• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

This is how I feel as a GoW UE day 1 player that has not received his code for the Gears of War 4 Beta :(

tumblr_m8czxyY2o91r1b9vqo1_500.gif

I've gone from annoyed to just seriously pissed off.

The incompetency when it comes to code distribution for this series is off the charts.

Microsoft's second biggest franchise and they can't give enough of a shit to get code distribution right, whether it be for the beta or for the back-compat games.

Such a shit show.

PREORDER GOW:UE FOR GEARS 4 EARLY BETA ACCESS @ some point before the beta is open to everyone.....hopefully....maybe not...2late you already brought it

Big Brett

So, how are people enjoying the beta? I only played for about two lives so I haven't really had a chance to gather my thoughts.

wrens

Neo Member
I joked with my friend that this would happen after having a hell of a time getting my GUE beta code last year. Played the game day one and of course, nothing so far. Pretttty dumb.

btags

Sounds more like he's bad at the game and is tired of getting curb stomped by all the good players online.

I get that response, and I get that people could say that Gears is mainly shotgun based and all about rolling and wall bouncing and whatever. I know this sort of argument comes up often for sequels, and people say,"well don't expect them to change the game to something it is not," but gears is in a weird position that defies mose games in this respect; the single player is very much "stop and pop" but then the multiplayer is a whole other beast based on shotgun and movement. I cannot fault people for saying they do not like traditional gears style multiplayer, because in my mind there are two types of ways to play gears (tactical cover based versus movement and shotgun based) that are both represented equally in the game as a whole (one in single player and one in multiplayer, respectively), but the latter is much more predominant in multiplayer. So for me, I see those saying that shotguns, rolling, etc. should be toned down are not actively against gears, but rather supportive of the type of gameplay that is seen in the single player.

Am I insane to think this?

Pretty lame. My friend who bought Gears: UE a month ago and only played like 5 games of MP got his code almost 4 hours ago. Day 1 buyer here and put hours and hours into MP with no code... Glad I decided to not take the day off from work.

nOoblet16

I get that response, and I get that people could say that Gears is mainly shotgun based and all about rolling and wall bouncing and whatever. I know this sort of argument comes up often for sequels, and people say,"well don't expect them to change the game to something it is not," but gears is in a weird position that defies mose games in this respect; the single player is very much "stop and pop" but then the multiplayer is a whole other beast based on shotgun and movement. I cannot fault people for saying they do not like traditional gears style multiplayer, because in my mind there are two types of ways to play gears (tactical cover based versus movement and shotgun based) that are both represented equally in the game as a whole (one in single player and one in multiplayer, respectively), but the latter is much more predominant in multiplayer. So for me, I see those saying that shotguns, rolling, etc. should be toned down are not actively against gears, but rather supportive of the type of gameplay that is seen in the single player.

Am I insane to think this?

Yea you cannot really play "tactical cover based" in Gears if you meant using cover and shooting from cover. It's momentum based OR you play it slow amd held back but with power weapons...that is the only alternative.

I know it works because that is how I play, since my movement gameplay is average at best but I still manage top scores since I know when to run and when to attack. So even the power weapons players need to know how to run and dash using the cover system but for defensive purpose.

TMWNN35

I'm a developer at the Coalition (SP campaign, not MP)

Bummed to hear people aren't getting their codes,

Looking at xbox.com I see I have received mine, 1st person to quote this with a link to their XBL profile so I can confirm they are a gears MP aficionado can have it.

btags

Looking at xbox.com I see I have received mine, 1st person to quote this with a link to their XBL profile so I can confirm they are a gears MP aficionado can have it.

Nice of you to do.

Megatron

Just checked and got my code at 9:30 this morning! I got my physical game on launch day from the ms store but didnt actually play it for a few months.

nOoblet16

I "feel" chainsaw revs up quite quick and is a lot more magnetic than before...could be wrong since I've been playing UE lately but might be something to test.

But as I said before; Hammerburst is poo, shotguns do a bit more damage than they should and some weapons need balancing with audio cues like grenades and torque bow.

Also an important thing that I'd like, the weapon icon in tac screen are too small and very faded especially for far off weapons. They should be brighter as in more white and a bit bigger (perhaps an automatic size scaling that keeps far away weapons the same size as the nearby ones...only in Tac screen though). But the most important one is making them less faded in an more opaque/white.

Just played 3 matches against hardcore bots ...

... WOW. They were playing hard, no joke. We were getting pushed legitimately on several occasions.

This is an excellent training ground. Bravo Coalition, Bravo.

Also, game looks clean as hell. Sterile isn't a word I'd use, but it doesn't look terrible by any stretch.

Still hoping they drop both MP and SP to 900p and turn everything up

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I played the beta and on Day 1 but no code. I was kinda hoping to have one now (didn't expect to have one right when it went live).

RdN

Every time something involves a code being sent through Xbox Live, you can expect trouble.

They never can get it right.

Just played 3 matches against hardcore bots ...

... WOW. They were playing hard, no joke. We were getting pushed legitimately on several occasions.

This is an excellent training ground. Bravo Coalition, Bravo.

Also, game looks clean as hell. Sterile isn't a word I'd use, but it doesn't look terrible by any stretch.

Still hoping they drop both MP and SP to 900p and turn everything up

Dam is the only map that looks bad graphically right now, the other two look nice.

Montresor

I know I'm super late but here you go anyway. :p I always enjoy it when a dev chimes in in OTs or any threads. Gamertag is OdadjianActual. I know Gordon0Freeman is the guy to win the code. ^_^

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamerTag=OdadjianActual

I played the beta and on Day 1 but no code. I was kinda hoping to have one now (didn't expect to have one right when it went live).

Same here. I never expect to be in the first wave with stuff like this. But it rubs me the wrong way when my friend gets it before me and hardly played Gears:UE. On top of that, he played 2 games of the beta said the movement sucks, camera is in an awkward place and the TTK is too long. Then uninstalled the beta and went back to COD. What a waste of a beta code....

wrens

Neo Member

Got "Seriously" back in Gears 1, for whatever that's worth. :p

Big Brett

Nope, definitely seems like he hates it because he can't play lol. I'm sure if he got gud there would be no issue.

Lol what a noob I can't believe this noob doesn't like the game because of what a n00b he is.

Anyway, let him have his opinion. Gears has been unchanged since 2. People like the formula, others don't. Respect it.

So, how are people enjoying the beta? I only played for about two lives so I haven't really had a chance to gather my thoughts.

It's pretty good. Took me a few games to get used to being back to having the bullets coming from the actual gun and not the center of the screen. The graphics are fine imo. Gears UE had some nasty aliasing, but here they have pretty nice AA that does a really good job. The image is somewhat blurred though because of it. Some performance issues, but I'm sure that will be fixed for the final version. I doubt it will look noticeably better though.

Now for the actual game. The new mode, Dodgeball, is a lot of fun. It's much better than TDM, and I really hope that it becomes the new main mode (Execution/Warzone will never be the biggest mode again). The game doesn't feel quite as tight as Gears 3. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it feels off somehow. Perhaps it's the new weapon sounds or the fact that the movement isn't quite the same. The weight of the characters is different, which might not be noticeable for most people, but for those who spent hundreds, or even thousands, of hours on Gears 3 will notice it. The new movement stuff is great. Being able to vault over cover and just keep on running is awesome. Pulling people over cover is also a lot of fun.

Overall I am enjoying it more and more. The three maps are all good too. There are some weapon balancing to be done and there are clearly some sound effects missing, but that should all be fixed before launch anyway.

Top Bottom