• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls Screenshots [Update: More Screenshots]

oracrest

Here are the finalists/Winner for the Shield contest:

shieldcontest.png

Reallink

oracrest said:
Here are the finalists/Winner for the Shield contest:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/Dark%20Souls/shieldcontest.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

The winner is easily the worst shield of the bunch by an incredibly wide margin.

RyanDG

oracrest said:
Here is the one I painted up...

b1295dcf.jpg

Your shield deserves a backstory. Did you come up with some sort of 'lore' to inspire the design or just go for the make something interesting looking route?

ZeroRay

Reallink said:
The winner is easily the worst shield of the bunch by an incredibly wide margin.

If it gets into the game, It's probably because it will take the least amount of work to create. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, I can't decide between the eyeball shield or the one with the guy being tortured. Good stuff.

Reallink

ZeroRay said:
If it gets into the game, It's probably because it will take the least amount of work to create. :lol

I actually had the same thing typed out in an edit--that it was rigged for the easiest and cheapest to implement, but deleted it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, the winner sucks, it looks a daisy. I don't want a fucking flower on my shield, I want some sick shit like the eyeballs.

Raide

Snuggler said:
Yeah, the winner sucks, it looks a daisy. I don't want a fucking flower on my shield, I want some sick shit like the eyeballs.

I want a shield that is made of the skin and skull of a Man-eater.

oracrest

RyanDG said:
Your shield deserves a backstory. Did you come up with some sort of 'lore' to inspire the design or just go for the make something interesting looking route?

Just a sort of symmetrical celtic design tree. No real story. i did a few thumbnails of others, but this was the only one I then painted up and added color to.

I really like this one..

entry12.jpg

RyanDG

Raide said:
I want a shield that is made of the skin and skull of a Man-eater.

Screw a shield. You should be able to skin the monsters a live and wear their pelts still dripping with demon blood.

Raide

RyanDG said:
Screw a shield. You should be able to skin the monsters a live and wear their pelts still dripping with demon blood.

Thats one aspect I love from Monster Hunter. Making things from monsters you kill. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oracrest = Best one

The one by oracrest is better than most of those. Easily smashes the "winner". Ready for me to dethrone the so-called best shield? Here you go: "';,;"'

I like the flame one as well. I like a few of them really... except for the *cough* sunflower.

oracrest

Yoshichan said:
oracrest = Best one

Aw, thanks bro!

All in all, I think they picked some good ones, and I don't really mind the winner. I think it will look cool actually. Nice blue/yellow color balance, and the design is nice and simple.

That's what is fun about these contests, you never really know what the tastes of the team that's judging is going to be.

Gvaz

Banned
The winner one fucking sucks, give me the eyeball tree or the dude with chains or the demon/angel or literally any of the rest. God damn that one sucks.

Who do I email to show my displeasure?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Uploaded them so that everyone can see:

R3C3w.jpg

3t5Hb.jpg

gFvot.jpg

kJ5IP.jpg

9Z3M5.jpg

sKof3.jpg

cj_iwakura

That shield reminds me of House Greyjoy, oracrest. Nice stuff.

My favorite was probably the coat of arms with the horse. Or the angel. (Golden beast w/ wings.)

ironcreed

Banned
Find someone hiding in a coffin when you invade their game and you can ensure that it ends up being their own. Good stuff.

oracrest

cj_iwakura said:
That shield reminds me of House Greyjoy, oracrest. Nice stuff.

Thanks. I should actually specify that I submitted the shield, but it's more my nephew's work. I was using the contest as an opportunity to teach him some tricks in photoshop, and let him use my tablet PC. because he was wanting to learn. So he did all the grunt work, but we brainstormed the design together, and I was hovering over his shoulder and showing him things the whole time ;)

Yoshichan

TheJollyCorner said:
haven't played Demon's Souls yet... but hot damn... I think I'll get this (both, actually).
DO IT!

so is there a certain way to condition yourself to play these games (well, more specifically, Demon's Souls- since it's the only one out now)?

For example, I'm guessing patience is a key to survive (the anti-God of War)- but I've heard people say it's ridiculously difficult, and some people say it's pretty easy if played 'the right way'.

Maybe I should take this inquiry to the official thread...

Yoshichan

TheJollyCorner said:
so is there a certain way to condition yourself to play these games (well, more specifically, Demon's Souls- since it's the only one out now)?

For example, I'm guessing patience is a key to survive (the anti-God of War)- but I've heard people say it's ridiculously difficult, and some people say it's pretty easy if played 'the right way'.

Definitely take this into the official thread :)!

The_Monk

I have the Collectors Edition for the PS3 pre-ordered, which is strange because Demon's Souls took me around 60 hours to finish in a one-year time (because everytime I died I had to turn off my PS3 and take a moment to recover my Zen, then try again after a day or two).

Why am I wanting MORE?

By the way, I have not been following all the news but why did they sent me an email after I solved that puzzle on preparetodie.com? I got a strange puzzle-thing...

TheJollyCorner said:

They key to Demon's Souls and most likely Dark Souls is to never let your guard down. Lets say you kill an enemy no problem, don't let it get to your head because you will get fucked. Treat every single encounter like it's a difficult one, always be careful in any environment. That's about all I can say.

Oh and if something looks like you have no chance of beating it yet, then it's probably true *recalls early red-eye knight sighting in Demon's Souls*

-Pyromaniac- said:
They key to Demon's Souls and most likely Dark Souls is to never let your guard down. Lets say you kill an enemy no problem, don't let it get to your head because you will get fucked. Treat every single encounter like it's a difficult one, always be careful in any environment. That's about all I can say.

Oh and if something looks like you have no chance of beating it yet, then it's probably true *recalls early red-eye knight sighting in Demon's Souls*

True that.

DS is never easy the first time through because face it, you are a human being and you will make mistakes. When you go into uncharted territory you will make a ton of mistakes and in DS that means death.

Also one important thing to avoid is fleeing into uncharted territory. It's better to flee the way you came.

This game doesn't have any ridiculous exclusive (game related) content thats pre-order only right?

I may be moving in the giving months, so it's hard for me to pre-order from a store or online outlet where I don't even know where my address may be in the upcoming months.

The_Monk

lowhighkang_LHK said:
This game doesn't have any ridiculous exclusive (game related) content thats pre-order only right?

I may be moving in the giving months, so it's hard for me to pre-order from a store or online outlet where I don't even know where my address may be in the upcoming months.

No, as far as I know. You do have a Limited Edition that, in case you want you should pre-order to make sure you won't miss it.

Top Bottom