• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working at Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

alphaNoid said:
There is a Google campus right down the street from me, I drive past and see associates playing basketball on their lunch. FML
KuGsj.gif

You live in the OC, right? Is it the Google building on Jamboree near the 73?

I see those bastards too!

Contractors at Apple can go to Cafe Macs which is the on campus cafeteria but Apple does not give out free food, so it doesn't matter. They are not given employee discounts. Also, contractors aren't allowed to go to any of the beer bashes or other special events, such as the iWalk event or special iTunes Beer Bash events where bands would play (Colbie Caillet, Maroon 5), or SJ's memorial service.

This isn't exclusive to Google.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Divvy said:
Man I think I went into the wrong industry.

That on the other hand is pretty lame. Almost hateful of them to do.
I'm sure they don't want to segregate them, but they do it to reduce co-employment risk. Frustrating HR stuff, basically.

Viewt

My company's pretty cool, too.

- A pretty lax attitude towards time off (the idea is that, as long as your work isn't falling behind, it's not hurting anybody).
- Ping pong table
- Kegerator and being able to drink during the workday (no one's an alcoholic, and we're trusted to not overdo it)
- We're located on the beach. This is the view from the window in my office:

1z1y1ed.jpg

It's as happy as I've ever been with my job. It may not line up with Google, but I can't complain.

jvalioli

I lol'd at the first reply.

Cipherr said:
Why was he jabbing at Amazon all through the article? Am I missing some context? It was annoying.

It was probably in response to someone who made a post about working at both companies.
edit: I guess its the same guy, see below.

FreezeSSC said:
Get a masters in cs.

You don't really need a masters. They hire a lot more people with BSCs than masters I'm sure.

Cipherr said:
Why was he jabbing at Amazon all through the article? Am I missing some context? It was annoying.

You obviously haven't read his famous/infamous/brilliant rant about Google and Amazon. It made major news. Yes he ranted about his own company, accidentally made it public on his Google+ account, and is still an employee. Awesome, I want to work for Google one day. His rant about Amazon was absolutely hilarious, too. Great writer.

Check it here

https://plus.google.com/112678702228711889851/posts/eVeouesvaVX

As i kept on reading i couldnt believe that such a place actually exists, but as life has taught me, not everything is as it seems.

My guess is that there is a lot of negatives as well, his comment regarding "working for your self" sounds like there is no praise or incentive for your every day work. Also it sounds like long hours are expected and there is probably an insane amount of stress due to the competitiveness in the air.

Hell he mentions that he doesnt consider himself a smart person as if he feels lesser than other people there, classicism as others have pointed out in this thread.

And as nice as this sounds, im sure after a couple of years it all seems "normal" and not that special anymore, we humans are amazing at getting used to anything.

R2D4

Banned
Just sounds like Google is one of those companies that never wants you to leave. What could possibly be at home that we don't have here for you? Live here and work. There is nothing in the outside world that could do more for you. Sounds like something a mafia boss would do.

Enco

Stupid clever people with their stupid benefits and their stupid awesome employer.

I'm not even jealous.

Just by reading the food bit I said GodDamn.

Hell, I'm sure you could save a ton of cash just by bringing food home instead of buying your meals.

I need to read up on DreamWorks again. They're apparently the 5th best place to work in America (Google was Number 1) and I have wanted to be a DreamWorks animator since college.

Rad-

Sounds awesome except for the low paid holiday amount. I get 40. My work environment is pretty dull otherwise though.

irriadin

The Albatross said:
Sounds sweet. I work in academia. Academia is pretty awesome.
I agree very much, as I also work in academia. The pace and overall stress level in working in academia is probably 1/10th of a typical business. Nice perks too, like getting an entire week paid vacation for Christmas.

When I left my previous job, a "factory-worker-esque" Web Design / Development start-up, I had severe culture shock for about a month.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
irriadin said:
I agree very much, as I also work in academia. The pace and overall stress level in working in academia is probably 1/10th of a typical business.
Yep a good deal of the Google culture is expressly modeled after that.

Gila said:

:(

Just came back from a bathroom break, 1 week without soap in the washroom here in the office, i guess im gonna have to bring my own from home... nope, not jelly at all

Screw perks and bonuses. When I go anywhere, I care primarily about two things:

1. health benefits
2. RSU's/Stock Options

Free meals don't cost the company anything when you consider the number of hours engineers typically work (Most engineers are salary so they don't get paid overtime). For my project, I got free lunch and dinner for 3 months..but i also worked 12-14 hours a day and weekends. But the perks do help overall company morale, especially if they're done the Google way. Being in a work environment that appears "fun" is a major motivating factor.

jvalioli

R2D4 said:
Just sounds like Google is one of those companies that never wants you to leave. What could possibly be at home that we don't have here for you? Live here and work. There is nothing in the outside world that could do more for you. Sounds like something a mafia boss would do.

It works
but only on the interns really

SouthernDragon said:
I'm currently applying to them and I will be flying up in a month to meet them.

God, I'm scared as fuck. I hope I don't botch it.

How did you manage to do that? You first need to have a screening and 1st technical interview before they even consider flying you to Mountain View. What position are you applying for?

Feep

Banned
Yeah, but how many hours a week do they work? I don't think there are any benefits on the planet that could make me work eighty hour workweeks.

My buddy practically lives at the Mountain View campus. He's hardly ever home. And he doesn't mind. But he says he busts his ass off, which he thinks is the reason for all of those on-campus perks. Provide you with everything you need, so you can stay at work, and keep working.

zephervack said:
Hell he mentions that he doesnt consider himself a smart person as if he feels lesser than other people there, classicism as others have pointed out in this thread.

And as nice as this sounds, im sure after a couple of years it all seems "normal" and not that special anymore, we humans are amazing at getting used to anything.
Being around other smart people is a huge thing for many people. There's much more possibility for personal growth.

It's one thing to have smart people, but an environment that encourages them to also be passionate about something (or apparently anything in the case of Google) is brilliant.

I noticed that Google is hiring locally, but I didn't apply, hahaha. I hate interviewing so much.

The Boat

Reading these things about google always makes me sad that, contrary to what I believed all my life, software engineering wasn't for me. Kinda.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
One of my ex-co-workers got a job at Google recently. We were all jealous.

That said, some of the stuff in the OP does seem excessive. I'd say Valve probably has done a great practical job at creating an environment for geniuses without having to make an entire room use nautical equipment as furniture.

GodofWine

I work in 'strategic sourcing' and went to a conference where the google 'sourcing' people gave a presentation on 'e-auctions'...every day, they run a reverse auction where the local fish mongers bid on supplying googles 'catch of the day', something like 20,000lbs of fresh fish per day (or some stupid number).

Mordeccai said:
Real talk, how does one get hired into Google? What should I change my major to, right now, to get my ass in there.

Missed this one. You need to be a kickass programmer and a god among men with algorithms. It doesn't even matter if you have a degree or not in CS, or even if you have a college degree. But they do want the absolute cream of the crop among developers. Their interview process is designed so that only the best people get hired.

And is not as bad as it sounds that people at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook etc. work long hours. These are the kind of people that are working in cutting-edge technology that is used by hundreds of millions. That is enough reward on itself to keep you at work late. Not to mention you are very handsomely compensated for your work. Lastly don't forget that as a side-effect of these companies is getting people with great ideas together. Gabe Newell used to work for MS, and look at what he did after that. Lots of other companies are spun-off by the former employees in these high-tech titans.

Feep said:
Yeah, but how many hours a week do they work? I don't think there are any benefits on the planet that could make me work eighty hour workweeks.

i highly doubt google employees work anything close to 80 on a regular basis. big tech company hours usually come out to 40-50 during non-crunch (and unlike the VG industry, in normal companies crunch time is actually only used during a crunch).

bob page

Damn, and I thought I had it good.

My office in NYC has free coffee, lattes, tea, milk, etc, but we have to pay for our food and snacks. Our cafeteria floor has around 8 stations all with real chefs cooking up gourmet food (sushi chef, grill chef, etc) and world food stations (a different country featured every day). We have a separate barista hired from ILY coffee making up some specialty drinks if you're too good for the free stuff.

Other than that, I get to go on free team lunches every month or so (anywhere in the city, but limited to $35/person), a TON of free happy hours, and working from home is extremely relaxed. Unlimited sick days, etc.

But yeah, I often feel like I don't deserve it. Looking at Google, though, it's like they're living as Gods.

Lasthope106 said:
Missed this one. You need to be a kickass programmer and a god among men with algorithms. It doesn't even matter if you have a degree or not in CS, or even if you have a college degree. But they do want the absolute cream of the crop among developers. Their interview process is designed so that only the best people get hired.

And is not as bad as it sounds that people at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook etc. work long hours. These are the kind of people that are working in cutting-edge technology that is used by hundreds of millions. That is enough reward on itself to keep you at work late. Not to mention you are very handsomely compensated for your work. Lastly don't forget that as a side-effect of these companies is getting people with great ideas together. Gabe Newell used to work for MS, and look at what he did after that. Lots of other companies are spun-off by the former employees in these high-tech titans.

This is false. Google is notorious for over-emphasizing academics. They ask people who've been in the industry for years for their college GPAs.

BananaBomb said:
This is false. Google is notorious for over-emphasizing academics. They ask people who've been in the industry for years for their college GPAs.

I didn't get that impression when I talked to them last year at my college career fair. Microsoft didn't even ask me for a transcript at any point during the interview process.

Mother of god, i just read his other article ranting about Google practices for Web.

If this guy doesnt consider himself a genius compared to other people at Google then ... WOW.

This guy is pretty much telling the entire company of Google what needs to get done to stay relevant, Im actually pretty intimidated by his knowledge.

Reading about Google workplace perks never fails to make me green with envy. We have a hard enough time here requesting office supplies, but there? Sheeit, ask for a guitar, get a full-on sound studio.

I'm mad jelly, yo.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
One thing I really like about Google's offices is that you as an employee can just take your access badge, and walk into any office anywhere in the world and use it's facilities/meeting rooms/whatever as if they're your own without prior notice.

Also nice were the zany "pass the ball around the room" think-tank meeting sessions.

jvalioli

Tunesmith said:
One thing I really like about Google's offices is that you as an employee can just take your access badge, and walk into any office anywhere in the world and use it's facilities/meeting rooms/whatever as if they're your own without prior notice.

Also nice were the zany "pass the ball around the room" think-tank meeting sessions.
Unfortunately doesn't work for all of the buildings since Google rents in some areas.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the new building that was finished about a year or so ago in Kirkland, WA? If it is, I used to drive by it every Wednesday when I'd make a run to my comic shop. Saw it being built from the ground up, literally. They dug out a HUGE chunk of land for what I now assume is the underground parking garage. I had no idea what it was until the day it was done and the simple but effective "GOOGLE" sign was put up. It's a nice building and looks so modern and cool.

Kola

AstroLad said:
Entertaining post by the prolific Steve Yegge.

Google has twelve paid holidays a year in the US. In contrast, Amazon had five, at least when I was there. At Google we get two days at Christmas, two at New Year's, two at Thanksgiving, and then six others. Pretty nice.

https://plus.google.com/u/1/110981030061712822816/posts/UgCL6YRwgbR

And I still consider my 32 days of paid vacation to be nothing short of modern slavery.

Is there any chance that you people in the US will ever enjoy more than 12 days of holidays in the future? Does the general public even care? I mean, it's not even possible for you guys to visit other places for more than 2 weeks in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom