• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: the secret sauce of Titanfall is Microsoft's cloud

WoolyNinja

Link to article

Some of the great quotes:
Many look at Titanfall as the first true next-gen game, offering an experience we haven't seen on last-generation hardware (think: the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360).

Because Titanfall's advanced AI is handled by the Azure servers, your Xbox's or PC's innards can be used to achieve more detailed graphics and the game's silky-smooth frame rate.

Much more at the link

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/10/titanfall-cloud-explained/?ncid=rss_truncated

While you were busy running along walls and throwing missiles back at your opponents during the Titanfall beta, countless data centers across the world were making sure that each AI-controlled Titan bodyguard had your back. Much of the frenetic action in Respawn Entertainment's debut game rests on one thing: Microsoft's Azure cloud infrastructure.

Up until last November, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's baby was mostly used for business applications, like virtualization and acting as an enterprise-level email host. With the Xbox One, though, the company opened up its global server farms to game developers, giving them access to more computing power than could reasonably be stuffed into a $500 game console. Since the Xbox One's debut, Microsoft has been crowing about how Azure would let designers create gaming experiences players have never seen before. Now it's time for the product to speak for itself.

With Tuesday's release of the online-multiplayer-only Titanfall, Redmond's gamble takes center stage. Players are no doubt concerned about the game's stability at launch. With one look at the problems that plagued Diablo III, SimCity and Battlefield 4, consumer skepticism is easy to understand. The folks behind Titanfall believe they've got a not-so-secret weapon to circumvent the foibles those games endured, or are still enduring, in Microsoft's server infrastructure. It's been in place and running pretty successfully since 2011.

Respawn engineer Jon Shiring says that since the beta ended, some skeptical devs have already changed their minds about the feasibility of using Azure for the parts of a game traditionally handled by a user's console or PC. In Titanfall's case, that largely includes artificial-intelligence-powered teammates.

Because Titanfall's advanced AI is handled by the Azure servers, your Xbox's or PC's innards can be used to achieve more detailed graphics and the game's silky-smooth frame rate. The Titan bodyguards, dropships and legions of AI-controlled combatants are essentially free from a processing-power standpoint. Without Redmond's cloud, it's highly likely that Titanfall's six-versus-six player limit would be painfully apparent. Since these features live on remote servers, though, making sure they seamlessly appear in-game is paramount.

This article is both damning and hopeful of Xbox's future. Hopeful in the sense that the azure network is making netcode work well. Damning somewhat in the sense that despite offloading ai resources to the cloud. The graphical focus has not really delivered if the extra processing power was available. Would be interesting to see the 360 or pc non azure version

Mugatu

Maybe cboat was right - it does run at 720p and it just gets an extra 72p from the cloud?

EDIT: I haven't read the article yet but that sounds a lot like the typical magical cloud talk we've been hearing since day one - just my opinion.

JeffGrubb

Makes sense that the bot AI is handled in the cloud. Everyone is reaching out to the server. Better than having it player-hosted.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Yeah, everytime I see anything about "the cloud," all I picture are snake oil salesmen. It's just such a tough piece of tech to "prove" to consumers.

This quote was interesting, though.

"Having these servers with a significant amount of CPU power and bandwidth available is absolutely essential to our game: Having these machines that are regional and servers that have good ping -- that's huge," he says. "That has completely changed the way we make games."

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
While I don't mind the grunts being stupid, as that is their purpose, I would like to see improved Auto-Titan AI.

pronk420

seeing the behaviour of the bots in the streams, i started to wonder if the netcode to transfer and process the data from the servers would actually take more processing power than running the 'AI' locally...

I'm not sure those dumb as fuck bots are a good showcase for SECRET SAUCE power of the cloud.

But at least it helps making the game prettier so our hardware doesn't have to use power on that. All that 792p, imagine what that would have been without the power of the cloud, or how low res the textures would have been...

Seriously engadget, that article is pure PR spin.

As much as I enjoyed the Titanfall beta and presumably will enjoy the actual released product, there is nothing about the game that screams next-gen--most of all, the visuals.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The grunts are processed by the cloud?

Guess that explains the NEXT GEN AI

ibcScddzH9ft8.gif

darkwing

seeing the behaviour of the bots in the streams, i started to wonder if the netcode to transfer and process the data from the servers would actually take more processing power than running the 'AI' locally...

it simulates the 'lag' of online players

Yoda

Many look at Titanfall as the first true next-gen game, offering an experience we haven't seen on last-generation hardware (think: the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360).

Pretty sure its on the 360? So its a cross-gen experience? lol.

WalkMan

Banned
They've basically just marketized the hell out of server-side computation. You think the AI in MOBA's are done client-side? It's always been up to the server to calculate the placements and actions of the multiplayer NPCs.

I can't wait until later this gen when they start advertising "local cloud" and trying to convince people that your local computations are being done through your personal cloud.

Effect

Considering how stupid the AI bots are, that's not such a good endorsement for the Azure cloud.

This. Unless things were turned off in the beta I don't see how this is a good endorsement of this setup. If there is even something setup and they aren't lying their ass off. As much as I enjoyed myself I saw nothing advanced about the AI in the game. Nothing even close.

WoolyNinja

How can it be a true next-gen game when it's also going to be on the 360?

Exactly - it makes no sense.

Also, anyone that knows how games run knows the AI can't run strictly on the server. If a game runs @ 30fps then the AI needs to run at least 30fps and thats impossible on the internet in its current state.

But maybe that is why the AI is so terrible in the game? Maybe they make a call to the server every 15 frames to get AI logic that by the time it gets back to the game is 15 frames old.

Top Bottom