basically the exact same formula.

The trick is to make the public aware of that. ;)

Jirotrom

Relaxed Muscle said:
WOW at Wii 3rd party Software sales.....just WOW....

GT5P...not too good either....
3rd parties need to make amazing games, for them to sell above anything Nintendo... Prof Layton proves this. There are always disappointments though, like Zack and Wiki, the same can go for the other systems as well though.

Jirotrom said:
3rd parties need to make amazing games, for them to sell above anything Nintendo... Prof Layton proves this. There are always disappointments though, like Zack and Wiki, the same can go for the other systems as well though.
Part of an amazing game is its marketing effort / reaching its effective target market. Zack and Wiki's presentation has no viable target market. That's not Nintendo's fault, but Capcom's.

Grecco

ethelred said:

Or Capcom or Square.

Jirotrom said:

Wii Love Golf,is a good game,even a very good game....

Nights as well....

I can understand bombas like Z&W and others,but every game released that day bombed,(yes even the chocobo one)....it just....those aren´t normal software figures for a console with 4 millions installed base....

schuelma

Grecco said:
Or Capcom or Square.

If I'm Capcom, the message the userbase is sending is cute is out..RESIDENT EVIL IS IN

Fine with me ;)

jarrod

Banned
Well, we did have quite a few notable games released at the same time... maybe they ate into each other too much?

We Love Golf is the real dissapointment though... that game *really* should've done better 1st day. Camelot and Capcom need to pray for Nintendo holiday legz.

Chocobo and GT5P are okay at least, both should have a respectable 1st week (if somewhat low for their respective franchise heritages). NiGHTS is too bad, but not totally surprising really... SCL is as expected though, everyone should've seen that one tanking a mile away.

Grecco

jarrod said:
Well, we did have quite a few notable games released at the same time... maybe they ate into each other too much?

We Love Golf is the real dissapointment though... that game *really* should've done better 1st day. Camelot and Capcom need to pray for Nintendo holiday legz.

Chocobo and GT5P are okay at least, both should have a respectable 1st week (if somewhat low for their respective franchise heritages). NiGHTS is too bad, but not totally surprising really... SCL is as expected though, everyone should've seen that one tanking a mile away.

Really though? Im pretty sure the Temco Golf game Pangya Golf didnt lite up the charts either.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
hahaha, poor the Wii. The PS2 and DS have the games & the consumers the console is aiming for. Until the console creates for itself a distinctive and attractive mass market appeal (ex: Wii Fit), it's probably going to live in the shadows of the two top consoles in the software charts.

jarrod

Banned
Grecco said:
Really though? Im pretty sure the Temco Golf game Pangya Golf didnt lite up the charts either.
Pangya isn't the spiritual Mingol/Margol successor. Given the game's pedigree, quality and circumstances, I think everyone really expected better. :/

Grecco

jarrod said:
Pangya isn't the spiritual Mingol/Margol successor. Given the game's pedigree, quality and circumstances, I think everyone really expected better. :/

1.Does your typical Japanese consumer know its from the original makers of Hot Shots?

2.Isnt Hot SHots waining anyways? the PSP sequel did significantly worse than its predesesor.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Relaxed Muscle said:
What will happen with that Namco´s Dream Team?....

I fear for they future.....

death by degrees two: it's really fucking deadly hot in here on Wii

Top Bottom