• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condemned

Banned
I'm assuming part of this has to do with Kojima actually wanting to finally end the Metal Gear series and obviously that won't sit well with Konami. Understandably it's the company's biggest cash cow, there's no way they'd let it go. They've likely taken over complete control of the IP.

This was bound to happen eventually. Hideo can't work on the series until his death.

My thoughts exactly.

Not like he can't just go open another studio with the same team, there probably aren't many publishers that would turn down working with them. He's entitled to like 40 other credits so it's not his name isn't still going to be in front of the game.

It's much worse news for Konami, they might as well liquidate all of their assets and update their resumes now.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Ok, rampant super speculation!

If Kojima has indeed left/is going to leave Konami soon. What's he to do? He is 51 years old so nowhere near retiring age. What if Kojima wanted to pursue VR which Konami won't allow due to their mobile focussed business model.

Kojima brandishing the flag for Japanese VR content?

Alienous

If this is something to do with Kojima there's no way the studio would exist without him. They'd all quit before that happened, I'm sure.

scrambles

Neo Member
Konami removing the icon and title from the game art doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Even if he broke into their koi ponds one night after karaoke, acted out a dramatic scene from a Midsummer night's dream and killed all the fish, they would not remove him. That removal is going to cost them sales.

It only makes sense that he asked to be removed.

There are 4 new appointments to the board after this restructuring.
My guess is that HK was upset at not being appointed, and forced them to remove his name from the game.
It is very likely that HK owns the rights to KojiPro as a deal worked out within the company in lieu of things like corporate appointment. Like, "we can't put you on the board, but we will give you your own studio".

It's pretty clear that this is Kojima's decision. The only question is motive.
It's also possible that Konami is trying to mess with his game.

kubus

"How do you know Konami only makes PES and pachinko games? How do you know they didn't once make more? What have the Patriots Konami told you?"

Revven

Jeez, what crazy news to wake up to and it's still developing. Fuck. I hope this isn't super bad news in the long-run...

Elginer

the videos on Konami´s youtube channel are still the same..

but

the header..

9OsShtm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/konami

What the fuck is this shit? This is just wrong.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's much worse news for Konami, they might as well liquidate all of their assets and update their resumes now.

Uh, Kojima isn't the only thing Konami has to their name. Yes, they aren't really doing much, but I don't think one man quitting will shut down all of Konami.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Time for Shuhei to hire Kojima to lead Japan Studio...

Coconut

Banned
I hope Kojima leaves and is able to do other things that aren't Metal Gear. I'm always in for his brand of weirdness.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This makes no sense as some elaborate troll. There's legal changes happening, that you just wouldn't do if it was a troll.. they changed a studio's name.

They scrubbed his name off of everything they could.

Either there's a huge scandal brewing that he's involved in, or he's leaving.

Either way, end of an era.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is now a bad time to ask for snake dlc in smash 4

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
His team started working on MGS6 but they fucked it up again, so Konami asked Kojima again to come back but this time he said definitely no so they erase the Kojima Productions logo from MGSV were his team worked over 5 fucking years on it.

I swear if this happened then I'm done with Konami.

Oh my god I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom