• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

pa22word

If only people listened to Durante before testing a game maxed out, not getting 60fps and then saying it's poorly optimized and that they should've bought it on PS4...

I saw people with way better cards than me saying they regret getting it on PC, and yet I was ok with how the game ran here compared to consoles, even with the fucked up CPU thing.

Yep.

Hopefully we can get it back with ini edits...

Czigga

What do you mean by that bad? With that configuration the game runs well enough and if you really want stable 60 you can sacrifice some minor settings and get there easily. Not playing a good game because it has dips to 40 at max settings is beyond me.

Well he said he's running it at the same settings as a guy with a 780ti with the same performance, when he's got SLI 970s. That falls under my threshold of what's acceptable to me, so I was asking him clarify what he could achieve. I also wouldn't consider 1080 vs. 1440 a 'minor' setting change.

I appreciate your input though and am glad you are presumably satisfied with how it runs on your system.

pa22word

Yeah, post patch my performance has vastly improved, even with accounting for the change in the lod setting (before I was running 55-60%, now at 100% which is apparently the same as prepatch 55%). I'm now averaging 10-20 frames higher than I was before the patch, presumably due to the cpu optimizations.

Steam fourms are reporting that they're locking down the configuration files due to online cheating, so the CA and film grain fix are probably going to be out now, as is the hope that we can still access 100% LoD prepatch levels, too. *sigh* Wish more people would listen to durante's post rather than scream and bitch and moan about not being able to max a game, because I would have loved to come back to this game with a new CPU/GPU combo in a few years and just wreck it. Oh well. The PC gaming community would rather have false appeasement in order to boost their epeen rather than be treated like adults, I guess...

The patch completely got rid of the stutter for me. It was literally unplayable before and now its running at 60 fps. Everything on medium, anti aliasing on and 1920 1080 on 670 ftw and i5 2500k.

dsk1210

I am finding the performance much better now. Very impressed with the difference in performance. Still have to run medium textures with 3gb of VRAM though.

Better game than I actually expected, certainly helps to have a smooth experience. :)

pa22word

And I can confirm, at least for me, that trying to force prepatch levels of high LOD results in a black screen when booting the game.

Looks like that setting has been completely shut off for good now =\

EDIT: Actually I was off on changing the setting correctly by .01 ;p

After changing it to exactly "8.26, 8.26" in the video.scr I was able to get prepatch 100% back in the game. Yay! It seems that in order to not get a black screen when booting you have to have a matching number to a working bar set from the prepatch scale, otherwise it crashes. This means I really really hope people who were running it in the 60s and 70s saved their prepatch cfgs otherwise we're boned as far as adjusting it ourselves...

Also, I can confirm that the setting did in fact change, because as soon as I went back into video settings and "applied changes" without actually moving anything, my performance jumped up about 15-20 frames and my video.scr went back down to 2.60, 2.60 from 8.26, 8.26.

Patch helped things a lot. I have to use the Core Calibration technique that someone posted before and with everything at max(including view distance eventhough it only represent 55% of pre-patch) I rarely drop below 60fps.

1080p
i5-3570k at 4.1
8gb ram
gtx 780 dcu2 OC

patch didnt seem to do anything for me. Frame rate scatters from 60 to as low as 15 in some instances. Stuttering all over the place

i5-3350p @ 3.10GHz
GTX 760 4GB
8.2 GB RAM

jordyn11

Neo Member
Patch seems to have had positive impact. Load is more evenly spread across the CPU cores and frame rates are pretty much a stable 60 with a everything turned on and view distance a couple of ticks below max. Well done Techland

i5 - 3570k @ 4.33ghz
Gainward 970 Phantom @ 1467Mhz
16gb Ram

Afro

highly recommend you guys to try this quick, easy tweak just posted over on the Steam forums.

only tested for 5 mins or so, but I now seem to be holding a locked 60fps on a rooftop looking down onto a pretty busy street filled with zombies/flaming cars where I used to be getting drops to 55 or so causing stuttering. i'll test this out a bit more just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239140/discussions/0/604941528477881594/

i'm curious how it works out for you guys so please post results!

edit: 970, i7 3770, zero LOD, no aa, etc

-Deimos

highly recommend you guys to try this quick, easy tweak just posted over on the Steam forums.

only tested for 5 mins or so, but I now seem to be holding a locked 60fps on a rooftop looking down onto a pretty busy street filled with zombies/flaming cars where I used to be getting drops to 55 or so causing stuttering. i'll test this out a bit more just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239140/discussions/0/604941528477881594/

i'm curious how it works out for you guys so please post results!

edit: 970, i7 3770, zero LOD, no aa, etc

.....so basically set view distance to minimum?

I just tried disabling film grain...it did kind of improve frame rate. The game is just so jittery, I dont understand. It feels the same amount of jittery, no matter what settings I have on. If I turn literally everything down to the lowest possible setting, including turning res down to 720 its the same amount.

Afro

.....so basically set view distance to minimum?

I was getting slight drops into mid 50's even with my view distance at zero. this tweak improved my frame rate to where I'm not noticing stuttering (58-60fps). try it out.

i'm still testing though...

Corpekata

Banned
Afro do you have your GPU or CPU overclocked at all? Because with your gear you should be getting what you're describing without having to turn down those settings. I have a similar setup, but your CPU is actually better.

Afro

Afro do you have your GPU or CPU overclocked at all? Because with your gear you should be getting what you're describing without having to turn down those settings. I have a similar setup, but your CPU is actually better.

i have a single 970 ftw with factory overclock and an i7 3770 (non-k).

i think my performance is pretty good considering all the people i've heard with SLI 970's dealing with frame rates all over the place from 40-60.

however, I did just notice I am getting drops once I start actually fighting zombies. walking around in tranquility gives me a solid 60fps.

still tinkering lol PC gaming.

not to mention I am highly frame rate sensitive. it's a stutter-free, locked 60fps or nothing for me.

Afro

feel like i'm getting closer and closer to a locked 60fps on a single 970. is such a thing even possible.jpg

Afro

could my motherboard be holding me back? i transferred it from my dell xps 8500.

edit: double. :(

GUYS HERES HOW TO IMPROVE FPS (NIVIDIA ONLY):

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON "PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE" IN 3D SETTINGS

damn, i just did this. Fraps is showing my frame rate ranging from 100 to 40 lol. This game is on crack. This is all just from running around in the area right outside the doctors room

impact

Banned
damn, i just did this. Fraps is showing my frame rate ranging from 100 to 40 lol. This game is on crack. This is all just from running around in the area right outside the doctors room

Yea I'm getting 50 on the ground with some rare dips to mid 40s and then 100 on rooftops

GTX 760 4670k OC to 4.0 1080p all medium

shiyrley

Banned
Forcing vsync + Triple buffering on Nvidia control panel AND setting RivaTuner FPS cap (MSI afterburner) to 60 improves framerate. Man, what a weird game.

I'm now getting almost locked 60 FPS with a 660ti, 1080p mid settings view distance zero.

bathsalts

any impressions on 1440p performance, all the aa still ugly at this res? , thread looks a bit silly on certain claims, have 780 oc'ed to 1.3k~ and 4770k to 4.5.

Denton

Hmm, vsync kinda tanks performance. I get zero stutters or freezes, but the performance is 35-60 depending on where I look. And when I look somewhere where I get 35, and then disable Vsync, my framerate is around 50.But of course tearing is ugly and unacceptable.
And weird thing, in WatchDogs or Ryse I resolved this by borderless windowed, which this game does not have, but even if I just try windowed, the framerate is the same as with fullscreen with vsync enabled.

dookeh

2600k @ 4.2
G1 GTX 970

I'm getting a solid 60fps 95% of the time after the patch with all settings maxed (textures, draw distance, shadows etc) @ 1080p. I turned on adaptive sync to take care of the drops. Lowest i've seen is ~50fps, and always at dusk. Highest VRAM usage i've seen is 3546MB.

Dr.Acula

Banned
GUYS HERES HOW TO IMPROVE FPS (NIVIDIA ONLY):

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON "PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE" IN 3D SETTINGS

Gonna have to try this later.

Anyone who can't find the setting, right-click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel" and look for the following:

lKiYiE1.png

Denton

Hmmm...I just tried the game on my 24" monitor instead of plasma, and...disabled vsync is much less noticeable and much smaller problem than on TV. Plus the game looks somehow really good, plus the controls are much better with mouse, for the freerunning and aiming especially. So I guess this will be a first controller supporting game in a year that I will play on monitor instead of TV. The smooth framerate is awesome and those controls...yeah, monitor it is.

So I have a:

AMD FX-8350
4Gb DDR3
ATI R7 265

How screwed am I? lol

Alright, already tried it.

I run at a confortable framerate (prolly 30fps+) everything HIGH, but I have an issue with Stuttering.

Even with everything in the lowest settings I get some stutter.

Is it a low RAM issue?

Denton

Alright, already tried it.

I run at a confortable framerate (prolly 30fps+) everything HIGH, but I have an issue with Stuttering.

Even with everything in the lowest settings I get some stutter.

Is it a low RAM issue?

Seems like most definitely the case. 4GB is really low these days. But just to be sure, check out your swap file. Should be big for this game. I have mine at 10GB just to be sure.

Jabo

What a weird ass game, lowered the textures to MEDIUM and the shadows to HIGH and what do I get?? Waaaaaay worse fps LOL hitting 30 fps now.

seems unlikely a patch 2 days after people start complaining could have any actual code changes to improve multithreading. have we discovered how to match lod distances between the old and new slider to see if theres anything done beyond capping the lod to lower values?

Klyka

Banned
seems unlikely a patch 2 days after people start complaining could have any actual code changes to improve multithreading. have we discovered how to match lod distances between the old and new slider to see if theres anything done beyond capping the lod to lower values?

They did fix the multithreading though.

I no longer have core 1 and 100% and the rest at barely anything. Now pretty much all of them are at 70-80%

They did fix the multithreading though.

I no longer have core 1 and 100% and the rest at barely anything. Now pretty much all of them are at 70-80%

has performance actually gone up? higher utilization means nothing if they just added some random code to take up cpu time.

Gbraga

What a weird ass game, lowered the textures to MEDIUM and the shadows to HIGH and what do I get?? Waaaaaay worse fps LOL hitting 30 fps now.

If I recall correctly, textures settings are only related to texture cache, not quality, so it makes sense that shadows would make a much bigger difference to your framerate.

Jabo

If I recall correctly, textures settings are only related to texture cache, not quality, so it makes sense that shadows would make a much bigger difference to your framerate.

Oh no I reduced the shadows from Very High to High then the frame rate took a huge hit o____O

Afro

D you guys find you're getting less drops with triple buffering and/or max pre-rendered frames set to 1?

sniperpon

From playing so far, I can say that the latest patch fixes a bunch of things in the GNU/Linux version:

• vsync is now available in the video options, and actually works
  • hilariously giant yellow arrows have been replaced with more subtle pointers when you hit "Q"
  • characters' mouths actually move when they talk now
  • switching weapons by holding down TAB no longer 100% locks up all user input (meaning feature actually works now).
Performance doesn't seem improved though, and you still can't turn off the nauseating run blur effect. And you still can't unlock safe zones, other than those that unlock during quests. So the developers still have some work to do.

I do wonder if some power management-related kernel setting is holding me back framerate-wise; game never brings the CPU over 50% usage. I'd rather have 100% of my CPU working on the game, not 50%. I'll need to dig into that more.

Azax

Patch helped things a lot. I have to use the Core Calibration technique that someone posted before and with everything at max(including view distance eventhough it only represent 55% of pre-patch) I rarely drop below 60fps.

1080p
i5-3570k at 4.1
8gb ram
gtx 780 dcu2 OC

How is that possible for you? I have the exact same rig but I have 16 GB RAM and I still drop to 40 with 0% view distance...

jorimt

Nothing seems to change for me. :/

That's because that setting only works if the game is downclocking your GPU.

For instance, the max clock speed on my 770 4GB is 1241 MHz. If I see a game running with the clock speed of say 800 MHz (FF XIII-2 does this for me if I don't have "Prefer Maximum Performance" on) at any point, then this option will help.

Otherwise, if you're using an overlay program like Afterburner and you already see your max clock being utilized in-game, then enabling "Prefer Maximum Performance" isn't going to do anything.

jorimt

D you guys find you're getting less drops with triple buffering and/or max pre-rendered frames set to 1?

As far as I know, the triple-buffering option in the Nvidia control panel only applies to OpenGL games.

I do have Maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1 via Nvidia Inspector for the game's profile, but lowering that option is usually only useful for decreasing input lag, not increasing framerate or overall performance to my knowledge.

sniperpon

Ok, figured out my CPU scaling thing in GNU/Linux. I'm stupid; had it set to "power saver" mode! In case it helps anyone else:

To check CPU mode:
cpupower frequency-info

To set to "performance" profile:
sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance

To set back to "power saver":
sudo cpupower frequency-set -g powersave

This revelation got me another 5-10 fps.

Lowest it ever drops now is 28, generally hovers around 35 fps. This is with AA off (the AA looks really weird in this game anyway), textures, foliage, and shadows set to "medium", view distance bar set to the minimum, and at 1920x1080, full screen.

To me, game looks nearly the same as it does with everything maxed, and I get way better framerates. It's a good compromise between visual fidelity and performance.

Haswell i5-4670k, 8 gig of RAM, GTX 660 (2 gig of VRAM), Manjaro Linux

bee

man where's the proper ca fix :(( still plays fine for me at 4k/gysnc but ffs, this effect has actually stopped me playing the game now and i'm actually really enjoying it too

Top Bottom