• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google diabling cookies for 30 million folks?

GeekyDad

The reason I left a question mark on the OT was because I'm wondering if some of you speculate that perhaps this new avenue will simply lead to something worse. I just can't see Google giving up that power unless there's something better they can turn to. 'Cause compromise does NOT seem like their staple.

As an aside, wtf...30 million is only 1% of their users of Chrome? Correct my math if I'm wrong, but that's 3 billion users in total, essentially a third of the world's population. Dafuq?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Google said back in 2021 that they plan to move away from cookies and to instead market towards "cohorts" based on surfing trends, rather than individuals.

But I'm pretty sure they don't need them anymore because they have another method like AI algorithms that can detect who you are regardless of the device you're logged onto or whether you're using a VPN. If I were the devil (whoops, I mean "Google"), I would want to document and identify individuals, and I'd be training AI to do it BASED on the data I already have from decades of cookie usage as a training set.

An algorithm could theoretically scan online activity for word/punctuation choices, writing style, surfing behavior, devices, IPs, typing/texting speed, and probably other things I haven't considered, and then you no longer need cookies to track someone across the web.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
How much you wanna bet congress will FINALLY get around to limiting data collection but will focus on cookies which will already be an obsolete method. So congress gets to pat themselves on the back, the tech companies keep on rolling, and the public is abandoned yet again.

The AI thing is terrifying. I bet everyone has a "typing fingerprint" that is pretty unique, based on input speed between letters, repetitive mistakes, and frequent word usage. Stuff an AI can easily data mine and make a profile to look for.

Mr1999

Something like this popped up yesterday saying something along the lines of you are one of the first to have cookies disabled.

Kilau

Google said back in 2021 that they plan to move away from cookies and to instead market towards "cohorts" based on surfing trends, rather than individuals.

But I'm pretty sure they don't need them anymore because they have another method like AI algorithms that can detect who you are regardless of the device you're logged onto or whether you're using a VPN. If I were the devil (whoops, I mean "Google"), I would want to document and identify individuals, and I'd be training AI to do it BASED on the data I already have from decades of cookie usage as a training set.

An algorithm could theoretically scan online activity for word/punctuation choices, writing style, surfing behavior, devices, IPs, typing/texting speed, and probably other things I haven't considered, and then you no longer need cookies to track someone across the web.
Exactly, they got everything they needed with cookies and have better ways now so they are shutting the door behind them in typical monopolistic fashion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like how they offer this up as a privacy benefit for Chrome users when what it is really doing is making it so that it's harder for anyone but Google to track you and sell information about you. This for sure is going to lead to anti-trust complaints.

Mistake

Device fingerprinting along with ip addresses already gobbles up a large part of their userbase. With other methods I'm sure they use, cookies are no biggie. But ReBurn ReBurn is right, their investors are just going to ask "why are you not?"

Geomancer86

Neo Member
Stop using GMail, Google, Google Sheets, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Photos, Android, haha they own the world, if they flip crazy and say "no more google for you" the world would collapse fast and quick...

People nowadays cannot drive from A to B without Google Maps... everything we google first...

-Minsc-

The AI thing is terrifying. I bet everyone has a "typing fingerprint" that is pretty unique, based on input speed between letters, repetitive mistakes, and frequent word usage. Stuff an AI can easily data mine and make a profile to look for.
So it's not just what I post for the public to see but also what I type into a dialogue box (or whatever it's called) before I even hit the post button?

jason10mm

Gold Member
So it's not just what I post for the public to see but also what I type into a dialogue box (or whatever it's called) before I even hit the post button?
I've little doubt they can record that info if/when they want.

But they can also look at your word usage, common typos, common phrases, all that and with enough text make a good guess. Hell, I bet the autocorrect data is logged so even that won't cover for you if you have a habit of mistyping stuff.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Stop using chrome folks. Find an alternative.
Microsoft_Edge_logo_%282019%29.png

Puscifer

Christ that last paragraph was depressing

Hudo

Just try to avoid any form of Google technology, if feasible.

Firefox is a competent browser and the only real competition, since all other popular browsers (sans Safari) are using Chromium as a base, which is heavily steered by Google.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've been using Brave browser with uBlock for my personal PC and mobile. It gets the job done and has a sleek, minimal interface. Supposed to be good for privacy.

If I go on the internet with my work laptop and Chrome, the experience and ads make me feel like I'm living in a dystopia.

winjer

Gold Member
You guys realize that browsers like Brave and Edge are Chromium based.
Meaning they share the same source code as Chrome.
If Google implements things like manifest V3, or this no-cookie way of spyware, all these browsers will have to follow suit. Or will have to code around it.

You'll have better luck with Firefox or Webkit based browsers.

Laptop1991

You guys realize that browsers like Brave and Edge are Chromium based.
Meaning they share the same source code as Chrome.
If Google implements things like manifest V3, or this no-cookie way of spyware, all these browsers will have to follow suit. Or will have to code around it.

You'll have better luck with Firefox or Webkit based browsers.
Brave may share the same source code, but it sure as hell doesn't operate like Chrome, i switched last summer and the difference was night and day and if Brave does start doing the ad nightmare of Chrome i'll switch again.

winjer

Gold Member
Brave may share the same source code, but it sure as hell doesn't operate like Chrome, i switched last summer and the difference was night and day and if Brave does start doing the ad nightmare of Chrome i'll switch again.

Yes, Brave disables most of Googles bloatware and spyware.
But the more they add, the more difficult it gets to remove it.
And if Manifest V3 really becomes the standard for the internet, we are screwed.

Laptop1991

Yes, Brave disables most of Googles bloatware and spyware.
But the more they add, the more difficult it gets to remove it.
And if Manifest V3 really becomes the standard for the internet, we are screwed.
Yeah it will change and won't stay the same i know, it always has, but at the moment Brave does what i want, and Steam using chromium has made the client worse as well, and if we are screwed, well we can always go back to the pigeon lol.

GeekyDad

This is exactly what I was thinking. I hadn't been keeping up with the whole AI thing outside of using some of the tech for art, but I figured if it was becoming ready for public use, companies like Google have already enacted uses for it in more powerful ways.

And as already mentioned, perhaps the scarier part is that the majority of the public will see Google in a good light for removing the cookies, rather than asking why they are doing it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I always hate how they introduce these kinds of changes in waves to avoid pissing off the entire userbase and also probably to keep the controversies under the radar.

My advice - get out of Chrome and Chromium browsers. Firefox is still the best alternative if you don't want to go with a more advanced, personalized browser.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I always hate how they introduce these kinds of changes in waves to avoid pissing off the entire userbase and also probably to keep the controversies under the radar.

My advice - get out of Chrome and Chromium browsers. Firefox is still the best alternative if you don't want to go with a more advanced, personalized browser.

Absolutely, Firefox is amazing and the best alternative. Set the right security settings, get some great add-ons and everyone should be satisfied.

Last edited:
How much you wanna bet congress will FINALLY get around to limiting data collection but will focus on cookies which will already be an obsolete method. So congress gets to pat themselves on the back, the tech companies keep on rolling, and the public is abandoned yet again.

Just use a randomizing plugin that changes input somewhat based on url/class etc.

Top Bottom