• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinktaco

Even being profitable, I'm not sure how much of a viable prospect they are from the perspective of a higher-up at Konami.

> 5 development years (since the last main-line title).
> A brand-new game engine
> 2 development studios
> Marketing costs
> One game

That's got to be a hefty bill to look at, and it might be deemed unnecessary when the other parts of Konami's business practices probably don't require that much investment, or as much of a wait for a return on investment.

It might just be money that Konami corporate thinks would be better spent manufacturing poker chips, or whatever the fuck else they do.

Yeah it's not like they'll provide 2 games and hopefully a very competent online component. Not to mention a new game engine which can be used to other games like Silent Hills.

But sire if Konami is looking at mobile games cash cows to compare with the MGS brand and Kojima have absolutely no place at Konami.

Phatcorns

He can easily get investors and a studio. But it won't be easy to get $100M-$200M(development and marketing budget) and 5 years development time.

Hmm, good point. But I do still think it's plenty feasible for him to get AAA levels of publisher money behind him. I'm probably echoing other people at this point, but I'm sure Microsoft would be interested.

If Kojima leaves Konami...I see them going under. MGS can not survive without Kojima. They might as well sell Kojima the IP for MGS, it's rightfully his anyway.

But in all fairness the man has been wanting to work on something other than MGS since like 2003. It sucks that this may very well be the last MGS game we get....Where would you guys like to see Kojima go? Personally I feel like he has a good relationship with Sony. I would love to see him head his own studio under Sony, they would certainly give him all the respect and titles Konami gave him plus creative freedom to pursue what ever he wanted to.

If Kojima leaves Konami...I see them going under. MGS can not survive without Kojima. They might as well sell Kojima the IP for MGS, it's rightfully his anyway.

But in all fairness the man has been wanting to work on something other than MGS since like 2003. It sucks that this may very well be the last MGS game we get....Where would you guys like to see Kojima go? Personally I feel like he has a good relationship with Sony. I would love to see him head his own studio under Sony, they would certainly give him all the respect and titles Konami gave him plus creative freedom to pursue what ever he wanted to.

Konami is fine without Kojima, they sell a bunch of other stuff and game making on consoles is actually not much of their total business practice anymore. They sell a bunch of health stuff, slot machines, card games..., so yea, thinking Konami is dead by restructuring/axing Kojima studios is naive.

I saw this coming. If this Silent Hill reboot fails it's all over for Konami, and that's if they are still on schedule to get the game made.

Subaru

I'm sad because this time is real, there won't be new Kojima's MGS... this is sad because his games are awesome, even with some problems here and there, they are very unique and creative.

It's a loss for everyone.

QaaQer

Man, what is happening to video games.

Videogame companies are like silent movie era studios that don't want the creative types to have any power.

Someone should let them in on the fact that stars, whether directors, actors, or writers, get products attention and are in the long run more profitable than some no-name system.

A Kojima game carries infinitely more weight than a Konami game.

N30RYU

NuRIDZ8.jpg

"Press X to Pay Respects"

This is so fucking surreal. The fact that Silent Hills is either cancelled or massively gimped is fucking depressing. I guess Del Toro may be able to give us something good but the ability of Kojima to execute a vision was the reason I was psyched for it.

QaaQer

I'm certainly not worried about Konami as a business - they've been quite successful with their diversification as you say - but I continue to lament the change in direction.

Looking back at Konami's history it's fair to say that they've produced multiple generations worth of classic games. Few retro games command prices like Konami's classics these days - people love these games and remember them fondly. They were one of the most influential and high quality development houses in gaming for decades.

They've basically abandoned those fans and changed course - they are a different kind of business and, as such, no longer interesting to fans of video games.

So, yeah, most of us DO only pay attention to their video games as that is the only reason we have any interest in their company. If they cease producing content such as this (they basically already have) then they're really irrelevant to video games players. They've just moved on to a different type of business, which is great for their investors and employees, but sad for those of us that used to love their output. Kojima leaving would basically remove the only interesting thing they had left for us.

They become as interesting as Cybex International.

Risev1

"At a team meeting, Mr Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans."

Gosh Kojima..... You're gonna make me tear up....

eot

Banned
Videogame companies are like silent movie era studios that don't want the creative types to have any power.

Someone should let them in on the fact that stars, whether directors, actors, or writers, get products attention and are in the long run more profitable than some no-name system.

A Kojima game carries infinitely more weight than a Konami game.

I think that's wishful thinking. Most people who buy big mainstream games don't seem to care about who directed the game. Did AC stop selling after Patrice left? Or take Shinji Mikami as another example. I think RE5 outsold RE4, and certainly TWE and all his other semi-recent games.

Konami is fine without Kojima, they sell a bunch of other stuff and game making on consoles is actually not much of their total business practice anymore. They sell a bunch of health stuff, slot machines, card games..., so yea, thinking Konami is dead by restructuring/axing Kojima studios is naive.
Konami isn't going anywhere, but Konami Digital Entertainment is going to take a hit if KojiPro leaves. KDE still makes money from PES and Yu-Gi-Oh, though, so I think they will weather through it.

Its employees, though? A lot of them will probably have to find new work.

Naminator

Banned
I'm more than sure that he will be able to join pretty much any dev team or create his own after leaving Konami.

I'm almost sure that some Publishers are already salivating at the thought of getting Kojima on their team to create a game with a "A Kojima Production" stamp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom