• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Dahbomb

You can tell these are hardcore Sony Japanese fanboys since they are playing PSPs while they wait in line. :lol

ps3wait_screen014.jpg

its funny they locked em down in the garage :lol

Its a good crowd control measure though! When they find out only 100 people will be walking away with a unit at least they won't have anything to break! Clever Japanese

TwIsTeD said:

is it just me or is that guy having a hard time holding that thing :lol

It looks like the platform they're standing on is collapsing on one side under the weight of the ps3 and they're all sliding off it.

CosmicGroinPull said:
It looks like the platform they're standing on is collapsing on one side under the weight of the ps3 and they're all sliding off it.
lol i didnt notice but it does looks like they are all tiltied

Bus fare to the local A-Too in Shizuoka: 270 yen
Bus fare back: 230 yen
20GB PlayStation 3: 49,980 yen ($429.78)

Getting a PS3 on launch day without waiting in line at all: Priceless

Cheesemeister said:
Bus fare to the local A-Too in Shizuoka: 270 yen
Bus fare back: 230 yen
20GB PlayStation 3: 49,980 yen ($429.78)

Getting a PS3 on launch day without waiting in line at all: Priceless
wow you can ride the bus with a ps3. If I took the denver lightrail back from downtown on LLaunch day with a ps3, I might disappear forever

Drakken

CosmicGroinPull said:

:lol That made me crack up more than it should have.

BobTheFork said:
wow you can ride the bus with a ps3. If I took the denver lightrail back from downtown on LLaunch day with a ps3, I might disappear forever

Yeah, no violence or hassle at all. I was sure there was going to be blood on the streets, but I rode on the bus with it and walked from the bus stop back here in broad daylight without a problem. It's raining out, of course, but I just had to wipe the box off.

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, no violence or hassle at all. I was sure there was going to be blood on the streets, but I rode on the bus with it and walked from the bus stop back here in broad daylight without a problem. It's raining out, of course, but I just had to wipe the box off.
nice. I heard in the Japan line up thread that someone had storeis of riots barracades and police. O-o still waiting for an update on that.

Mmmkay

IGN updated their PS3 music player connectivity article:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745359p1.html

Turns out that you don't have to stick to the rigid directory structures, and the PS3 can play with iPods and various other media players (except the iRiver still)... sorta
In our first look at the PlayStation 3's media playback features, we initially the system to be limited by its directory structure design -- unless media was stored in the proper folder, it would not be read by the PS3. But surprise! With a tap of the Triangle button, the PS3 becomes a fully-formed directory searcher, and can indeed find and play music, photos, videos or playlists from anywhere on most any media device.

The PS3 itself is designed to browse only the folders it is designed to browse -- the root-level VIDEO, MUSIC, and PHOTO folders (as well as the standard MP_ROOT and DCIM folders shared across many media devices.) It will load media directly from the system and load them onto the PS3 menu in the proper media setting, so if you choose Photo on the PS3 menu, it will show the images in your PSP or Memory Stick or Compact Flash or SD card or USB keychain folder. More importantly, it will not show media not in those proper folders -- unlike on a PC, it does not have a "media search" function to find multimedia elsewhere on your external device.

But never fear, because there is also a "Display All" feature when selecting your Memory Stick or other USB-connected device that allows you to browse the entire directory structure, and thus load whatever's on the drive that the system recognizes. This indeed works for any media type. We were able to run music from an iPod and pull video from a random spot on our USB mini-drive. It's a hidden option that some may not notice at first, and sorting through folders isn't exactly easy (an iPod is full of all kinds of dummy files that are not music, for instance, and the folders are not named after the albums or songs stored in them -- if you can sort your media for proper playback on PS3, you're going to want to), but at least the option is there. Thank the Lloyd!

ourumov

yodo2ms1.jpg

Top of the Line at the Yodobashi store in Osaka... Took the photo yesterday while still dreaming I could get in line for one.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You wouldn't even know the PS3 came out where I am. Even the store I got it had little indication that they even had software in stock. I saw two of my students there, who asked me if I was buying a PS3, told me (in Japanese) "you must be rich!!!!", and then from that point on, every other person in the store (people buying DS games and creepy dudes selling Hentai games) started gawking at me making my purchase. :lol

They did have some sort of contest set up at Yamada Denki to win one, and there's the demo unit, but other than that, that's it. Yamada appeared to be completely sold out of all their software, but the other stores I went to this morning had most games still in stock. I am still contemplating going back out and picking up Gundam.

Here's what I got:

ps3launchnv1.jpg

20gb PS3, RR7, Resistance, Genji, and Sega Golf Club

The game and Blue-ray disc boxes are a bit smaller than DVD cases. I don't know if I'm going to bother buying any movies for the time being, when they all cost around 5,000 yen each, and I'm not seeing anything I really care about.

TwIsTeD said:
is it just me or is that guy having a hard time holding that thing :lol

It's probably the heaviest console ever made, at least from holding the box, anyway. The clerk had a difficult time bagging it and giving me my system this morning. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Lyte Edge said:
It's probably the heaviest console ever made, at least from holding the box, anyway. The clerk had a difficult time bagging it and giving me my system this morning. :lol

Wow that's awful :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so yeah, this system is definitely Xbox 1 heavy and big/bulky. Maybe even bulkier-looking. :lol No power brick though, which is nice. Depsite being nice and glossy, I think the system design is kind of ugly. Xbox 360 looks nicer. None of this matters to me though.

In the 20gb box, you get one controller, USB cable (for the controller; same type as the PSP USB cable), A/V cable (same as PS1 and PS2, so no need to buy new ones!), and an ethernet cable.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get sound if I hook the system up to my PC monitor. I got an HDMI to DVI cable, but I see no way to get sound!

DarkJediKnight said:
Lyte Edge, how does Taladega Nights look on the PS3?

Japan doesn't get Taladega Nights.

Top Bottom