• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

Ryoku

Is it just me, or does the game not look as good for the power it requires at max settings? Don't get me wrong; I still think the game looks great. Just not what I thought.

Facism

is there an ini anywhere where i can change the game resolution? Apparently this isn't 2012 and games can't detect my monitor resolution instead of putting my screen out of frequency :/

First impressions are utterly fantastic.

The game booted up in native resolution and went straight into playing the opening cinematic at a locked 60fps while looking absolutely stunning. I've never played a PC game with such a good auto detect feature. Checked the settings and the game was already running in DX11 with tesselation and most defaulted to very high with a couple on high. This is on a GTX 560 TI 448 core so that's a very good sign of the performance that Rockstar have got out of the engine.

JohngPR

Definitely nothing like that in the game. Sounds like an issue with your sound hardware or a bug in the game :(

Damn.

I unchecked a box that let applications override the sound...I'm hoping that was it. The checkpoints in this game are spread pretty far apart. I X'd out of the game so I can redo that cutscene and see if I could hear the sound this time and it made me redo a section of Chapter II. :(

Also for screenshot lovers, I stumbled across the ability to make the game hudless if you pause the game and use the R analog stick on a 360 pad to rotate the camera (I have to assume it works with a mouse as well).

It makes for some great photo ops!

maxpayne32012-06-0103b592i.png

Riggs

Banned
Whatever going back to bed, game won't even launch. Sent in a support ticket with dxdiag info/sysinfo/event crash

Fucking rockstar man, I had faith this would actually work ....

BtW it launches in administration mode (Game thinks I am on fucking vista, Windows 7 really)

Just get not responding error at 1st black splash screen w/ rockstar info

I am trying to verify game cache and I get recoverable ERR_OS_VISTA - Unrecoverable Fault - Please restart the game

Jesus Christ =/

Now it's validating though, I don't even know what to think.

Sethos

Banned
Anyone know how to switch shoulder view? When I'm near something, I can press Q, get in cover and it'll switch shoulder side when I leave cover again but that's not really a viable option. Don't see anything under controls?

Digishine

Banned
Whatever going back to bed, game won't even launch. Sent in a support ticket with dxdiag info/sysinfo/event crash

BtW it launches in administration mode (Game thinks I am on fucking vista, Windows 7 really)

I am trying to verify game cache and I get recoverable ERR_OS_VISTA - Unrecoverable Fault - Please restart the game

Jesus Christ =/

Did you have windows 7 sp1 ? if not install SP1

Zeliard

Damn.

I unchecked a box that let applications override the sound...I'm hoping that was it. The checkpoints in this game are spread pretty far apart. I X'd out of the game so I can redo that cutscene and see if I could hear the sound this time and it made me redo a section of Chapter II. :(

Also for screenshot lovers, I stumbled across the ability to make the game hudless if you pause the game and use the R analog stick on a 360 pad to rotate the camera (I have to assume it works with a mouse as well).

It makes for some great photo ops!

Lots of fun screenshots will come out of Max Payne 3. Sometimes when you kill the final enemy in the room via shootdodge, it'll show it from the enemy's point of view as Max is flying through the air and just looking stylish as hell. Wielding two pistols maximizes the slickness.

JohngPR

Anyone know how to switch shoulder view? When I'm near something, I can press Q, get in cover and it'll switch shoulder side when I leave cover again but that's not really a viable option. Don't see anything under controls?

It is Left and Right on the d-pad with the 360 remote so I'm assuming it'll probably be the arrow keys.

Alxjn

H key. Under Camera Toggle.

Finally a well done pc version of a Rockstar game. Runs really smooth on my laptop at 720p with DX11 and highest settings on everything else except MSAA. I'm frankly stunned after what they did with GTA4 and LA Noire.

Alxjn

Jesus Christ =/

What worked for me was going into properties > compatibility on the .exe and checking the box at the bottom that says, "run as administrator". Then try to run the game through Steam.

Riggs

Banned
What worked for me was going into properties > compatibility on the .exe and checking the box at the bottom that says, "run as administrator". Then try to run the game through Steam.

ERR_OS_VISta Service Pack 1 or higher is required to run the game.

Wow ... just wow. I am on Windows7 SP1. Thanks for tip at least.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Does anyone know what's up with those white edges around Max?

555555554zidy.png

Riggs

Banned
Finally got it to work. For all those having same issue as I was.

Right click the Executable, run in Vista sp2 compatability mode. Also check run as admin. Launch game from steam. Fun tyme ahead!

Spayro

This thing drives me mad. Wish I bought it retail, that way at least I could've played the damn thing.
Stupid me thinking a rockstar game would work for me on launch. Did anyone activate the game fine just now? what am I doing wrong?

Liamario

Banned
This thing drives me mad. Wish I bought it retail, that way at least I could've played the damn thing.
Stupid me thinking a rockstar game would work for me on launch. Did anyone activate the game fine just now? what am I doing wrong?

Retail isn't working either.

Xyber

3 hours of re-installing shit and looking for a solution and not a single thing has worked. I would be glad if the game just launched and crashed right now. Damn you Rockstar, when you finally release an optimized game I can't even play it. :(

"H" key

And holy shit am I surprised with the 3D in this game. Those kill cams look so good!!

demolitio

So PC players, how's multiplayer? Is the MP enough to keep you playing the game for a bit? Does it have any lag issues online or shitty matchmaking?

I showed some restraint and didn't buy this because I wanted to hear about the PC version first.

Alright I'm done for the night. The game is awesome on PC - it's the way the game is meant to be played. The visuals are gorgeous, and the controls are excellent. I turned off MSAA and left everything else maxed out and it looks better than ever. MSAA introduces the character outline previously mentioned in the thread and comes with a relatively large FPS hit. FXAA is the way to go in this one, it seems.

Unfortunately, it's not perfect - the aiming while on the ground is extremely slow. I think they'll need to add separate settings for the sensitivity for the ground aiming in a patch or something, because as far as I can tell, nothing affects it. I also think that the keys are far too spread out, and some are even assigned to their own keys for no apparent reason. For instance, Roll is double tap X/A on consoles... there's no reason why it can't be a double tap CTRL on PC. Instead, I have to reach over to G. H is also a horrible default key to switch camera sides. Thankfully, we have configurable key bindings, but I just find these to be odd decisions.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Fuck the screenshots from this game are going to bring down the internet..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'd love for a gaffer to help me out with my cd-key issues, could anyone tell me the format of the cd-key?

Also, if anyone bought the retail version, what does it say just above the cdkey?

Riggs

Banned
Scroll up I typed my fix I'd type again but now i am on mobile. Drawing a bath, I must play this game clean!!!
Ty again corky your fix plus mine did the trick!!

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow, fucking impressed with R*, this game looks absolutely jaw dropping. And the animation is incredible!

And somehow it's all running at my native resolution on a dinky little 5770. These are the settings I use, and it runs great completely fine, I've played up to the 3rd or 4th (not sure which) chapter with absolutely 0 performance issues.

H on Kb, I mapped it to mb4 andam in live with that. Try that and see what you think. It's under kb options in settings.

Riggs

Banned
So what is your favorite weapon combo so far guys?

I am just beginning but so far I like .36 and mini uzi.

Cannot wait for DE and Saw'd Off!

Also how do I keep shooting while laying on the ground? I always get up.

Top Bottom