• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Capndrake

Japan's schedule for next month:

Super Famicom:
-Taikou Risshiden (Koei, Sep 1st)
-Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijyuurokubei no Karakuri Manji Katame (Konami)
-Bahamut Lagoon (Square Enix)

Mega Drive:
-Earthworm Jim 2 (Interplay, Sep 1st)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Xevious (Namco Bandai, Sep 1st)
-Rygar (Tecmo)

DanceOffwiththeStarWarsStars2008-5.gif

colb.gif

Capndrake said:

Super Famicom:
-Taikou Risshiden (Koei, Sep 1st)
-Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijyuurokubei no Karakuri Manji Katame (Konami)
-Bahamut Lagoon (Square Enix)

Mega Drive:
-Earthworm Jim 2 (Interplay, Sep 1st)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Rygar (Tecmo)

Small lineup, but nice games nonetheless. Seems odd that Japan gets Earthworm Jim 2 before us though! (And why the MD version? why not the SNES one!?)

Also holy crap @ that Arika shmup for DSi Ware, looks awesome!

Ledsen

Sooooo Hako Life or Mario vs Donkey Kong? I'm not an experienced puzzle gamer so I don't have any particular preferences.

swerve

Capndrake said:

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Rygar (Tecmo)

Will buy both. Will love both.

Man, Virtual Console Arcade is my favourite gaming thing of 2009.

Jazzem

Ledsen said:
Sooooo Hako Life or Mario vs Donkey Kong? I'm not an experienced puzzle gamer so I don't have any particular preferences.

I'd go with Mario vs Donkey Kong, which is fast becoming one of the best DSiWare games for me. Has loads of content, in both pre-loaded/downloable levels, and is just a great puzzler all round.

Boxlife is definitely worth a gander all the same, though it's a bit frustrating to come back to after some time due to having to remember many box patterns.

Somnid

Full Japanese lineup next week:

VC (9/1):
Taikou Risshiden (Koei, SNES)
Earthwirm Jim 2 (Interplay, MD)
Xevious (Bandai-Namco, ARC)

WiiWare:
[None]

DSiWare (9/2):
DSiWare 200:
Nintendo DSi Metronome (Nintendo)
Nintendo DSi Instrument Tuner (Nintendo)

DSiWare 500:
Aa Mujou Setsuna (Nintendo)
Puzzle Iroiro: Gekkan Crossword Puzzle Vol. 4 (Nintendo, Has some contest to go with it)

Somnid

Didn't see it posted, so sorry if it was but ESRB has rated both Cybernoid (C64) and R-Type (presumably the Master System version).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just a note...

Nintendo Channel currently shows the second Monkey Island episode and a Tecmo WiiWare game as being released later today. I can't recall the name of the Tecmo game at the moment, but it's 500 points and is some sort of collection of minigames revolving around shaking the Wii remote.

DavidDayton said:
Just a note...

Nintendo Channel currently shows the second Monkey Island episode and a Tecmo WiiWare game as being released later today. I can't recall the name of the Tecmo game at the moment, but it's 500 points and is some sort of collection of minigames revolving around shaking the Wii remote.
Thats 3-2-1, Rattle Battle!. Given the lack of dissucsiion on the game nobody ever did figure out how to unlock the last 2 microgames...and seriously, microgames is a fair assesment.

Capndrake

Aug. 31, 2009

Nintendo Download

Pirates, Puzzles, Rattlers and Role-Playing

“All for one and one for all” is an apt way to describe the latest lineup of downloadable games from the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop. Each of this week’s new titles is a single-player affair, but they’re all quite different in genre and style, offering something special for a variety of gaming tastes.

WiiWare™

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2
Publisher: Telltale Games
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Alcohol Reference, Cartoon Violence, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Guybrush’s adventures continue on the high seas as pox-plagued pirates lay siege to the innocent Mer-People. Between defending the Mer-People and dodging the persistent pirate hunter hot on his trail, Guybrush manages to catch up to his beloved wife and despised arch-nemesis, but the reunion is short-lived. Now Guybrush must focus on eradicating the Pox of LeChuck before more harm can be done. And as the Mighty Pirate draws closer to a cure, the waters will only grow murkier in this thrilling chapter of the epic saga.

3-2-1, Rattle Battle!
Publisher: Tecmo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: 3-2-1, Rattle Battle! is a party game packed with exciting mini-games. Intuitive controls mean that anyone can enjoy playing – just grab the Wii Remote™ and shake it to “rattle.” Great fun for single players, but the party really gets started when you register high scores on Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection to see how you measure up against players from around the globe.

Virtual Console™

Phantasy Star™
Original platform: SEGA Master System
Publisher: SEGA
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone 10 and Older) – Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Originally released on the SEGA Master System, Phantasy Star is a pioneer in the role-playing game genre. Alis is the fearless female protagonist out to avenge her brother’s death at the hands of cruel dictator King Lassic. Players must guide Alis and her troops through the sprawling environments of the Agol solar system in an attempt to defeat King Lassic and liberate the people of Agol. Engage in dynamic turn-based combat with dragons, ghouls, giants and magicians by using unique weapons such as glowing daggers, crossbows and magic spells.

Nintendo DSiWare™

Puzzle League™ Express
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: The ever-popular Puzzle League comes to Nintendo DSiWare. As it is with all good puzzlers, the concept is simple: Connect blocks of the same color to clear them from the screen and prevent your stack from becoming too high. There are four single-player modes to choose from: Endless (survive to earn a top score), Clear (eliminate all blocks above the line), Score Attack (score as high as possible in two minutes) and Vs. COM (use items and combos to attack a computer opponent). You can choose from a variety of background music to help get you in the zone, and even play in horizontal or vertical mode by holding the Nintendo DSi system normally or like a book. Whichever way you play, you’re guaranteed maximum fun.

Hey! I can finally play the original Phantasy Star without having to buy another controller for the PS3 Gensis collection unlock. Joy is me.

Somnid

handofg0d said:
I didn't know they let Flash Games on WiiWare?

They updgraded their development tools a while back so that Wiiware games can be developed in Flash. They actively support it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chairhome said:
Any advantage (other than it being always there) of getting Puzzle League Express if you already have PPL?

It always being there shouldn't really be an advantage given that you can get a flash card for only three times the price and have 100% of your library always there.

Nintendo said:
“All for one and one for all” is an apt way to describe the latest lineup of downloadable games from the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop.
More apt than when the recent Three Musketeers game released?
Stumpokapow said:
It always being there shouldn't really be an advantage given that you can get a flash card for only three times the price and have 100% of your library always there.
$15? Though I guess since I did the Facebook-uploading upgrade I'm kinda boned anyway.

Crazyorloco

Can't wait to get Puzzle League Express.

I'll miss the Wifi stuff though. And Wifi chat.

edit: Typed a word by mistake. I swear.

HUELEN10

Stumpokapow said:
Do flashcards even work in DSi mode for DSi enhanced cards? Besides, the fact that firmware updates can kill them is kind of off-putting. I am personally waiting on a better homebrew solution, a man can dream!

zigg

JoshuaJSlone said:
$15? Though I guess since I did the Facebook-uploading upgrade I'm kinda boned anyway.

I understand there are firmware updates to get around 1.4 already, but I don't actually have any of the aforementioned cards so I can't say for sure.

Crazyorloco said:
Can't wait to get Puzzle League Express legally.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:

There are actually patches for almost all the cards to support 1.4, but you have to apply the patches using a compatible DS (including a Fat/Lite). One or two cards support flashing firmware updates using external devices.

I personally use an Acekard2i.

Wow! Didn't expect Phantasy Star, now I can finally start playing this series! Guess we'll be getting SROTJ next week then (Seems to be bi weekly)

Seems like NOA is playing catch up with NOE, maybe that means that we might be getting SSB and Pilotwings soon too! :D

stuminus3

I've given up on WiiWare ToMI, playing the rest of the season exclusively on PC and trying to forget I ever downloaded Ep1 on Wii... but it's good to see Nintendo help Telltale somewhat keep to an episodic schedule.

I mean, where's the rest of my Wallace & Gromit, Microsoft?

OnPoint

Cave Story in August? Download my middle finger, whoever said that.

If it was delayed due to bug fixes for real, though, I am happy to be getting a better game

Gagaman

Oh wow, I played that Amiga Trolls game as a kid for hours upon hours. The music was great (even though the music only played when the disc was loading and when you finished a level). Stop trying to make me buy a DSi!

OnPoint

HUELEN10 said:
Godddamit, PPLE is 43 blocks and I only have 32 left.

Time to clean the fridge...

:/

Your Wii's memory is to Bender's apartment as an SD card is to his closet. Why don't you have one?

HUELEN10

OnPoint said:
Your Wii's memory is to Bender's apartment as an SD card is to his closet. Why don't you have one?
First of all, we're talking DSi. Second of all, last I checked, you can't launch games from the SD card on a DSi.

OnPoint said:
Cave Story in August? Download my middle finger, whoever said that.

If it was delayed due to bug fixes for real, though, I am happy to be getting a better game
Oh shit...today WAS his last day for the ban deal huh? Duckroll is sharpening the blade as we speak :lol

Somnid said:
Didn't see it posted, so sorry if it was but ESRB has rated both Cybernoid (C64) and R-Type (presumably the Master System version).

And still no second version of Gradius II (namely, the Famicom one). Seriously guys.

Somnid said:

Isn't there a decent chance that it might be the original Arcade version? Releasing the MS version would be pointless.

Edit: Nevermind, it lists Sega as publisher, its the MS version :(

Top Bottom