• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putty

It would be so very Microsoft if their intention all along was simply to kill off Platinum games so that they wouldn't be able to make games for their competitors anymore.

Yep, i agree....i agree that you are bat shit insane...

Guess Who

Banned
E4ERTuT.png

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819094011918970881

Oersted

I think it will for a lot of people. If a guy walks into a store and asks "which one does the best NBA 2K/Battlefield/Red Dead?" the guy behind the counter will be pointing at Scorpio. That will be more than MS has had so far this gen. I'm not saying it's going to get them passing Sony, or even catching up at any meaningful pace. But it could definitely right the ship and change their narrative, which has been in the gutter pretty much all generation.

The only things that can muck it up for them is if they need to price it sky high, or if Sony makes a spoiler announcement of newer, more promising hardware on the horizon this summer.

People play, especially 3 years in, where their friends are.

Only exception are games you can play nowhere else(Uncharted, Pokemon etc).

Microsoft lacks those titles extremely.

Eolz

Great to see those comments, hope they don't take it too hard.
And now we can stop with those bullshit "mental health" comments that came out of nowhere as well.

It's nice to see Kamiya posting again.
I have edited the title and the OP. Glad Kamiya is okay. They're going to bounce back stronger than ever I think.
Maybe you'll be the first person Kamiya blocks upon returning to twitter since you asked him about making a specific type of game. ;)

crinale

Just read someone reporting in about Platinum's end of the year party (quite common thing among Japanese corporations) that Mr. Kamiya didn't look sick at all, so they're quite shocked reading speculations of him being not okay.
Anyway I'm grad he is well :D

sonicmj1

Hope those 100 or so developers get a new project soon.

If Microsoft really was playing hardball with money and milestones (and if Platinum really did give their leads a vacation), then I doubt they were caught off-guard by the announcement. They're currently working on at least three projects, so I'm sure the company will be fine.

"I'll work extra hard to never have to let you down like this again"

Interesting wording.

Am still bummed by this news. The game hadn't grabbed me in previews, but I adore Bayonetta so it would have been a day one for me regardless.

Times like this I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see what really happened (felt the same after MCC).

It would be so very Microsoft if their intention all along was simply to kill off Platinum games so that they wouldn't be able to make games for their competitors anymore.

Of course. This is a very logical conclusion to arrive at...

Kamiya's tweet is awesome. I'm sure it's not easy swimming against the tide in an industry tha seems to be headed towards games that are more like work to play than fun.

Glad to hear from JP too. I saw a lot of nasty comments on twitter aimed at him and it made me pretty sad to see. Hope you get to be the Creative Producer for Kamiya's next game!

On one hand I get that Kamiya was trying to say he's always going to put the fans and his hobby first by not taking time off for his mental health.

On the other hand I don't like that he made it seem like someone can be too good to seek help.

Chobel

Interesting wording.

Am still bummed by this news. The game hadn't grabbed me in previews, but I adore Bayonetta so it would have been a day one for me regardless.

Times like this I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see what really happened (felt the same after MCC).

Yep, sounds like he's saying that it was Platinum fault.

duckroll

On one hand I get that Kamiya was trying to say he's always going to put the fans and his hobby first by not taking time off for his mental health.

On the other hand I don't like that he made it seem like someone can be too good to seek help.

Or he could just be trying to say that the rumors are not reflective of the situation. I mean, I get what you're saying, but he's also an abrasive Japanese guy tweeting in English.

I have edited the title and the OP. Glad Kamiya is okay. They're going to bounce back stronger than ever I think.

Every contractor makes a risk assessment, and your business partner publicy admitting mental health issues won't exaclty increase chances of making a deal.

Kamiya wants to stay in business, make new contracts for his team and so on, and that's why he cannot let his mental conditions be taken into question right now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

He's saying that a project that fell through is always their fault, and that people who were anticipating the game are let down by default because he was the director. It doesn't mean they literally were the ones at fault for not being up to development or that they themselves were incompetent.

i think kamiya is only speaking for himself. There's also something to admire from never backing down and keeping on trucking.

Eolz

Interesting wording.

There's no specific wording, he's saying that in a polite and professional way for all of his (and his company's) fans, and would have probably done the same whichever the situation was.

That depends how you read it. There's the usual bragging from Kamiya, but those rumors were also pretty shitty. There was no credible source on this yet people ran with it, more damaging than trying to look too good for that.

Eolz

Every contractor makes a risk assessment, and your business partner publicy admitting mental health issues won't exaclty increase chances of making a deal.

Kamiya wants to stay in business, make new contracts for his team and so on, and that's why he cannot let his mental conditions be taken into question right now.

Or may, you know, there's nothing to admit and he was fine?
When there's this kind of situation, you go silent until the business deal is out officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom