• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3/360) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

FULL DISCLAIMER: I am not one to ever notice screen tearing to the point where I would call a game awful because of it. I also am familiar with framerates and am easily able to recognise when a game is running at 20, 30, 50 or even 60fps. That being said I am not an expert on these things and I do not watch things like Digital Foundry face offs and the like. So take this stuff with a grain of salt, I guess, but I am fairly certain what I have seen is what is happening.

I'm playing on an Xbox 360 via HDMI (1080p)

- The black bars are still there.
- There is still screen tearing but it is not as severe
- The framerate *feels* marginally better but I acknowledge more investigation is needed in this area.

Looking at these shots they are a bit shit and I apologise. I will *attempt* to grab some more tomorrow.

DRAGON'S DOGMA

AlgTopG.jpg

DARK ARISEN

Y9xS3Hp.jpg

DRAGON'S DOGMA

hEpWnHS.jpg

DARK ARISEN

2VDYEx4.jpg

As you can see, there is little if not NO difference. I'm not sure if the HD pack works with the original Dragon's Dogma disc or not.

I am going to investigate more tomorrow when I get a break from study / work, but for now this is all I can offer up. This includes me deleting the HD texture pack, and attempting to play without it - and then replaying it with the texture pack installed.

Sorry I can't get more for you guys right now.

I'm going to be so sad if the framerate isn't any better on the PS3 version. The framerate is one of the things that is keeping this game from being one of the best of this generation.

Nemesis_

Nemesis, is there a option to remove letterboxes?

Audio/Video Tab:

Music
Sound Effects
Voice
Voice Language
Brightness

Gameplay Tab:

Mini-Map Display
Mini-Map Rotation
Connectivity
Main Pawn Online Access
Button Guide Display
Pawn Commands Display
Status Display
Pawn Subtitles Display
Cutscene Subtitles
Cinematic Camera
Tutorial Messages Display
Vibration
Difficulty Settings

Doesn't look like it! Cinematic Camera -> Those "shots" of monsters faltering or whatever whenever a pawn finds a good opportunity to attack.

Grisby

I did grow strangely attached to that old theme. Started out hating the shit out of it and then proceeded to be singing along 40 something hours later.

Pooya

like I said weeks ago, "HD" textures are just for fitting the game on a disc for 360 so you don't swap, nothing HD about it, you don't want to play without those. just like Battlefield 3.
I like to see how it looks like without the textures installed because with it still looks very lowres and blurry :p

Nemesis_

Nemesis, is there any reason you took pictures of your screen as opposed to using the screenshot feature?

There's a screenshot feature? >_<

Jesus. As I said, have very little experience (wanted to reply many months ago but stopped when I found out DA was coming).

I see someone else has the game now, maybe they can help better than I can.

Will try to get proper screenshots tomorrow for you all then.

There's a screenshot feature? >_<

Jesus. As I said, have very little experience (wanted to reply many months ago but stopped when I found out DA was coming).

I see someone else has the game now, maybe they can help better than I can.

Will try to get proper screenshots tomorrow for you all then.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the screens look on 360 as I play on PS3, but you can take a screenshot from the main menu by selecting "photo" at the bottom.

This is what they look like on PS3, anyway:

DrFurbs

Guys can I clarify that if I buy Dark Arisen I get the original game DD free with it? Ive never played DD or any game of this type and I would like to try it. Im just wondering if I need to go buy DD first then DA after.

thank you.

Guys can I clarify that if I buy Dark Arisen I get the original game DD free with it? Ive never played DD or any game of this type and I would like to try it. Im just wondering if I need to go buy DD first then DA after.

thank you.

Yep. If you haven't played yet, DA offers the full DD experience and more.

Teknoman

Thats the worse decision ever. Why would they remove something that got people fired up for adventure?

There better be some DLC or a patch...or something.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I am not one to ever notice screen tearing to the point where I would call a game awful because of it. I also am familiar with framerates and am easily able to recognise when a game is running at 20, 30, 50 or even 60fps. That being said I am not an expert on these things and I do not watch things like Digital Foundry face offs and the like. So take this stuff with a grain of salt, I guess, but I am fairly certain what I have seen is what is happening.

I'm playing on an Xbox 360 via HDMI (1080p)

- The black bars are still there.
- There is still screen tearing but it is not as severe
- The framerate *feels* marginally better but I acknowledge more investigation is needed in this area.

Looking at these shots they are a bit shit and I apologise. I will *attempt* to grab some more tomorrow.

As you can see, there is little if not NO difference. I'm not sure if the HD pack works with the original Dragon's Dogma disc or not.

I am going to investigate more tomorrow when I get a break from study / work, but for now this is all I can offer up. This includes me deleting the HD texture pack, and attempting to play without it - and then replaying it with the texture pack installed.

Sorry I can't get more for you guys right now.

Thanks for that. It looks a tiny bit better, not saying much though. I never had a problem with how Vanilla looked on my 360 though. Black Bars usually bother me, but never did for DD, so seeing them again won't bother me in the sloghtest. Thanks.

RIP DD Main Theme. Replaced by a Nier OST reject.

Wait, what? Frying into Free is gone? Why?

I wish I could import save from DD360 to DAPS3 :[

Me too, I've switched from 360 to PS3 almost completely now, but played DD on 360.

I owe it to my old character top continue the journey, so I will be firing the Ol' 360 back up for this.

Kyoufu

Yes, would love to know this as well.

Also, maybe Dangan can be unlocked after beating Bitterblack? I will not give up on it!

Dangan is gone forever.

*hugs vanilla copy of DD*

Capcom giving the middle finger to those who sold the original game :p

Nemesis_

Nemesis, can you check to see if you have an infinite ferrystone even after starting a new game with Dark Arisen?

Yes, would love to know this as well.

Also, maybe Dangan can be unlocked after beating Bitterblack? I will not give up on it!

I'm actually confused about this. The ferrystone didn't appear in my inventory when I loaded up my original DD save.

I just started a fresh game on DA, and the ferrystone hasn't appeared there either.

So I'm not sure what the fuck is going on. I got the message saying I fucking had it and everything, but for some reason it still isn't appearing.

Fuck it's now super late, I have to sleep. I want to play a bit more and report back.

Ferr986

I'm really the only one who likes the new title song more than the older?

I mean, the wind is pushing me was awesome in a weird way, but I like this song more.

dan2026

Did they seriously letter box the game just so they wouldn't have to render as much image?

That is some of the most incompetent optimisation I have ever seen.

It's confirmed that you unlock the Dangan Helm that, when equipped, turns all background music into Dangan.

Game of forever confirmed. ;)

Dangan is gone forever.

*hugs vanilla copy of DD*

Capcom giving the middle finger to those who sold the original game :p

No! I won't believe it! Easter egg, it has to be somewhere!

Cries silently in the corner clinging to his Vanilla copy as well

Armed with his mighty skillet, the Arisen seeks new frying adventures.

<3

I'm actually confused about this. The ferrystone didn't appear in my inventory when I loaded up my original DD save.

I just started a fresh game on DA, and the ferrystone hasn't appeared there either.

So I'm not sure what the fuck is going on. I got the message saying I fucking had it and everything, but for some reason it still isn't appearing.

Fuck it's now super late, I have to sleep. I want to play a bit more and report back.

Did you check your Gran Soren Inn inventory?

Where did you hear / see this? The game just renamed my in DD achievements list to DD Dark Arisen. Nothing new was added.
Yeah, when I was playing DD last month, it was already listed as DD: Dark Arisen. I assume they are just adding additional achievements for the expansion.

DrFurbs

Okay im sold. Im going to buy DA. Hope I dont regret this type of game but it looks MH-er-ish so I probably will like it.

Nier music goes with anything.

Although, looks like I'll be using the 360's custom soundtrack option to play Dangan every time I start up the game though!

Anyone know if the frame rate is better in the ps3 version? I thought they optimized this release?

I played it for about an hour. Opening areas. Framerate feels better. I didn't have the PS3 version for the original release but I did play the demo way back when it was released, so that's what I'm making my comparison too. Last year, I went with the 360 version because the framerate was so bad on the PS3. I'm not having a problem with it this year.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was already planning on getting this, but I just played the vanilla demo to get a feel for the game.

I have to say it blew me away, it was way better than I imagined. Great combat, cool atmosphere. Some of the textures are insanely low-res though, and the pop-in when walking through the vilage is absurd - people just spawn right in front of you.

Anyway, played around for a bit, killed some goblins and picked some flowers for some lady but decided to quit and not spoil anything else.

Needless to say I'm very hyped for Dark Arisen now. I'm glad this is coming out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom