• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

Neiteio

Would be cool if they were just a addition to Calie and Marie, there's no reason for them to be replaced. You can have two news casters annoucing stuff and have two DJ girls mixing it up and announce other things.
Callie and Marie are part of story mode now. They need the same newscasters for everyone, but not everyone will have beat story mode, so Callie/Marie are stuck there.

Y47yTO8.gif
Pearl Jam

Grakl

Pearl is way better because Marina's facial expressions are awful. If they were different she would be great.

iKhameleon

Neo Member
Pearl will grow on people. Plus her underdog status will spark a rabid fanbase who will go hard for her at Splatfests and on the internet. Fun times are ahead for everyone I tell ya, regardless of allegiance.

Tom Nook

I see, he didn't have to go that far but..

Agreed, I'm keeping my eyes open for more but meanwhile enjoy this gif. Pearl will take the world by storm, I'm sure of it.

Y47yTO8.gif

LOL. I like how they burred the background so the attention goes to Pearl.

Chauzu

I prefer the confidence that Pearl oozes of, but it's hard to say anything but Marina being perfection design and animation wise.

Crocodile

Is there something wrong with the images? If you have a problem with any of them let me know and I'll delete them from the post.

Nothing wrong with what you posted. I think that poster was saying "don't be pro-Pearl just to be anti-Marina". That's not really how I interpreted your post but I think that is how they interpreted your post. Basically love what you love because you actually love it not to act as some sort of counterbalance to another "hype train".

phanphare

Banned
Where did I say that posting Pearl pics was anti-Marina? I didn't. Where did I say that it's wrong to prefer Pearl? I didn't. Try reading again. If the intent is "to derail the Marina hype train" (not my words, by the way), then, understandably, a lot of people would read that as an anti-Marina sentiment - I don't feel that this is an unreasonable deduction. It's possible to like Pearl without having to "derail the other". It's possible to like Pearl and let others be. At the same time, it's also important to understand WHY Marina matters.

of course it's anti-Marina sentiment. that's how this works with the Splatoon idols. you pick your fav and then shit on the other one. you don't need to read into it further. Splatfests encourage this behavior. see Splatoon 1 and the Callie vs. Marie stuff.

I get where you're coming from but you're taking something that's just silly fun a bit too seriously and in the process you're insinuating things about other posters that aren't accurate

In universe, are the Squidlings/octolings assumed to cut and style their hair/tentacles? Do real life cephalopods regrow their tentacles?

Village

LOL. I like how they burred the background so the attention goes to Pearl.

"Sir, We made this character design too strong. It threats to swallow the game hole"

" Uh, shit , blur the background and focus on the other one. We need them to be a duo to work"

"Its not working its too strong, I've already purchased several non existant amiibo's for this character"

" OH god what do we do what do we do!?"

"Sir, We made this character design too strong. It threats to swallow the game hole"

" Uh, shit , blue the background and focus on the other one. We need them to be a duo to work"

"Its not working its too strong, I've already purchased several non existant amiibo's for this character"

" OH god what do we do what do we do!?"

Or it's... How music videos normally are produced?

Kudo

Where did I say that posting Pearl pics was anti-Marina? I didn't. Where did I say that it's wrong to prefer Pearl? I didn't. Try reading again. If the intent is "to derail the Marina hype train" (not my words, by the way), then, understandably, a lot of people would read that as an anti-Marina sentiment - I don't feel that this is an unreasonable deduction. It's possible to like Pearl without having to "derail the other". It's possible to like Pearl and let others be. At the same time, it's also important to understand WHY Marina matters.

Derail is your own words, all I said is "to counter". As in to balance all of the Marina fan art, I mixed in some Pearl. I don't want people to stop posting about Marina or art of her.

Nothing wrong with what you posted. I think that poster was saying "don't be pro-Pearl just to be anti-Marina". That's not really how I interpreted your post but I think that is how they interpreted your post. Basically love what you love because you actually love it not to act as some sort of counterbalance to another "hype train".

Oh, well that's wrong. I like both of 'em and I hope both do strong.
But I'll be Team Pearl, she's dropping better beats after all.

Both look good but their eyes are bit weird since one looks constantly angry while the other seems sad all the time. They should have had a more neutral face expression. Their dynamic reminds me of CocoRosie for some reason.
Also is Annie gone?

Zeeman

Both look good but their eyes are bit weird since one looks constantly angry while the other seems sad all the time. They should have had a more neutral face expression. Their dynamic reminds me of CocoRosie for some reason.
Also is Annie gone?

Looks like Sheldon is the only shopkeeper who's stuck around

WonderzL

Banned
Marina looks to be the shy stereotype, so that's why she looks to be "sad" all the time. She probably has some self-esteem issues, etc (that's pulling from some general anime tropes). We will get used to it pretty fast, I assume. The in-game texts will sustain their designs.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I like them both, though I can't help but root for Pearl as the underdog. Both are cute.
Same, I feel like people are going to really like her once they see her personality and the dialogue, toy can tell they are suppose to work as a pair

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Based on the Japanese upload (which has slightly better image quality):

• Pearl is called ヒメ (Hime, "Princess")
  • Marina is called イイダ (Iida, "Yida"?)
  • Marina calls Pearl "senpai", indicating that the older-looking Marina is newer in the Idol space
  • Based on their interactions, Pearl's careless (I previously wrote "bossy" but I'm not sure it's exact) while Marina is acting shy and polite but applied.
This sounds like what I want

Mmmm, ok, I may buy a Switch for this game! Got a strong Jet Set Radio feeling from the design and music! Also, Marina fanart incoming, can't help it.

Mmmm, ok, I may buy a Switch for this game! Got a strong Jet Set Radio feeling from the design and music! Also, Marina fanart incoming, can't help it.

I will say I wasn't hyped for this game at all, but I got it super cheap yesterday on Amazon, and the amount of content and things going into this and the way Nintendo is handling, got me on board. Now I'm in the 2 weeks is too long camp :)

Maxinas

It always happens. The first name of the duo is always the popularity underdog.

That means Pearl is going to win every splatfest.

From the looks of things, Pearl will be the underdog.
Which means she will end up winning the inevitable Pearl vs. Marina splatfest just like Marie did :^)

Top Bottom