• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Boke1879

What would people think if Square announced that after the first game is released, they will treat it as a service and keep adding content every 3-4 months and adding to the story, sidquests, etc. Riot or good idea?

I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they did. They'd still probably release part 2, but for the first game they'd still add content to keep people engaged in the game. Similar to FFXV. Timed monster hunts, minigames, etc.

Biske

So glad I'm not a huge FF7 fan so I'm not eagerly waiting for them to work out their nonsense.

I get why most companies wont or cant do it, but something like the reveal and release of Fallout 4 is that they should emulate. But hearing about a game 2 or 3 or more years before it comes out? And it still seems to be an uncertain mess Naaaaaaah.

I'm really worried about this remake. It's something that I thought I wanted for over 10 years now but the more I look at it, the more I start to realize that everything that made the original special to me is gone.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Nomura must be removed from any senior position. Square Enix is suffering because of his inefficiency. He might have directed the two first Kingdom Hearts games, but the man has lost his way and is dragging the company down.

They probably tried to replace Sakaguchi with Nomura as the "auteur", but not even current Sakaguchi is as good as old Sakaguchi. Nevermind a guy who styles his hair as if he was an animé character and hasn't created anything solid, cohesive and complete in years.

Maybe everyone at SE is a pod person so they don't know how to make games, but if they admit it then their body snatcher conspiracy will be found out

Everyone rags on Nomura, but Kitase deserves just as much criticism. He's been the producer on all of Nomura's games. It's part of his job to make sure Nomura and his team stay on budget and schedule.

Garlador

im gonna be like 35 when this launches, im 26

I was 19 when Noctis first showed up. I was 30 when his game finally came out, having graduated high school, went through two colleges, moved to 4 different cities, met my wife, got married, and basically went through 1/3rd of my entire life thus far.

... Square Enix loves announcing games far more than making them.

Nah, I am just someone who hated Spirits Within. Shit movie that Sakaguchi never should have made in the first place. It set a domino effect leading to the current SE.
tumblr_nize9kFgpu1rtorllo1_1280.png
Would have been much better if it wasn't called "Final Fantasy".

Asd202

Everyone rags on Nomura, but Kitase deserves just as much criticism. He's been the producer on all of Nomura's games. It's part of his job to make sure Nomura and his team stay on budget and schedule.

It's funny because even Sakaguchi said that Kitase is not a good producer.

The same thing he's been doing since he became the producer. Jack Shit.

Subjective quality aside, his BD1 is responsible for three complete games (LR trilogy) in the shitshow that was S-E last gen. They delivered when they were called upon.

I liked all three as games, but not as FFs if that makes sense. :D

Eylos

Banned
Good old Days, where i believed Square would do something for the 20th anniversary of final fantasy 7, even the release of the First part or a release date.

Now i believe in the full release of the game in the 25th anniversary in 2022

jett

D-Member
Good old Days, where i believed Square would do something for the 20th anniversary of final fantasy 7, even the release of the First part or a release date.

Now i believe in the full release of the game in the 25th anniversary in 2022

I see you're an optimist.

Godcannon

I'm not completely up to speed on every detail, but iirc, Kitase wanted to preserve the original as much as possible and Nomura wanted to change it to appeal to newer audiences.

At first I just rolled with it because I can't really do much about it anyways, but now it seems like Nomuras "ambitious" approach is only A. Making it take forever once again to release the title and it B. Runs the risk of dramatically changing an already established masterpiece.

I don't want to see what happened to VS XIII happen to my GOAT. By the time VS XIII came out as XV, it went from being my most anticipated game to something I didn't even give a shit about to play.

Pls......

It's already been said 100x but they also keep doing the same shit over and over. I really hope they have some tricks up their sleeves, I want to believe!!!!!!!

Canucked

With FFXV still ongoing and FFVIIr in long development, what are the odds that the FFXVI team is trucking along fine with a game we will see between?

This project already has all the marks of a flaming disaster that will be stuck in development hell for years while SE continues to throw good money after bad. Just stop. I don't understand how a publisher this bad has managed to stay in business for this long, for real.

Koozek

They took away Versus/XV from him and gave it to someone else. Also someone else is handling the day to day on KH3.

We have a new game lead on FF7R.

They're not exactly leaving him alone ,and he isn't CEO. I doubt he has the power to greenlight/shutdown development.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that he has been thrust into the sort of roles that Sakaguchi and Kitase have played in the past, but there's an utterly crucial difference: he isn't very good at those roles. I think this is evident in both the games he's failed to deliver and the games he's delivered.

He is, obviously, a phenomenal character designer and ideas man. I'm astonished he continues to work in roles beyond this, though, as the continued struggles have indicated he's probably not up to it - too much of a perfectionist, too unwilling to compromise, etc.

Some people are just better off in different roles. I think this is fairly true of somebody like Hiroyuki Ito, too - I think he's most at home designing systems and overseeing gameplay and things, and I think a lot of the pacing problems in FF9 and FF12 (amazing as they are) are probably down to him being more focused there. Somebody who can find the balance is rare (and for my money, Kitase is so far the only one to fairly consistently deliver a balance - even Tabata didn't with FF15). MMOs aside, anyway.

In many ways he is Final Fantasy to them, in that his look and his style has defined the series for the past 20 years now. KH, also, is his baby. So no matter how badly he's fucked things up, he's extremely valuable to Square, and it's in their interests to keep him sweet and keep him from considering leaving the company, to be fair. Versus/15 went wrong under him, but there were extraneous factors outside of Nomura himself, such as his team getting gutted to help fix 13 and 14 as they struggled and stumbled - giving him another shot likely wasn't that big an ask, all things considered. He's very valuable in other ways. For instance, Nomura retains a sort of 'creative control' over his characters, and so he works hard with, say, the products division on how they're used. So if SE Products is doing a new Lightning action figure, he directly feeds back on it, requests changes, signs off on it, etc. He's very deeply embedded in a lot of the business.

(With this said, I predict FF16 won't have a Nomura art style. I think the main lesson from the Versus/15 debacle is that they need to extract the FF brand from the influence of any one creator too heavily.)
Exactly.

This was interesting in the recent Polygon feature:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eeDDhQ3.png[/IMG]

HMD

Wait so was the remake entirely out-sourced? I thought CC2 were just handling asset creation and some minor art stuff. Why the hell would they outsource their biggest IP?

Asd202

Wait so was the remake entirely out-sourced? I thought CC2 were just handling asset creation and some minor art stuff. Why the hell would they outsource their biggest IP?

Well most people though it was to speed up development
lol

With FFXV still ongoing and FFVIIr in long development, what are the odds that the FFXVI team is trucking along fine with a game we will see between?

If it's being made by the team behind FFXIV, seems possible. We'd have to still be years away though, sounds like it's still not that far along.

Masagiwa

Remember this article? Final Fantasy VII Remake probably the most info we got out of this remake

"Square Enix is keeping close with CyberConnect2, as their production tastes differ from that of Square Enix. Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the the new trailer (laughs), so Square Enix brought it closer to the company's style."

JayEH

"Development is going smoothly." Lol

Probably wasn't a good idea to outsource your most popular game in the first place. Well whatever I wasn't expecting this game until 2019 now it might just be 2021 lol. Square needs some more realists it seems. You'd think someone like Kitase would understand things but I guess not.

TuXx

There is no XVI team. If they're recruiting people just to finish FF7R, do you think they have any available resource to develop XVI?

If it's being made by the team behind FFXIV, seems possible. We'd have to still be years away though, sounds like it's still not that far along.
FFXIV team is still busy on FFXIV. They're releasing a new expansion this summer, which will be followed by a couple years of fairly extensive content/story updates. After that, presumably, they will be working on another XIV expansion. It's a relatively small team too, so they wouldn't have the resources to spare for another AAA game.

Remember this article? Final Fantasy VII Remake probably the most info we got out of this remake

"Square Enix is keeping close with CyberConnect2, as their production tastes differ from that of Square Enix. Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the the new trailer (laughs), so Square Enix brought it closer to the company's style."

Nomura should really just be making trailers for SE. Seems to be his #1 priority.

"Square Enix is keeping close with CyberConnect2, as their production tastes differ from that of Square Enix. Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the the new trailer (laughs), so Square Enix brought it closer to the company’s style."
...what the heck Nomura? He really seems to have a thing for trailers.

But I guess that shouldn't take too long to fix right?

Arkeband

Banned
Mobius is pretty fucking awful, so this sounds like Square bit off more than they could chew with another Nomura target render fiasco ala Versus XIII and are now scrounging.

Fake news. Episode 1 will release this holiday because they wouldn't miss the anniversary year. Also KH3 development is going smoothly.

Top Bottom