• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Give us names, o' "caller-outter of playa hatas!"
oh, no, no, no, no! I'm not saying people are lying about having played the game, it's just that it seems like those who have played the game through are in that great "I'm so fucking happy that a game like this can and has been made" state that nay-sayers actually become funny instead of annoying.

Amir0x

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Thing is stuff like National Treasure isn't really B grade... A B is a respectable grade...

Its more like a Fail...The last Indiana movie as well...utter trash. People throw around the movie comparison like most movie's actually have a good script and intriguing plot. So much rubbish and mediocrity out there, with excellent exceptions. A game actually has a huge advantage over the equivallent movies, which is immersion. Books are immersive as well, because they require certain engagement of the imagination. Films are generally closed experiences. So while you might sympathise with a generic character in game, its very rarely the case for films.

National Treasure is definitely B grade in my eyes. Having fancy special effects don't make you better than B grade. In Movie terms, "B grade" is not necessarily an affectionate term. It's usually used to describe low calibre horror movies or shitty action romps with low production values, though it can also be used to entail larger scale movies if they're bad reproductions of clearly superior work, as National Treasure and Uncharted 2 is to Indiana Jones.

autobzooty said:
I want to believe, but I'm having a hard time. I mean, there's a noticeable jump between FMV and in-game stuff. The fact that I can tell the difference to me means that the FMVs were not recorded in-game. Although it's possible that the difference I'm seeing is just because we're getting extreme closeups on the characters when usually we're panned back a little bit.

Honestly though, it hardly matters in the face of what this game has accomplished. CG cutscenes are just a pet peeve of mine.

You know that displaying a cutscene means a lot of the game code isn't running, right?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
people who have finished the game (particularly on harder difficulties):

is there some trick to the last boss? I nearly went insane trying to beat him on Hard before spitting the dummy and turning the difficulty way down to "Very Easy" to just get the damn thing over with before it totally killed the momentum the game had been building.

BeeDog

Alright, just finished the first two chapters. I thought I was thorough when it came to find the trasures (found all of them in chapter 1), but damn, only found 5 out of 10 in the second one, and I really took my time looking for them. This'll be fun.

Game is great so far, the introduction is fucking sweet.

ram

Amir0x said:
National Treasure is definitely B grade in my eyes. Having fancy special effects don't make you better than B grade. In Movie terms, "B grade" is not necessarily an affectionate term. It's usually used to describe low calibre horror movies or shitty action romps with low production values, though it can also be used to entail larger scale movies if they're bad reproductions of clearly superior work, as National Treasure and Uncharted 2 is to Indiana Jones.

people like national treasure? or nicolas cage movies in general? i am glad, that i have taste in movies... and thus i agree with nelsonroyale. national treasure 1 and 2 and the last indy movies are crap and uncharted 2 excels both in ... EVERYTHING.

Amir0x said:
if they're bad reproductions of clearly superior work, as National Treasure and Uncharted 2 is to Indiana Jones.

Is indiana jones going to be the standard bearer of the whole pulp genre now?

Uncharted 2 is amazing on it's own merit. regardless of other weird comparisons people make with other media.

When there's an indiana jones GAME that's as well realised as uncharted... then we'll talk.

otherwise you're comparing apples to chilli beef sauce.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ram said:
people like national treasure? or nicolas cage movies in general? i am glad, that i have taste in movies... and thus i agree with nelsonroyale. national treasure 1 and 2 and the last indy movies are crap and uncharted 2 excels both in ... EVERYTHING.

If you had taste in movies you would know that 'The Rock' is fucking awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
Alright, just finished the first two chapters. I thought I was thorough when it came to find the trasures (found all of them in chapter 1), but damn, only found 5 out of 10 in the second one, and I really took my time looking for them. This'll be fun.

Game is great so far, the introduction is fucking sweet.
ignore the treasures unless they're blaringly obvious! just enjoy your first run-through, man; don't let the gamer gene kick in and kill the pacing! :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the video review on Giant Bomb and damn I want this game! The store near my house I have it pre-ordered at won't sell it to me for another 4 hours (they are open until 1am). I had the day off today and tried to get them to sell it to me earlier, but they said they couldn't sell it before 12am! It's really too bad because plenty of stores here in Japan are happy to break street dates.

What's even worse is I have work early tomorrow so even if I only play it for an hour or so I will be down to like 4 hours of sleep. *sigh*

Awntawn

Rez said:
people who have finished the game (particularly on harder difficulties):

is there some trick to the last boss? I nearly went insane trying to beat him on Hard before spitting the dummy and turning the difficulty way down to "Very Easy" to just get the damn thing over with before it totally killed the momentum the game had been building.
I agree 100%. You have such great flow and pacing, then you fucking stick a wall in the middle of the road with this god forsaken piece of shit.

I didn't want to stop playing until I reached the end. Now I don't want to ever play it again.

mr_nothin

Banned
vazel said:
Well now there's been more hasn't there?

:lol I really didn't want to come off as a hater. I'm a ps3 fanboy and hope this game sells well. I just found some of the comments in this thread funny even for a fanboy like myself. I'm sure I'll have a blast with the production values of this game. Now let's all embrace in ps3 brotherly love.
4 now!
5, if you count that reply to my post!

Rez said:
It's clear who has the game and who hasn't. Once you've played the game, it's so well made that you don't feel like defending it from trolls or anything like that. The damn thing speaks for itself.
Hey Rez,
Didnt you used to be "that guy"? :p

Shito

zoukka said:
THEN WHY GET THE FREAKING COLLECTORS EDITIONZ!!!1

Gah has nothing to do with this game, but some people have too much money. I don't. So send the extra to me.
PAL "collector" edition is 5€ more expensive. And with a way nicer packaging than the standard edition.
For us the question has more to do with "why the hell get the freaking ugly standard edition!!!1".

arne

autobzooty said:
uncharted 2 only outputs at 720p, but if you could give me the source that says the FMVs are just recordings of in-engine sequences, i'd love it. if it's true, my mind is completely blown.

our cinematics are recordings of in-engine sequences.

happy?

arne

Amir0x said:
Same exact thing was happening for me and my friend Mango. And we had zero problems in BETA. It's pretty absurd that the actual game has these multiplayer problems, but not the BETA. That's what the BETA is for, Naughty Dog!

go run your internet connection test again. try that and see if it helps. same goes for you Tiktaalik.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mr_nothin said:
Hey Rez,
Didnt you used to be "that guy"? :p
for Uncharted? Nope, I've always been madly in love with Drake's Fortune (it was my first PS3 game roughly a year and a half ago) and I was super-hyped for Among Thieves.

and for the record, I don't troll. If I'm bitching about something, I have a valid reason (in my own mind, at least). ;)

anh_duong

Banned
deepbrown said:
Edge gave it a 9/10

Talk more about Uncharted 1 than U2. And they don't seem to understand paragraph breaks this time. Bit of a disappointing write-up by their standards IMO.

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/review-uncharted-2-among-thieves?page=0,1

:D

will need to update my Edge table to include two newly released exclusives.

XXX game metacritic average score 83 edge score 90

YYY game metacritic average score 97 edge score 90

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17649155&postcount=503

I haven't noticed this is any of the reviews, do enemies take the same amount of bullet impacts as seen in Uncharted : Drake's Fortune?

It was rather frustrating to hit a foe with three or four well placed shots with the AK-47, only for them to continue on.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Norml said:
From what I remember its a old kids game. Someone yells marco with eyes shut searching for the other saying polo

Yeah, it's an game old farts like me used to play when in the swimming pool.

Do you really need to spoil tag that? I guess if you're trying to be on the safe side...

Arne, or anybody, have you guys had freezes/glitches when the game is trying to autosave? I had to restart twice cause of this.

Though it could've been because I beat the game in one sitting without letting my poor PS3 rest.

My experience with Uncharted 2 multiplayer:

-Started game up, went into multiplayer lobby
-Did a quick search
-PSN connection lost, got booted out. Error 8003A548
-Reconnected, did another quick search
-Got into a deathmatch game
-Got 2 kills, died 5 or 6 times from people with tweaks enabled
-Host left after 5 minutes, game got shut down
-Went to search again, PSN disconnected. Error 80710092
-Tried to reconnect within game, could not
-Quit game, connect to PSN again, restart game
-Enter multiplayer lobby
-Get "Error downloading config file" screen. PSN disconnects (didnt catch the error this time)
-Quit game, disable multimedia streaming on the PS3
-Reboot PS3
-Attempt to enter multiplayer again
-Get "Error initializing session manager" error
-Finished with Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
SkinnyPupp said:

-Did a quick search
-Got into a deathmatch game, played for 5 minutes.
-Host left, game got shut down
-Enter multiplayer lobby
-Get "Error downloading config file" screen. PSN disconnects (didnt catch the error this time)

Sorry to hear about that, bud. I didn't have any problems myself...well, aside from getting my ass slaughter from all the veterans there.

anh_duong

Banned
Rez said:
that's abhorrent

that's is why i spoilered it hopefully keep it low profile but does help it if you quote me.

realised my mistake so i have removed the name of the games from the post so please can you do likewise ..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so what did the Game Trailers review spoil? I'd watch myself, but my bandwidth cap is getting pretty close at the moment.

DMeisterJ

Banned
9/10 from EDGE? :eek:

Now that the big reviews are in, we can safely say that this will be the highest rated game of this year. (Metacritic)

SkinnyPupp said:

-Did a quick search
-Got into a deathmatch game
-Host left after 5 minutes, game got shut down
-Enter multiplayer lobby
-Quit game, disable multimedia streaming on the PS3
-Reboot PS3
-Attempt to enter multiplayer again
-Get "Error initializing session manager" error
I have an update! I actually wasn't finished, and got into another game while typing this up.

-game lasted less than 2 minutes before host left
-NOW I am finished with Uncharted 2 Multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's still MW2, but I think UC2 has a (very) good chance of holding the title.

chibay

Plan for Thursday 15/10/2009:

1. Wake up at 9.
2. Have Yum Cha at 11.
3. Go straight to JBHifi/Game/Ebgames and get Uncharted 2.
4. Go straight home.
5. Pack up my stuff for the overseas trip.
6. Play Uncharted 2 until 5.30 in the morning the next day.
7. Go to the airport at 6.30.

commissar

On chapter 14 (hard)
train boss - how do I avoid his triple punch of instakill? Triangle does not seem to work on that one :(
thanks!

Drame

Man, I had to go into 3 different stores before finding a copy!

I can't wait to start this, food can wait, now it's time to play!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im probably getting the game next week.
Get Hype!

neoism

Well, Here is my two cents. It's the best single-player experience I ever had bar-none. I got it 12;30pm today, from Amazon, but had to wait another 2 hours because the cable people don't know what they're doing! Chapter one is fucking ridiculous... The part before the
falling building
is the best platform level I've ever played!I think is was chapters 15-18! Locomotion is insane, but the problems started there, I got some weird bug, were I would randomly die from nothing, and the part right before
the last cart does a million flips
I get in this fucking retarded loop, I died about 15 or more times, most was from the bug, and a few was shitty deaths( which happened through out the rest of the game, not the bug, it stopped after that level! Maybe I just suck I guess, I wanted the game to fill as real as possible, and dieing a shit load of times definitely takes you out of the experience. I was so pissed at one point I wanted to quit. I wish I would have just started on easy, I'm not that hardcore, I never even played UC1 on Hard. The other mine problem I have, was NG seemed like the made the game for people that already beat it. I had to wait alot for the hints to come up, and sometimes they didn't. The puzzles weren't hard or anything, but there needed to be a button that showed you were to go, I don't think the up button on the d-pad was it. It would have probably shaved about 2 hours off the game time, but I felt like it was trail and error a lot of the times,( definitely on the
Tank boss
Mined you I played for 9 hours straight, the pacing was fucking awesome though.I loved the
Where am I!
level, most beautiful level ever in a game, the npcs holy shit, I just couldn't believe how good it looked! and it was an example of the awesome pacing, the level before was fucking ridiculous!! These games are always better on the second time because you do know what to do, but sadly know what to expect! I now this sound like someone how didn't like it,.. no. It's the best single-player I ever played, it just has some problem areas, which will not be there on the second play through, I do fell there was too much fighting in this game though, but I'll more than likely fill different the second time through because, it;s not that there was to much fighting it just seemed like it, because I would get cheap killed, I'm not sure what it is, I'm playing on normal, and have probably died about 50 times,..... that is not normal.

The paragraph above is just may thoughts about the game soo far, I had to quit not because I was pissed but because I was tried of all the awesomeness. I'm 87% soo far. I know a lot of people will just think I suck, which is true, I'm not hardcore in the slightest, I don't like do the same shit over, and over, and over!
Just to be clear I love this game, NG am Gods. I know this is a video game, but I was hoping it would flow a little better for me( difficultly wise)
Also this is the best looking game on a console.

mr_nothin

Banned
Rez said:
for Uncharted? Nope, I've always been madly in love with Drake's Fortune (it was my first PS3 game roughly a year and a half ago) and I was super-hyped for Among Thieves.

and for the record, I don't troll. If I'm bitching about something, I have a valid reason (in my own mind, at least). ;)
Nah, not for Uncharted. Just for a few other games...KZ2 comes to mind ;)

Amir0x said:
Like I said elsewhere, games have finally elevated from typical E grade movie horribleness to proper B grade with this title. Still can't hold a candle to good movies, but the groundwork is there with the facial animations, environmental detail and the focus on characters and their interactions in the framework of the gameplay for someone out there to make something rad, if they had the faculties to do it.

I doubt anyone in the game industry does though.

With that said, Nathan definitely does one liners better than Nicolas Cage!

!
Nathan is basically a fucking douche that goes around repeating "Aren't I witty?!" every minute you spend with him.

And I'm finding my second play through to be paradoxically splitting my opinion of the game even further, where I'm even more appreciative of the insane fucking visuals and art direction but at the same time starting to hate the whole cutscene, traversal, mini cutscene, fire fight, cutscene, traversal gameplay structure repeated ad nauseum. Not to mention that the whole climbing shtick makes the traversal part fucking boring and nothing more than an arbitrary waste of time since you're basically on a giant conveyor belt that slows down frequently on it's journey from point A to point B.

randomwab

How come UK is getting it on Friday? I mean most big releases usually get put out on Tuesday with the American release these days. Hell, even the rest of Europe is getting it earlier than the UK.

I'm just so bitter at having to wait ;_;

Geoff9920

Man, when this game grabs you it doesn't let go! Figured I'd play the first couple chapters yesterday, but didn't end up stopping until I got to the beginning of chapter 10. :O Absolutely love the pacing so far; the difficulty on hard seems just right. (At least so far) Must. Play. Moar.

Prine

Banned
For those that were down on the shooting in Uncharted 1. How does it feel in Uncharted 2??

Im buying this on friday and have played the multi, which was fun. Though, the feedback just wasnt there, so i didnt know if i was hurting guys i was shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom