• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mogwai

They do stack all of them do the ring and the stamina regeneration shields I believe.

Maughlin in Majula for armor.

Hmm, okay. Might just be the Insolent shield that has a somewhat weaker effect than Chloranthy +2. Better go do a little testing myself sometime.

Booshka

Hmm, okay. Might just be the Insolent shield that has a somewhat weaker effect than Chloranthy +2. Better go do a little testing myself sometime.

I think stacking stamina recovery items isn't really worth it, best to just keep your equip load under 50%, Cloranthy+2 and munch on Green Blossoms as well. I never noticed a big enough difference to warrant using the shields, they are heavier then what I would like, and really mess up my equip load min/max when trying to get to sub 50%.

GorillaJu

You don't need to spend 15k at Maughlin to get boss armor, 15k is for Alva/Aurorus (or whatever it's called). You only need to spend 1k for boss gear

Renekton

I think stacking stamina recovery items isn't really worth it, best to just keep your equip load under 50%, Cloranthy+2 and munch on Green Blossoms as well. I never noticed a big enough difference to warrant using the shields, they are heavier then what I would like, and really mess up my equip load min/max when trying to get to sub 50%.
Well a good shield like Watcher is only 3 units, can't be that bad

Mogwai

Good info there. Thankies.

Might as well go for the <50% equip load then. Seems like the STA regen from the shield is negated by its own weight.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I beat Freja and grabbed the Primal Soul and lit the primal bonfire but when I look in my inventory I'm not seeing a primal soul from the battle. I got the Primal Soul Embraced message when I grabbed the one on the ground but I'm not seeing it. Is this a glitch?

I beat Freja and grabbed the Primal Soul and lit the primal bonfire but when I look in my inventory I'm not seeing a primal soul from the battle. I got the Primal Soul Embraced message when I grabbed the one on the ground but I'm not seeing it. Is this a glitch?

You don't get one from her, it is not a glitch. If this is your first playthrough, you should only have the Soul of the Duke's Dear Freja automatically granted to you after killing her and that's it.

Mistel

Banned
No that's mean to happen as it counts as one after you embrace it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
You don't get one from her, it is not a glitch. If this is your first playthrough, you should only have the Soul of the Duke's Dear Freja automatically granted to you after killing her and that's it.

No that's mean to happen as it counts as one after you embrace it.

I see, so after I beat the Old Iron King I should have three great souls in my inventory as I've already beaten The Rotten and the Lost Sinner, right?

Mistel

Banned
I see, so after I beat the Old Iron King I should have three great souls in my inventory as I've already beaten The Rotten and the Lost Sinner, right?
You will have four the rotten's, lost sinner's, iron kings's and the one you just embraced after killing freja.
What's the best Spear in the game right now? I don't believe I have seen any thoughts on that, yet.
I'd say Pate's for the reach as it's a upsized winged spear.

Mistel

Banned
Appreciate that. I'll have to give it a good test run tomorrow.
I also have a gargoyle bident as it scales with strength with C scaling at max with 250 damage. A bit weaker on terms of damage is the stone soldier spear with 170 but it has C/C scaling so you might prefer that to the bident.

The spitfire spear as the name suggest fire firebals for it's strong attack so that might interest you also. That's pretty much it other than mentioning that Ornstein's spear is rather lackluster.

But experiment and you'll find one that suits you eventually.

Firebrand

Are there any weapons in the game that are invisible by default? I assume the Hidden Weapon buff goes away if you switch weapon and back? Just fought someone who was switching weapons back and forth yet they were all invisible. Was the laggiest match with plenty of teleportations so maybe that ate the weapon data, though the weapon type seem to have registered just fine.

In other news, after countless hours of waiting for jolly co-op summons as well as policecop business, I'm finally ... rank 1 with the blue sentinel. I truly beat the game now, and can rest. And oh, I guess I ventured into NG+ territory. Seems like a scary place.

Mistel

Banned
Are there any weapons in the game that are invisible by default? I assume the Hidden Weapon buff goes away if you switch weapon and back? Just fought someone who was switching weapons back and forth yet they were all invisible.
Didn't the red phantom Rhoy the explorer have an invisible weapon in the Grave of Saints?
That's becuase like the player fireband faced Rhoy has the ring of the exalted and the ring of the conqueror. Which means that both of Rhoy's weapons are invisible. In the case of the player it was probably the exalted ring.

knitoe

I don't know, the second one seems impossible. No dying? That's not even Dark Souls.

I can do a no death run but honestly i just dont want to. Maybe after I feel like ive done everything else.

After doing finishing a no death run, everything else feels like a joke. Took about 30 runs. Which was way too many. After dying a few times, I started to rush it and kept on wiping to the most stupid things. The No Resting at bonfire was a piece of cake. I way over prep for that run.

Soulhouf

Speaking of no death run, after failing twice to do a no death fresh run, I decided to do a combined no death/no bonfire run in NG+4 SL150 and I succeeded (PS3)!
I went with pyromancy build which was surprisingly very effective (except for Iron Fortress of course). I almost died against unexpected bosses (Skeleton Lords and Mirror Knight lol). The run wasn't really hard but so stressful.
Of course I only did the mandatory stuff to finish the game and I didn't bother with optional routes. The entire run clocked at 8 hours and I did it in one shot non stop.
Pretty satisfied with it but I don't want to do it again. It was the most stressful gaming afternoon I ever did.

Speaking of no death run, after failing twice to do a no death fresh run, I decided to do a combined no death/no bonfire run in NG+4 SL150 and I succeeded (PS3)!
I went with pyromancy build which was surprisingly very effective (except for Iron Fortress of course). I almost died against unexpected bosses (Skeleton Lords and Mirror Knight lol). The run wasn't really hard but so stressful.
Of course I only did the mandatory stuff to finish the game and I didn't bother with optional routes. The entire run clocked at 8 hours and I did it in one shot non stop.
Pretty satisfied with it but I don't want to do it again. It was the most stressful gaming afternoon I ever did.

The hard part is the mentality of not dying rather than doing something stupid.

Jaeger

Random, but one artist's view of how the Iron Keep works in relation to Earthen Peak's location, and that elevator going up.

05XAJdcG.jpg

Helix Halberd powerstanced with Mastodon Halberd is the best Spear in the game.

Haha, yea, I saw that vid. Too OP, but I love it. I'm actually about to do some fashion souls cosplay, for this fella (from the same artist who did the above image);

Who of course, is him having fun with good ol' Red Pyramid, who wields both a spear, and a giant knife in Silent Hill 2.

Jaeger

That's the one place where I do recommend you run through. It's not hard once you figure out where the second bonfire is. Safe haven.

Seanspeed

Banned
Get a whip and a couple bombs.

Also the poison idols only respawn if you teleport to another area. You can clear once, and then bonfire + farm repeatedly for easy souls and chunks.
I'm just trying to clear the area. Every retry of the boss involves tediously having to equip special gear and take out all the damn statues and whatnot.

I'm not struggling with it, like I said - its just annoying.

Giving up for the night. Keep dying to the boss in stupid ways and don't have patience to keep going through the area.

NBtoaster

I'm just trying to clear the area. Every retry of the boss involves tediously having to equip special gear and take out all the damn statues and whatnot.

Giving up for the night. Keep dying to the boss in stupid ways and don't have patience to keep going through the area.

There are only a few you have to roll past. You did find the second bonfire right?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone use an Xbox One controller on the PC with this? Any issues with the official drivers?

spliced

Funny thing I noticed in Black Gultch is after destroying all the statues and being summoned for the boss I came back to my world and the statues were gone.

knitoe

My first time, I was also trying to destroy the statues and being careful not to poison. Once I figure that being poison is really a none issue, all you have to do is just chug potion(s) when you health gets low. You should have plenty of potions by then. So, ignore the statues, get poison, chug potions and repeat.

Aurongel

Funny thing I noticed in Black Gultch is after destroying all the statues and being summoned for the boss I came back to my world and the statues were gone.

They're weird like that, they'll only reset if you unload the zone from memory. Resting at the bonfire doesn't bring them back (thank god...).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I need some advice as to which weapon(s) I should be using. I'm about to go to the Shrine of Winter and am currently using a+10 lightning infused Priest's Chime (absolutely amazing) and a a +7 lightning infused Heide Knight Sword. I also have a +5 mace that I haven't enchanted. I think I could probably go with a better weapon than my current sword. My stats are 51 Fth, 20 Str, and 10 Dex.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I don't PVP at all. All I care about is PVE.

Firebrand

I need some advice as to which weapon(s) I should be using. I'm about to go to the Shrine of Winter and am currently using a+10 lightning infused Priest's Chime (absolutely amazing) and a a +7 lightning infused Heide Knight Sword. I also have a +5 mace that I haven't enchanted. I think I could probably go with a better weapon than my current sword. My stats are 51 Fth, 20 Str, and 10 Dex.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I don't PVP at all. All I care about is PVE.
Try Lightning-infusing the Bastard Sword (you can get infinite boltstones from Targray, The Man Who Stares At Skyboxes in the Blue Cathedral) and see what damage output that gives you (at +10 it's 196/196 with a C/D/B scaling). It has a nice balance between reach and speed. It does require 11 dex.

Jaeger

Anyone doing fashion-souls, and try and act like the character they are mimicking? NPC or enemy characters?

Anyone use an Xbox One controller on the PC with this? Any issues with the official drivers?

No clue, to be honest. I'm hoping someone else can answer your question. Is that what you are using now?

Top Bottom