• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risev1

The only ones hurting from this are probably Konami. Kojima and Co get to finish up their MGSV the way they want (hopefully), and then move on to create projects THEY want, instead of submitting to Konami's whims.

The only victim here is Silent Hills.

Nugg

NeoGAF Exclusive: Kojima statement about Konami:

"But then one day, he goes and kills us all! He couldn't even be original about the way he did it. I'm not complaining... I was dying of boredom anyway, But guess what? I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me."

DSix

Banned
RIP Silent Hills, I was really really looking forward to it...

Konami will now be gutting their production capabilities just like they did with all the other internal studios they had. I have absolutely no confidence in them.

tumblr_m4hitzl7yP1roew1yo1_500.gif

Please be false... Kojima, where are you?

Ananaz

Maybe he'll follow the same path his bro Ryan Payton went through. He'll join MS and work on Halo 7 for a year or two until he leaves due to creative differences. Then he can do a Kickstarter for a new indie mobile game.

Maybe then we can get Hayter back!

jimi_dini

"We'll keep working on the franchises you know and love like Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Pro Evolution Soccer. Please look forward to Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain releasing later this year"

"We know that you love Metal Gear, so we will offer you those type of games regularly."

"We currently plan to release the following games in the next 3 years:
Metal Gear Solid: Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid: Brotherhood
Metal Gear Solid: Revelations
Metal Gear Solid: Wolf Flag
Metal Gear Solid: Memories
and also the first game in our new Metal Gear branch called 'Metal Gear Solid: Mobile' for our customers, that are using mobile phones and love free to play games. Thank you for your continued support. We will make sure that you will be able to give us lots and lots of money in the future"

heidern

Is that true? Are Kojima's games unprofitable? Where is your evidence for that?

They likely are profitable so far but the chance of profitability in future is being eroded.

Correct me if I'm wrong but MGS typically sells 6M? That's $360M gross or around $180M net for Konami. We know from GTA and Destiny that publishing a high level AAA game can run into hundreds of millions. There's been a contraction/collapse in the Japanese console market. There's been contraction in the west as well. They already had problems with Ground Zeroes and the pricing.

The viability of this kind of game isn't clear cut. The same applies to RE/FF etc. It's tough having to compete with Activision/EA/Ubisoft/Take Two.

benzy

All that hard work on the incredible Fox Engine. Now we'll never get to see Kojima fully utilize it for current-gen. :(

bhktti.gif

Phatcorns

I don't see why everyone is seeing this as a necessarily bad thing. He can get investors and a studio behind him with the wave of a hand. Finally, he can make something besides Metal Gear.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how much Konami would want for the Silent Hill IP. Maybe as a collaborative effort we could save multiple franchises.

Nugg

I hope all of this just some kind of deception.

E3 2017. Nintendo Press Conference. Kojima lands on stage with a jetpack. "Kept you waiting, huh?". Fireworks and pyrotechnics. Metal Gear Solid 6 is a Nintendo NX launch game.

Even being profitable, I'm not sure how much of a viable prospect they are from the perspective of a higher-up at Konami.

> 5 development years (since the last main-line title).
> A brand-new game engine
> 2 development studios
> Marketing costs
> One game

That's got to be a hefty bill to look at, and it might be deemed unnecessary when the other parts of Konami's business practices probably don't require that much investment, or as much of a wait for a return on investment.

It might just be money that Konami corporate thinks would be better spent manufacturing poker chips, or whatever the fuck else they do.

To be fair, it's not like the new engine can only be used for Metal Gear. They're going to squeeze as many of their games as possible through it - I know the new Pro Evo games run on it, and Silent Hills is (was?) being made for it.

As for other costs, fairly hefty sure, but this is a blockbuster game, and blockbusters don't come cheap. You can also attribute a couple of those years to creating the engine too - a process that needed to be done regardless.

Had Kojima stayed, I doubt the next Metal Gear would've been 5 years away. More like 3.

cloud279

Neo Member
I don't know if this is true or an april fools joke.
If true, why is konami stripping Kojima of his title as "A Hideo Kojima Game"?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kojima's twitter being silient is pretty much all the confirmation you need. No tweeting lunches, no movie/tv show hauls. Nada.

Hynad

Banned
Kojima played like a damn fiddle..

"April's Fool" is coming. If you want to get them, you'll have to start thinking about it now."If you wait until April 1st, people will know you're fucking with them right away. You should do it in advance so people get really fooled. =D"

If this is the case, who will have been played?

heidern

I don't see why everyone is seeing this as a necessarily bad thing. He can get investors and a studio behind him with the wave of a hand. Finally, he can make something besides Metal Gear.

He can easily get investors and a studio. But it won't be easy to get $100M-$200M(development and marketing budget) and 5 years development time.

Kyolux

He can easily get investors and a studio. But it won't be easy to get $100M-$200M(development and marketing budget) and 5 years development time.

We can only wish..

For now, I feel like it'll go either the way of Clover > Platinum or Keiji Inafune. Hopefully the former, but actually selling the games that he makes.

Chinner

Banned
Maybe he'll follow the same path his bro Ryan Payton went through. He'll join MS and work on Halo 7 for a year or two until he leaves due to creative differences. Then he can do a Kickstarter for a new indie mobile game.

I shouldn't have said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom