• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubnbob

Banned
Can anyone suggest any good ipad RPG games (either turn-based or action)? Also explain why you find it to be good.

Aralon
Anything Square Enix
Hunters (a big light on RPG, but)
The Bard's Tale
Infinity Blade
Guardian Saga
Ash
Crimson Gem Saga
Aralon
Ash
Adventure Bar Story

They're good cuz I have good taste. Game recognizes game, son

These are all fantastic suggestions however you're not answering the question being asked. We're looking for iPad and iPhone games in this iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming thread, not PC or console games.

There really isn't that much to speak of.

There are strong rumours baldurs gate 1 and 2 will get an official ios port, so lets hope for that.

Chaos rings is good, eternal legacy has decent reviews (but I haven't played it). The final fantasy games, especially FF3 and chrono trigger are obviously strong.

Apart from that you are looking at psuedo rpg games such as Dofus Battles, 100 Rogues and maybe something like Phantasy star 2 or battle of wesnoth to tide you over.

Aralon
Anything Square Enix
The Bard's Tale
Infinity Blade
Guardian Saga
Ash
Crimson Gem Saga
Aralon
Ash
Adventure Bar Story

And you can't forget the FREE Undercroft. A wonderful Eye of the Beholder clone!

Avixph

Aralon
Anything Square Enix
The Bard's Tale
Infinity Blade
Guardian Saga
Ash
Crimson Gem Saga
Aralon
Ash
Adventure Bar Story

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I will try as many as I can.

Pastry

Banned
Nice, this is one I've been looking at lately. Also looking into Sky Gamblers and Mass Effect for new iPad. Infiltrator looks like it could be a nice diversion with great graphics, same with Sky Gambler. Not sure if I should buy or hold off for the inevitable onslaught of updates/releases coming up.

Edit: bought Sky Gamblers, looks great and has great reviews on the app store. What controls are people using?

I have been using the advanced accelerometer ones (Simulation?) and I have had moderate success online. I have really been enjoying this so far.

Utako

Banned
Here's a question.

Which RPG has the best story?

"Story" also includes je ne sais quoi elements, like how Sworcery tells an amazing tale, while its actual plot is quite meager.

Here's a question.

Which RPG has the best story?

"Story" also includes je ne sais quoi elements, like how Sworcery tells an amazing tale, while its actual plot is quite meager.

Not a whole lot of story to Undercroft, but the feeling of isolation and the lack of handholding is amazing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
chaos ring is meh.

that's all

I've finished 2 of the couples scenarios since I've owned the first game (whenever it first came out for iPad). The game is good, pushing into very good, but it never quite gets there for me. Definitely better than meh in my opinion, but it's very much so a subjective game.

These are all fantastic suggestions however you're not answering the question being asked. We're looking for iPad and iPhone games in this iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming thread, not PC or console games.
I answered the question. The answer is "none" (square ports aside, and maybe Crimson Gem Saga, which I forgot. I also haven't played Adventure Bar Story but it's been described as a simpler Racettar so...). He's asking for a steak and I'm telling him that he should eat some nice fish because the only beef on hand is cheap hamburger.

Undercroft got mentioned as a "wonderful EotB" clone, and that's about the best example of what I'm talking about: it's a game where 90% of the game is mindlessly tapping on the screen because once you've figured out the extremely basic game system there's rarely any challenge at all, unlike actual good cRPGs with deep systems. It's also not like EotB because EotB played in real-time (like Dungeon Master), whereas Underdark is like M&M in being completely turn-based (a significant difference). It doesn't have "handholding" because if it did it would be a children's game. The "isolation" is a lack of varied content; each hub area is basically a reskin with the HP values increased to match the potential level, and there weren't any late-game surprises like Displacer Beasts in EotB. And going by the walkthrough (this didn't exist when I played it) I apparently made it to the last hub area when I quit (and this is a couple years back when iOS options weren't like they are now) because there's so little lore or story that I thought it was just a lot of cheaply put together dungeon maps that would go on forever.

Watching a Let's Play of Eye of the Beholder on your iPad via youtube would be a better RPG experience than actually playing Undercroft.

edit: I forgot about Avadon: The Black Fortress. Get that if you're ok with the visuals, it's a solid, fairly deep RPG. I've only played the PC version but supposedly the iOS version controls decently enough.

CougRon

Despite how well the new iPad upscales, it's still preferable to run at the full native res. The devs of the most successful iOS game of all time better get their butts in gear.

Probably for the immeadiate future they are concentrating on Angry Birds Space which is coming out next week. Once that is out, they'll probably then look at doing updates to their other apps for the retina display.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Um, does Apple issue refunds when this happens? I wiped my iPad without saving anything because I wanted to do a clean install of everything when I got my iPadHD and it's not showing up in my purchased apps list.

It's about 50/50 chance if you still have the purchase receipt email. IIRC Apple's ToS covers not issuing refunds for apps violating ToS but they operate on goodwill so if you feel the need to try by all means do.

Anilones

Of those who have been playing Kids vs Goblins, how do you undertake a strategy? In it's current state I feel it's a complete free-for-all. Unless it can be patched so that you can make a tank figure, i.e. get the enemies attention focused on one character, I don't think I can ever enjoy this game, it's too much like anarchy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm seeing Battle for Wesnoth iOS has had no updates since 2010, while the free open version gets frequent updates and has definitely had new "stable" and "maintainance" releases since then, did they give up on iOS meaning it will also lack the multi platform multi player (I assume it doesn't work if you don't use the same or similar enough version to the other players)?

Edit: searching the Wesnoth forums a bit it sounds like a clusterfuck, the guy who made the port has abandoned it presumably to focus on his own games, if they had someone else start porting it there'd be two Wesnoth apps, and/or those who bought it would have to buy the new one again, etc. His code apparently also sucks so people can't easily work off it and they don't even seem to be in contact with him to see if they could work something out, meh, I guess I'm glad I didn't buy it when they were reassuring.

SteveWD40

I have it on the IPhone but it's crap on the small screen, much better for free on a desktop.

Kyle I think has left it for Shadow Era, which I really love.

PaulLFC

New annoyance: Apps that don't rotate to the correct orientation when you use the smart cover to prop the iPad up. Ridge Racer decided it would only be "upside down" in landscape mode and not rotate, so I haven't bothered to play it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
New annoyance: Apps that don't rotate to the correct orientation when you use the smart cover to prop the iPad up. Ridge Racer decided it would only be "upside down" in landscape mode and not rotate, so I haven't bothered to play it.

Orientation lock on/off? I've never come across a landscape game that hasn't rotated either way with it off.

PaulLFC

Orientation lock on/off? I've never come across a landscape game that hasn't rotated either way with it off.
I'm pretty sure it was off, as other apps I was trying before that rotated fine, just Ridge Racer that didn't seem to. I'll try it again and see.

Edit: Yep, it's just Ridge Racer. Other apps rotate fine though. Strange and/or shoddy on namco's part.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm pretty sure it was off, as other apps I was trying before that rotated fine, just Ridge Racer that didn't seem to. I'll try it again and see.

Edit: Yep, it's just Ridge Racer. Other apps rotate fine though. Strange and/or shoddy on namco's part.

Lame, considering it's just a tick-box when compiling an app to decide what orientations are allowed.

Zeth

Sacred Odyssey worth a dollar? Gonna play the free part and see I guess.

Would be great if Ascension got a retina update for iPad.

Alexios

Sky Gamblers AS = decent engine, graphics, controls, and options, but crappy gameplay (infinite fire and forget missiles, really, who thought that's a good idea?) and only 10 short campaign missions that just when you think they'll start picking up end in a "to be continued" cliffhanger. I finished it in one sitting basically. Soured after that, it was like I played a mild introductory part to a campaign and little more. I haven't tried the other modes of play, I did pop in multiplayer a bit but said crappy gameplay doesn't make it seem like it will be very compelling or have much actual skill involved. It's more fun than the likes of Modern Combat 3 and what each tries to do but still basically just a tech demo, not a full well thought out game. Played on iPad2. Wait for price cuts.

Reese-015

I finally decided to start focusing on levelling up more and mastering all gear I come across in Infinity Blade 2 which made me try out dual wielding... Didn't know dual was so much fun! It's so fast, this rocks. I've been playing Heavy all this time, which I love because of all the crazy damage it does in one combo.

Zzoram

The Justin.tv and Twitch.tv streaming video apps are locked to a specific orientation and won't rotate as well. It's annoying.

Mirror's Edge also locks to a specific orientation and won't rotate.

That's regardless of whether or not rotate lock is on.

heringer

Sky Gamblers AS = decent engine, graphics, controls, and options, but crappy gameplay (infinite fire and forget missiles, really, who thought that's a good idea?) and only 10 short campaign missions that just when you think they'll start picking up end in a "to be continued" cliffhanger. I finished it in one sitting basically. Soured after that, it was like I played a mild introductory part to a campaign and little more. I haven't tried the other modes of play, I did pop in multiplayer a bit but said crappy gameplay doesn't make it seem like it will be very compelling or have much actual skill involved. It's more fun than the likes of Modern Combat 3 and what each tries to do but still basically just a tech demo, not a full well thought out game. Played on iPad2. Wait for price cuts.

Yeah, the campaign is an afterthought, but the multiplayer is really fun.

The gameplay is very arcadey, but not too different from Ace Combat giving you 40 or something missiles. There's at least a cooling wait to use missiles and flares, so you can't just spam your juice. On multiplayer matches, things are fast, so the cooling wait may seem like an eternity. Also, people actually know how to avoid your missiles, so you have to wait for the best moment to use, not simply wait for the lock on. Flares are also limited, so dodging 2 or 3 missiles (which is common) using only one flare is important and very satisfying. Even more satisfying is to dodge without using flares, which is super hard (as it should), but when you pull it off... feels good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Most games let you double click home, swipe to left and start your music again from there (including adventure bar story)

Not good enough, I don't need apps to interrupt playback at all

Some apps override it even after doing this trick

Flunkie

Banned
So I'm still high score on my New Star Soccer Arcade mode leaderboard. Only six of you have played it. For shame.

Edit: Great, Wario's here.

I loved SimTower/Yoot Tower way back when too, but have found it has aged really poorly. It might be a bit better if the interface wasn't so awkward on the iPad version (and maybe they've fixed it sometime in the 10 months since I last played it). But I would definitely pass on it unless it were on sale or something.

Alexios

Yeah, the campaign is an afterthought, but the multiplayer is really fun.
I'd have enjoyed it more if they made more missions lengthier or harder, requiring refueling/repairing/rearming landings alongside taking down strategic installations like the carriers and what not. I only noticed that option in one level, which didn't even need it, and said strategic targets were required by the mission most of the time anyway, you didn't get to form a plan yourself or feel like you improvise at all. I couldn't even find anywhere to land on in the final mission so I had to retry the last section a few times as those weapons are tough to dodge and you have to get within range if you're to target them yourself so they chipped away at me every attempt until I didn't have enough health for the next one. But that was just one part. Enemy behaviour doesn't seem particularly good or fun to fight either, sea/land targets were actually more exciting than aircraft by flying low etc. Which is weird cos I just did a few dogfight missions (well, half of the 40, lol) and the planes behave okay there. It's more fun in "simulation" mode, it takes getting used to but you can perform better manual maneuvers, although you can black out too.

centracore

Saw this game posted about earlier, but it looks awesome: Battle Academy, full-blown hardcore wargame. I know it's $20 but I'm definitely supporting this.

That does look awesome, and the reviews seem to be pretty glowing. Anyone know if it has retina display support for the new iPad by chance? I looked through the App Store description as well as their site and couldn't find a clear answer.

soldat7

That does look awesome, and the reviews seem to be pretty glowing. Do you know if it has retina display support for the new iPad by chance?

I *think* they said it's in work.

I'm seeing Battle for Wesnoth iOS has had no updates since 2010, while the free open version gets frequent updates and has definitely had new "stable" and "maintainance" releases since then, did they give up on iOS meaning it will also lack the multi platform multi player (I assume it doesn't work if you don't use the same or similar enough version to the other players)?

Edit: searching the Wesnoth forums a bit it sounds like a clusterfuck, the guy who made the port has abandoned it presumably to focus on his own games, if they had someone else start porting it there'd be two Wesnoth apps, and/or those who bought it would have to buy the new one again, etc. His code apparently also sucks so people can't easily work off it and they don't even seem to be in contact with him to see if they could work something out, meh, I guess I'm glad I didn't buy it when they were reassuring.

The dude you're referring to popped in on the Touch Arcade forums not too long ago and indicated that Wesnoth will be seeing lots of love soon. Amazing game, you should consider buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom