• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam Store Update: Trailer Categories and Limit of Two Videos Before Screenshots

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The display of trailers on Steam store pages have been updated today to address some frustrations we've heard from players when trying to find gameplay videos or navigate to screenshots. These changes include new logic that determines the order of trailers and screenshots, plus the ability to specify a category for each trailer to show to players.

Personally, I think this is a welcome update - if I click on a store page and have to scroll past 10 videos to see the screenshots, I'll usually just exit out and look at something else. This will limit videos to two (at the beginning) and any other videos will be shown after the screenshots.

Steam keeps winning.

kicker

Banned
It's great that they have a standard for them now. I already set steam to skip videos on store pages and start displaying from screenshots.

Really though I would figure they'd have the option to see just screenshots, just videos, or a mix of both. They already allow so much fine-tuning of other aspects and it seemed the next step after allowing autoplay options.

It's strange that I'm asking for something so specific, but the store is so damn functional already

It pisses me off that I've turned off defaulting to videos about a hundred times over the last 10+ years and it always ends up back on anyway. Please Volvo fix.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This just illustrates how far Steam is ahead of every other store on PC and consoles. And people complain about disoverability on Steam when it's night and day as compared to anything else.

Don't get me started with the Switch or Sony's stores.

LRKD

2 videos before screenshot is based. Too many devs misuse the trailers to post 5+ cinematic trailers that give you 0 idea of what the game even is. I'd rather just see still screenshots then another cinematic trailer. If devs had gameplay trailers at the front that also would've helped this never be a issue in the first place.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2 videos before screenshot is based. Too many devs misuse the trailers to post 5+ cinematic trailers that give you 0 idea of what the game even is. I'd rather just see still screenshots then another cinematic trailer. If devs had gameplay trailers at the front that also would've helped this never be a issue in the first place.
Valve knows what's up. From the link in the OP to this announcement (aimed towards devs):

Best practices: Get right to the action and show lots of gameplay

What I also find funny about this update is that the devs who were the worst offenders of this are the ones that are going to be impacted the most negatively by this change.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Cute Aigis waifu

805083.jpg

LRKD

Cute Aigis waifu
Thank you, it's my Good smile Parfom Aigis (and Labrys) figure. I really like them, the perfect mix of faithful, and chibi.
Valve knows what's up. From the link in the OP to this announcement (aimed towards devs):

Best practices: Get right to the action and show lots of gameplay

What I also find funny about this update is that the devs who were the worst offenders of this are the ones that are going to be impacted the most negatively by this change.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Valve is a legend for this, the whole announcement is just calling them out on there bs.

Top Bottom