• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Netto-kun

No VC games this Friday? 0o

WiiWare
Penguins & Friends - Hey! That's My Fish! - 800 Nintendo Points
Crystal Defenders R2 - 800 Nintendo Points

DSi:

ArtStyle: PicoPict - 500p
Pop Superstars - 800p

PicoPict YAY!!!!

Pop Superstars - play some instruments, start singing and stuff, sounds strange and NOT mine :D

sfog

Japanese update for 5/26:

VC:
Final Fantasy (Famicom)
Splatterhouse (Arcade)

WiiWare:
Muscle March
Lucky Puzzle Wii (a tangrams-esque puzzle game)
3 (degree symbol) C
Arkanoid Plus

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
beje said:
Crappy weeks are back! I wonder when will they release Cave Story

The dev blog mentioned they were in LotCheck/cert now, and it was the first title listed in the WiiWare anniversary video.

zigg

A Twisty Fluken said:
Pictobits is fucking FAB. It also gets pretty damn hard and furious in the later levels.

The 8-bit mixes are really nice, too.

I just got 500 coins this morning to go unlock the last track.

There's a + version for 1000 *sob*

time to go spam dark baseball 10 times I guess

Hobbun

sfog said:
Japanese update for 5/26:

VC:
Final Fantasy (Famicom)

Cool. I hope NA gets it soon after.

Also, I know the first episode of FF IV: The After releases on 6/1. But I still wonder how many episodes (and how far apart) there will be.

Yes Boss!

Nice,

I just saw that 300-game video on the Nintendo Channel. Nice little re-cap and just reinforces how pleased I've been with VC over the last 2+ years. I've got about a hundred titles and the pace at which they are releasing them is just about perfect for my buying habits.

Late update - sorry!

Here we go:

• Added ESRB ratings for: Family Car Slot Racing, Cave Story and Mighty Flip Champs
  • Added Friday's PAL releases, plus the PR
  • Added next week's VC, WiiWare and DSiWare releases for Japan
  • Added WiiWare announcement - Frobot

Can anyone identify the publisher for the two DSiWare games marked with a "???"? Also, is there anything else I've missed that should be added in?

Thanks again for all the contributions.

Somnid

Cosmonaut X said:
Can anyone identify the publisher for the two DSiWare games marked with a "???"? Also, is there anything else I've missed that should be added in?

Pocket Rurubu has two version: Tokyo and Kyoto. They are seperate pieces of software. I think Rurubu is the name of a travel magazine.

In the Rhytm Training: English Immersion page is also confirms that there will be another software later on (no date) for 800 points that has native-level speed conversations. Translated it would be:

Rhythm Training: English Immersion (Native Conversation) (Nintendo, 800 points)

For the missing publisher it's kinda amusing since you seem to catch it sometimes but not others. Get used to seeing this: 任天堂 (hint: It's Nintendo)

rpmurphy

Yes Boss! said:
Nice,

I just saw that 300-game video on the Nintendo Channel. Nice little re-cap and just reinforces how pleased I've been with VC over the last 2+ years. I've got about a hundred titles and the pace at which they are releasing them is just about perfect for my buying habits.
I just saw that too just earlier today. As much as everyone likes to complain about the state of VC releases, looking at that video reminds me how impressive the catalogue is right now. And this considering how many great games have yet to appear.

Somnid said:
Pocket Rurubu has two version: Tokyo and Kyoto. They are seperate pieces of software. I think Rurubu is the name of a travel magazine.

Cool - I'll list them separately then.

In the Rhytm Training: English Immersion page is also confirms that there will be another software later on (no date) for 800 points that has native-level speed conversations. Translated it would be:

Rhythm Training: English Immersion (Native Conversation) (Nintendo, 800 points)

Thanks - I've added that in under announcements.

For the missing publisher it's kinda amusing since you seem to catch it sometimes but not others. Get used to seeing this: 任天堂 (hint: It's Nintendo)

Heh :)

I tend to rely on my knowledge of Nintendo series - so I can guess that Nintendo are the pubs for the Chotto games, or for other titles - or the sample pics - the title screens often list the pub - but that lets me down when it comes to a series I don't recognise. Thanks for the pointer ;-)

I just wish Pulseman and Gynoug/Wings of Wor would make their way to the US VC already.

First game would be an import sure but it's truly great and I sold my copy cause I needed the dough. =/
Second game is just a good shooter. And considering they already got Gleylancer and Chaoniki up there it shouldn't be a big deal(then again one of the bosses looking like a giant bloody penis probably isn't helping matters).

While I'm at it. What is up with the complete lack of ThunderForce? Putting 2 through 4 on the VC should be a no-brainer for Sega.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So just this weekend I've been liquidating some of the games I don't want anymore and trying to prune my collection. Managed to go from 670 games to about 600, which I think is a great start.

Along with pruning my collection, I've been looking at the list of released games that I do not own but would like to. I've deleted a lot of the games I've been mildly curious about; if there's a NES game that I've been mildly curious about since 1988 and haven't managed to play, I think it's fair to write it off.

I'm left with a fairly modest collection of old games that I'd like to buy, mostly games I played when I was younger and always intended to buy but never did. Several of these games are on the VC.

What I'm torn about is whether to spring on eBay for carts, or buy those games on VC. VC would probably be mildly cheaper, but the carts will continue to work forever, are resellable if push comes to shove, and I can easily make digital copies of them. On the other hand, the VC games I can get immediately, with very little effort, and they're probably cheaper in most cases. Convenience of play is not an issue to me--I don't care what controller I play on, or if I'm playing on Wii, the original system, or a digital copy on computer.

In particular, the following games are games that I can't decide between cart form or VC for:
Contra III
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Secret of Mana
Super Punch-Out!!
Metroid (NES)
Kirby 64--I'm sort of only mildly interested in this. I played it on release and found it pretty bland, but I'm not sure if I should be giving it a second chance. I do like Kirby games in general.
Pilotwings 64 (not yet on VC, but I'm sure it will be some day)

Obviously no one can make up my mind for me, but has anyone else faced this same dilemma? What did you guys decide?

zigg

Caesar III said:
yeah, but hard as hell. I can't stand the 10th level (yet). Not to speak about the remixes :(

I got Starmen (no POW usage at all) on all the 15 "light" levels the other day. You can do it!

But man, fuck dark Excitebike and its massive checkerboards.

Tiktaalik

Stumpokapow said:
What I'm torn about is whether to spring on eBay for carts, or buy those games on VC. VC would probably be mildly cheaper, but the carts will continue to work forever, are resellable if push comes to shove, and I can easily make digital copies of them. On the other hand, the VC games I can get immediately, with very little effort, and they're probably cheaper in most cases. Convenience of play is not an issue to me--I don't care what controller I play on, or if I'm playing on Wii, the original system, or a digital copy on computer.

In particular, the following games are games that I can't decide between cart form or VC for:
Contra III
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Secret of Mana
Super Punch-Out!!
Metroid (NES)
Kirby 64--I'm sort of only mildly interested in this. I played it on release and found it pretty bland, but I'm not sure if I should be giving it a second chance. I do like Kirby games in general.

Obviously no one can make up my mind for me, but has anyone else faced this same dilemma? What did you guys decide?

It's a sad thing that like you I also question the reliability of a VC purchase with regard to being able to "play forever". It really shows that Nintendo has not done a good job in communicating the reliability of their service. Unlike Steam or XBL, the linkage between my Nintendo account (which only has existed recently) and my Wii seems tenuous. Despite linking my Wii to my myNintendo account, I really have no idea if Nintendo knows whether I have Zelda downloaded or not.

The one thing about carts is don't they also have somewhat of a lifetime? I mean some have battery saves right? How are those batteries recharged? At some point could these stop working and need to be replaced?

For me I used to much more of a hardcore collector and I'd love to have the "real" copies of the game, but now as I've gotten older I've realized that much of this is useless kipple and sometimes I feel it would be quite liberating to get rid of all of it. Naturally when I was hanging out in the USA the other week with my friend I eyed his Kindle quite enviously.

With regard to collecting, though I've nearly stopped, if I come across a particularily amazing item I feel like I have to buy it, if only to save it from being destroyed by some gamer or store owner who wouldn't care. I'm like a game archeologist :lol

The last example of me doing this was when I found an absolutely mint mint mint, crisp copy of Bad Dudes for the NES at Value Village.

loosus

Banned
The Picto game is actually pretty fun. Not a big fan of all the Nintendo shit (really, not every fucking game Nintendo publishes has to have fucking Nintendo-related shit -- it's getting old), but it's fun if you can look past that.

lyre

Stumpokapow said:
Contra III
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen VC's save suspend will make long battles in this game more bearable
Secret of Mana Multiplayer without the need for a multi-tap and your choice of controller. The game also has customisable button options.
Super Punch-Out!!
Metroid (NES) There are two versions of this on GBA and it plays just as well on any console (IMO), and the GBA ones have sleep mode as well

And for the rest of your list, unless you had your SNES modded to output with component, Wii versions should be superiour due to better image quality (and less hardware plugged into your set).

And obviously if you mainly play games single player, disregard anything related to that. :p

Volcynika

First thing I did when I charged up my new DS-i last night was pick up Pictobits. A couple hours after that, and I love it! :D

Metroid (NES) There are two versions of this on GBA and it plays just as well on any console (IMO), and the GBA ones have sleep mode as well

However, the GBA version is objectively worse in at least one respect-the GBA has a lower resolution than the NES.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Nine episodes?! I'd probably bite if they were 200 a piece but that's looking highly unlikely.

At 5$ each they will be the cost of a full retail game (at 9 episodes)

I just loaded up money on my WiiWare account for this game, if they overcharge then they aren't getting a game sale from me. That simple. 5$ is the MOST it is worth (again, 9 episodes x 5$ = 45$, any more than that and this game is now costing more than a retail game)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
lsslave said:
At 5$ each they will be the cost of a full retail game (at 9 episodes)

I just loaded up money on my WiiWare account for this game, if they overcharge then they aren't getting a game sale from me. That simple. 5$ is the MOST it is worth (again, 9 episodes x 5$ = 45$, any more than that and this game is now costing more than a retail game)

I have the feeling that they will price it like Crystal Defenders. :/

Hero

If FFIV-2 is more than 3 bucks per episode Square-Enix can go fuck themselves. I want to play it and would've gladly bought a DS version of it. There's absolutely no reason for them releasing it in nine chapters in the US other than pure greed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hero said:
If FFIV-2 is more than 3 bucks per episode Square-Enix can go fuck themselves. I want to play it and would've gladly bought a DS version of it. There's absolutely no reason for them releasing it in nine chapters in the US other than pure greed.

To be fair, it was twenty chapters long in the Japanese release.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Regulus Tera said:
I have the feeling that they will price it like Crystal Defenders. :/

Oh? Because I bought R1 and wont buy R2 because I wont pay 16 bucks for that game. It seems like a POOR business decision from them, doesn't it?

Scrubking

Hero said:

If it's episodic it's pretty much guaranteed, and I don't see them trying to get less than $30 for the entire game (if we're lucky).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hero said:

THIS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tiktaalik said:
The one thing about carts is don't they also have somewhat of a lifetime? I mean some have battery saves right? How are those batteries recharged? At some point could these stop working and need to be replaced?

I have no problem replacing batteries in carts, and I also feel like I have an ethical claim to download a ROM copy of a SNES cart I own whereas I do not feel the same ethical claim if I buy a VC copy.

The last example of me doing this was when I found an absolutely mint mint mint, crisp copy of Bad Dudes for the NES at Value Village.

hahaha been there!

lyre said:
And for the rest of your list, unless you had your SNES modded to output with component, Wii versions should be superiour due to better image quality (and less hardware plugged into your set).

Thanks for your valued advice loon. I think I will definitely do VC for Ogre Battle at least, because you're right that the experience would undoubtedly be better and scoping out a price it seems like I've be saving some decent scrilla.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
I have no problem replacing batteries in carts, and I also feel like I have an ethical claim to download a ROM copy of a SNES cart I own whereas I do not feel the same ethical claim if I buy a VC copy.

Unless you are making them yourself I don't see why it would make any difference. Most people would claim some sort of ownership and that would be that. But if you're talking about emulators then VC doesn't hold many advantages, other than the fact that it's good and proper. Obviously when you buy the VC copy money goes to the publisher, and personally I'd rather have that then it going to some thrift store. Voting with one's wallet is a great way to show interest and I'm sure more than a couple of Wiiware retro revivals were based on VC interest.

The transfer thing is something that needs more of a communicated gameplan but at the very least your Wii versions will probably outlast the cart version even if they don't officially jump ship to the next platform. I'm sure if that happened though you'd change your stance on downloading ROMs of those though.

Meesh

Stumpokapow said:

Is it difficult to replace batteries in carts? I remember owning FF1 and FF2(4) and the batteries eventually fried after millions of gaming hours. I couldn't even save on them anymore...lol, I used to have FF marathons where I'd play the game as long as I could before pausing, and then pick it back up to beat it...I couldn't turn it off or I'd have to start over :D If only I'd know I could replace the batteries, then I wouldn't have taken them to ye ol' game shoppe.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Evilink said:
Is it difficult to replace batteries in carts? I remember owning FF1 and FF2(4) and the batteries eventually fried after millions of gaming hours. I couldn't even save on them anymore...lol, I used to have FF marathons where I'd play the game as long as I could before pausing, and then pick it back up to beat it...I couldn't turn it off or I'd have to start over :D If only I'd know I could replace the batteries, then I wouldn't have taken them to ye ol' game shoppe.

It's actually quite easy, yes.

It depends on the console, but in general all you need to do is open the cart (so you need an appropriate screw driver for the console--SNES uses the "GameBit" screwdriver bit), and switch out the battery (almost all carts use some easily available battery like a CR2032 or CR2025 or whatever; you can go to Radio Shack to get these).

The only tough part is that many or most consoles have soldered in batteries on the carts, so you'll need to vacuum desolder and resolder the new batteries. If you've never soldered before, I recommend practicing a little bit first or getting someone who can. The soldering is exceptionally easy, so anyone with even basic soldering experience can do it.

Note: When you switch the battery out, you will 100% lose the saves that are currently on the cart. This is instantaneous and guaranteed. The second you remove the battery, your saves are gone.

I have no speakers right now to make sure, but this tutorial seems to be an accurate depiction of how it works on the SNES.

leroy hacker said:
How much did each of those releases cost?

standard ridiculous cell phone ripoff price

lsslave

Jew Gamer
leroy hacker said:
How much did each of those releases cost?

I'd imagine a staff of 5-10 people, the graphic artist would only be needed initially after that it would be just the animator needed. The engine would have been in place after the first one was done so all it would be past that is crunching in the new text and numbers and animations.

In other words, I would think, quite low

Top Bottom