• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GiantBomb - TitanFall framerate in mech combat is not fixed in Xbox One retail code

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyprac

If the game runs as good as the beta I will be happy. The most important thing is the game is a blast to play.

I also own the PS4 and have nothing to play on the system right now tried Killzone and the game just was not fun to play and the 1080p / 60fps they claimed was BS but that didn't even matter if the multiplayer was fun but it's not.

If history tell us anything. Don't every buy ps console just for killzone Lol. Other than that, that no games statement is like beating a zombie horse to death.

KOHIPEET

I'm calling it, it was pushed to make Launch window.

The game went from trade shows which were showing Pre-alpha builds that were running on PC's. To what they called a closed alpha, to the Beta which I played, then to release.

With the issues they are having sounds like they rushed Optimization, instead of pleading with EA and MS for another couple months to polish everything. ANd maybe use the new features that recently MS was touting in an update to developer's.

The gameplay is awesome and polished, but the assets seems to have optimization issues, when there is a lot going on, mainly titans all on screen and all the effects that encompass.

From what people like Giantbomb were saying about how much is in the game, from issues with servers, to the bad frame rates, sounds like the engine along with MS driver/SKD updates needed more time in the pven.

Yeah, this seems to make the most sense. It just sucks that in the end, it is the developer who picks the shortest stick.
Even though it isn't really my type of a game, I hope it will do well.

TheD

The Detective
Been playing all day, game is a blast :)

Sorry if numbers get in the way for fun for some of you guys.

Those numbers represent how smooth and responsive the game is, if they are low it impacts how enjoyable the game is to play!

Telling of what though?

I think a lot of people are laying this on the XBO, and I really don't think that's the case. This game isn't even vaguely too demanding for the system, something else has gone wrong here.

the beta ran like dogshit on my pc too
framedrops everywhere:\

If history tell us anything. Don't every buy ps console just for killzone Lol. Other than that, that no games statement is like beating a zombie horse to death.

Lmao this post. Never give up.

Seems like the framerate issues didnt impact the score on polygon huh?

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, this seems to make the most sense. It just sucks that in the end, it is the developer who picks the shortest stick.
Even though it isn't really my type of a game, I hope it will do well.

Me too, they got my and room mates money :).

Just wish Developers had more say when they want more time, especially people like Vince and his team. I mean 90 people worked on a game from Pre-alpha in the late summer and got it to go gold by End of February that is no easy task.

Steffen

Banned
Those numbers represent how smooth and responsive the game is, if they are low it impacts how enjoyable the game is to play!

If only those numbers were official. Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't seen any video analysis of how bad this framerate drop actually is. Did I miss a post that went into detail about this, or are we all just taking a reviewer's word as gospel?

Eoin

what about all those times it drops to 30-40 fps and there's frameskipping because of it? What about all the times it drops below 30 fps?
conveniently ignore those
The framerate was fine for the vast majority of the time while on foot and only really dropped into the 40's when in a Titan. I never found it to be a hinderance to gameplay. I know you had some serious issues when you tried the beta on PC, I think you may be projecting your experiences from that onto the Xbox version. The Screen tearing was a far bigger issue than the framerate, imo.

I really don't understand.

Are there any Source games that have 64bit builds? Maybe the memory addressing is a train wreck because there wasn't much to build from?

idk man

I know cs go suffered from stuttering when it was first released (though I did still have an average of 100++ fps) but that was patched later, never seen a source game perform like this

Papacheeks

Banned
I really don't understand.

Are there any Source games that have 64bit builds? Maybe the memory addressing is a train wreck because there wasn't much to build from?

Actually Holly crap, I didn't think of that. Especially when you consider all the issues back in the day with Vista and Windows 7 64 bit and games like Left 4 dead. Memory crashes and issues all over the place until steam and Microsoft updated OS and the game.

Yea source is mostly handled by Dx9.

TheD

The Detective
If only those numbers were official. Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't seen any video analysis of how bad this framerate drop actually is. Did I miss a post that went into detail about this?

That does not mean that you can dismiss framerate as just an unimportant number!

Steffen

Banned
That does not mean that you can dismiss framerate as just an unimportant number!

Of course not. But what I'm saying is if the framerate only dips in rare occasions, and for the most part maintains 50-60fps, then is it really that big of a deal? It seems everyone's freaking out about a few sentences of one review taken out of context of the rest of the review and is assuming the game plays like shit.

If the game really did play as awfully as some are assuming, don't you think it would have affected the scores of all the other reviews out there?

pooptest

Of course not. But what I'm saying is if the framerate only dips in rare occasions, and for the most part maintains 50-60fps, then is it really that big of a deal? It seems everyone's freaking out about a few sentences of one review taken out of context of the rest of the review and is assuming the game plays like shit.

If the game really did play as awfully as some are assuming, don't you think it would have affected the scores of all the other reviews out there?

I don't know. I think they were pretty harsh to GT5 when they posted all those Forza / GT5 comparison videos showing the FPS display/graph. "Oh my, the framerate just dipped to 58 on GT5. Game is broken!" And even that game was pushing more pixels on a previous gen console. (Yes, textures, effects, etc. I know all that.) Albeit 2 completely different genres, but when it comes to dips they aren't being judged evenly, either.

The framerate isn't dropping, your just witnessing the Titan's imax monitors losing power and stuttering during intense combat while its circuits get banged around. Its an immersive feature.

thats a joke

TheD

The Detective

Jeff said that it dips into single digit framerates during some gameplay situations (single digits = unplayable!, so yeah, it is a big deal) and even when not in those situations, the game has some framerate hitchers (which was shown to be true by DF in the beta).
Nothing was taken out of context!

Other reviews not talking about framerate issues does not mean anything, at least not with how bad game reviewers have shown themselves to be in the past with pointing out major performance problems.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Jeff said that it dips into single digit framerates during some gameplay situations (single digits = unplayable!, so yeah, it is a big deal) and even when not in those situations, the game has some framerate hitchers (which was shown to be true by DF in the beta).

Other reviews not talking about framerate issues does not mean anything, at least not with how bad game reviewers have shown themselves to be in the past with pointing out major performance problems.
Also, take into account countries like Australia and NZ who are getting the game at the same time as the US, yet have no local Azure Servers available to them (I think, from memory, all TF traffic from Aus and NZ have to go via Singapore). Dropped frames + no local MS "Magic Cloud" is going to be a double kick to them.

Eusis

By the way in regards to the resolution: I doubt it would've made a difference if it was that dire. It's barely above 720p, and going by my own experiences on PC even 720p to 1080p wasn't a huge difference though it did start stumbling more. The effect settings did more then.

pooptest

From the DF beta video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_yRdB5plvg#t=0), it seems like enemy titans tank the fps. It got down to 34fps when there was 3 titans on the screen. Silky-smooth frame rates due to the cloud? Ooooooh yaaaaaaaa.

VanWinkle

Woah, that's messed up. I would classify those (single digit framerates and screen tearing) as major technical problems. That should be something taken in account with reviews.

Eusis

Silky-smooth frame rates due to the cloud? Ooooooh yaaaaaaaa.
Has anyone actually made those kinds of claims? Fucking PR idiots fueling delusions...

Anyways the only thing I can see "the Cloud" doing here for better gameplay is just that without being ping's not a big deal unless you're in the "wrong" region and your internet connection isn't screwy for whatever reason, and that's always the case with a good dedicated server rather than depending on everyone's home connections.
lol this guy.

this isn't resolution. frame drops definitely impact enjoyment, especially if they are regular.
Yeah, this is NOT the kind of game to go acting like this is a complete non-issue, it's a pure MP game without a single player mode and so this sort of stuff matters in a contest of skill. Frankly I don't care that much to be angry about Titanfall failing to stay at 60 FPS all the time, it is what it is, but I'm not going to act like it simply doesn't matter because I happen to be having fun.

I have been watching twitch streams for a couple of hours, a few streamers complaining about how bad the drops are, and they seem to happen quite a bit.
Again, not exactly in depth analysis, but it appears to be enough for people to be moaning about it.

Sakura

Forgetting about the single digit fps for a second (it seems pretty rare anyway) the frequent drops to 30~ frames and tearing sound pretty bad to me. Especially if you consider this is a multiplayer only, fast paced first person shooter. Maybe they can fix it post launch but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hurf

Neo Member
0ab7a895cc490d546382b702bc4cd969.gif

te3nxkS.gif

That's really disappointing. I was too busy to play the beta, but it looked fun. From the videos I've seen it looked like it ran pretty smooth. I wonder how well the final PC version runs.

Eusis

Heh, I saw that shortly afterwards, though looking at the specific quote I wonder if the writer might be jumping to conclusions. There's benefits just for having a central server do that stuff rather than trying to keep things in sync when run across multiple machines, but given the CPUs we have now and how important they actually seem to be for game processing I doubt those generic enemies were really taxing. Hell, I'm not sure those kinds of enemies have been taxing since the PS2 days with Dynasty Warriors breaking out then.

Soo is the problem related to the game engine or the hardware (X1)? I'd like to think the former, since people on PC also complain of framerate drops I believe.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Honestly, he's not wrong. Graphics don't look great, the framerate is rocky and there isn't a single player component.

It's really disappointing for a "next generation" console. It might be Respawns fault for a poorly optimized game, but it definitely doesn't seem like a false trend so far.

Steffen

Banned
Soo is the problem related to the game engine or the hardware (X1)? I'd like to think the former, since people on PC also complain of framerate drops I believe.

Framerate drops existed on the PC beta, even on a high-end rig, so it's likely to be the engine and not necessarily the XO that's causing it. But we'll probably have to wait for Digital Foundry's evaluation to learn more about the situation. I'm more than sure they'll go into it.

Steffen

Banned
Honestly, he's not wrong. Graphics don't look great, the framerate is rocky and there isn't a single player component.

It's really disappointing for a "next generation" console. It might be Respawns fault for a poorly optimized game, but it definitely doesn't seem like a false trend so far.

He's not completely wrong and not completely right, but his attempt at a joke is very lowest common denominator.

Not to mention the game is also for Windows and exhibited some of the same framerate and tearing problems during the beta. So it's likely the game engine just needs some patching in general.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He's not completely wrong and not completely right, but his attempt at a joke is very lowest common denominator.

Not to mention the game is also for Windows and exhibited some of the same framerate and tearing problems during the beta. So it's likely the game engine just needs some patching in general.

I was in the beta.

mid-range rig.

i5 2400k @ 3.8GHz, GTX 570 1.2Gb VRAM, 8GB DDR3 RAM.

With adaptive V-Sync forced and texture resolutions set to high (as opposed to insane) the game ran pretty consistently at 60fps.

Steffen

Banned
I was in the beta.

mid-range rig.

i5 2400k @ 3.8GHz, GTX 570 1.2Gb VRAM, 8GB DDR3 RAM.

With adaptive V-Sync forced and texture resolutions set to high (as opposed to insane) the game ran pretty consistently at 60fps.

i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, GTX 670, 8GB DDR3 RAM.
1920x1080, textures set to Insane.

FPS dipped down to 40 at times, tearing evident. Regardless, we're discussing a game that hasn't had any patches yet. It might not be the most impressive next-gen game we've ever seen, but it's definitely not the worst, and Respawn has said they're continuing to optimize it. They've been very upfront with us about everything so far, so why are we suddenly doubting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom