• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be the next Elden Ring

I'd never imagine seeing someone using "too Japanese" as a negative description of a video game.

It's like we've been transported in time back to the early PS3 gen when the western gaming media suddenly developed a hate boner for non-Nintendo Japanese games.

Why? You see it for the opposite all the time (“it’s too western”). Also I don’t remember any anti-Japanese game bias during the PS3 gen. Sony put out plenty that got great praise.

Why? You see it for the opposite all the time (“it’s too western”).

Nope... sorry you don't. "It's too western" is not a thing and never has been.

Also I don’t remember any anti-Japanese game bias during the PS3 gen.

Then you have a selective memory. Virtually everything Capcom, Namco and Square Enix put out was routinely shat on.

Capcom even had a mid-life crisis as a result and started giving all their major franchises to western devs to develop.

Don't forget, that generation was the genesis of grifters like Feminist Frequency who were the pioneers pushing the woke agenda of "any sexualization of women in gaming at all is harmful and bad!" And we know historically the type of playful risque stuff Japanese games would commonly contain prior to that gen.

But even beyond the anti-tits-and-ass-brigade BS, the PS3 gen was the one where suddenly turn-based JRPG combat was shit and needed to die in fire, Japanese action games were too camp and inferior to glorious western-made Gears of War, and anything that didn't have PvP multiplayer and/or co-op was the scum of the industry and not worth the $60 price tag in the minds of western gaming media.

Sony put out plenty that got great praise.

Huh?!? Most of Sony's output during that gen was made by their US and EU branches of the business. That was the gen when SCEJ shat itself and imploded (even Polyphony digital struggled).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why? You see it for the opposite all the time (“it’s too western”).
No, western game never get shit on being "too western" but Japanese games do for weird reason. In fact you are called "weeb" if you liking too many Japanese games but it okay to like western games.

Its stupid ass double standard most people have against Japanese games.

Last edited:
I loved Dragon's Dogma, but I can't see it getting anywhere close to Elden Ring's mass popularity.

But, I never imagined Elden Ring reaching that threshold either.

Katajx

Gold Member
I like the way Capcom approaches combat and after playing DD it ruined Skyrim for me. Climbing a cyclops and stabbing it in the eye or a griffon or any other creature was much better than slashing away at a dragons feet.

Sleepwalker

Didnt play the first (i bought it on steam for like $3 but never played) but I liked the anime lol

Ill be there for sure.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but I liked the anime lol
head-pat-louis.gif
\

Mods... I demand to ban this guy immediately! I mean right now!.....NOW!!!!

Aenima

Im 99% sure im going to enjoy Dragon Dogma 2 way more than i did Elden Ring, but im also 99% sure the game will not be as popular or rate as high as Elden Ring.

No, western game never get shit on being "too western" but Japanese games do for weird reason. In fact you are called "weeb" if you liking too many Japanese games but it okay to like western games.

I mostly agree with this take. The only time I feel like people were pointing out games being too western was during the 360/PS3 generation where we had way too many shooters, to the point where JP devs were starting to imitate games like Gears of War just to try and attract the American audience.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Dragons Dogma Arisen was great this looks low budget Capcom graphics but gameplays makes up for this my friends even thoughs niche popularities

Was hoping it would looks more like Deep Down but I will still prolly likes it

pepodmc_

You mean an amazing world like the completely dead wasteland full of nothing but terrible quests Miyazaki has been copypasting since 2011? Yeah I think Capcom can easily do better than that.
look how no one tried to refute your comment, because they have no arguments to do so. To be frank, games with souls gameplay are overrated, but when something goes mainstream...

YukiOnna

Lol we still experience this sadly.
I mostly agree with this take. The only time I feel like people were pointing out games being too western was during the 360/PS3 generation where we had way too many shooters, to the point where JP devs were starting to imitate games like Gears of War just to try and attract the American audience.
That at least gave us god tier Binary Domain which was better than anything they put out tbf and I guess Vanquish sort of counts, too.

pepodmc_

Nope... sorry you don't. "It's too western" is not a thing and never has been.

Then you have a selective memory. Virtually everything Capcom, Namco and Square Enix put out was routinely shat on.

Capcom even had a mid-life crisis as a result and started giving all their major franchises to western devs to develop.
Inafune fault. He infused his identity crisis to all the company. The dark era of capcom.
When capcom went from capgod to crapcom for some years.
Hes the reason why dmc 5 took 10 years to happen.

Last edited:

Juza

It looks like Dragon's Dogma 1.5 but I'm okay with that and still super excited for it.

Last edited:

Bridges

I'm personally stoked for it but there's no way this happens. DD won't reach Eldin Ring levels of mass appeal, as cool as that would be. I expect it to do pretty well with all the positive word of mouth around the original/Dark Arisen but I'm not expecting a cultural movement around it.

Also hard disagree that a 2 minute trailer for something we already knew existed (as awesome as it is) without a release date made an hour long showcase worth it.

DavidGzz

It's going to get a lot more love from Capcom than the first game and that makes me REALLY excited. It had the combat and atmosphere down, it just needed more of everything else. Also, a third party game isn't going to save the Playstation showcase no matter how good it is. People wanted more exclusives.

bbeach123

If u call that fast travel, ok
Its the best kind of fast travel actually .

Too bad you could only take advantage of it fully after the DLC (which is useless tbh) or in newgame+ .

iirc I had like 7 port crystal throwing around the world to fast travel to in Newgame+ , up to 5 in first playthrough , or 10 in newgame+ . Its the freedom to put it wherever you wanted make it great .

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
ER can go fuck itself. It plays no part here.

I don't want DD2 to be ER. I didn't want DD to be DS, and I was happy it wasn't. ER can stay over there, DD2 needs to be DD2.

Klayzer

It's so common with them, they don't realize they're doing it.

GymWolf

I'm probably gonna like this one more than elden ring if they fix all the flaws of the first one (that let's be honest only had good combat and nothing else).

Neff

Im 99% sure im going to enjoy Dragon Dogma 2 way more than i did Elden Ring, but im also 99% sure the game will not be as popular or rate as high as Elden Ring.

All of this sounds accurate.

There was fast travel, just later in the game. In Dark Arisen it's even easier and earlier.

I keep saying it whenever DD comes up but I loved how fast travel wasn't abundant in the original release. You actually had to think about your journey, plan ahead, make sure you had what you needed etc. If things went sour out in the wild, it was incredibly tense and satisfying when you made it to your destination.

Last edited:

KiteGr

The first game would have been an Epic if it wasn't so clearly unfinished and didn't have so unfocused story and confused themes.

The characters spoke Shakespearian English, yet the opening was some Japanese Rock music.
The middle of the game had you going on intentional fool's erants for the majority of the time, most likelly to fill up the playtime lost from the cut areas and content.
The pawns need to learn a few more lines.
The the unique ideas of the game neede more time in the oven and bug fixes. How many of you keep ending up with madeleine while Mercedes is near impossible.

Should they had fixed those issues this would had been a masterpiece. Instead it could barelly run in the consoles released.

It will interesting to see how this and Rise of the Ronin can shake up the open world formula. Weak combat in open worlds will no longer be acceptable.

I hope Rise of the Ronin has fantastical enemies in it screw authencity. If you want that ghost of tsushima and no doubt it's sequel are over there.

It will interesting to see how this and Rise of the Ronin can shake up the open world formula. Weak combat in open worlds will no longer be acceptable.

I hope Rise of the Ronin has fantastical enemies in it screw authencity. If you want that ghost of tsushima and no doubt it's sequel are over there.

This all day!!

I want oni, kappa and youkai. Go full Japanese mythology.

Top Bottom