• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Yes. It runs at ~1350 MHz in-game.
Thx. I am curious where something like my Titan X @ 1425 mhz will plateu resolution-wise. If I can hit 2880X1620 @ a predominately 60 fps (small fps drops with a lot of alpha effects infron of the camera is A-OK by me for this game), I would be pretty happy. I think, like other soul's games hopefully, that all the pixel density really helps the art. Now only if I had a higher resolution display...

I have asked many times but nobody has answered. Any idea on performance on a 970m?

google 970m
check the benchmarks
establish that it's slightly slower than a desktop 960
check the 950 benchmarks on the previous page of this thread
conclusion = 1080p high settings

It's not that hard people.

borborygmus

I have asked many times but nobody has answered. Any idea on performance on a 970m?

A 970m is probably close to a desktop 960. You may be just on the limit of being able to get 60fps on High at 1080p, but of course this is just an educated guess.

Sanctuary

It's far too early to say for sure, so please don't see this as any kind of final judgement, but in terms of those early impressions it seems closer to DS1-tier than DS2-tier in terms of magic utility and variety. I'm also not sure I prefer the MP-based system to the Vancian system of the earlier games.

I'm assuming you never played Demon's Souls then? Because it was the earliest game, and it used an MP system.

The DS3 drivers are already out, so I think it's all on From Soft now.

Just like the 364.51 drivers, Nvidia's then beta 364.72 (now the latest) are still buggy as hell and caused repeated crashes for multiple users. I experienced driver crashing a few times a day with each, and had to revert back to the February drivers; which have been perfectly stable. So no, it's not just all on FROM now.

Gbraga

Just like the 364.51 drivers, Nvidia's then beta 364.72 (now the latest) are still buggy as hell and caused repeated crashes for multiple users. I experienced driver crashing a few times a day with each, and had to revert back to the February drivers; which have been perfectly stable. So no, it's not just all on FROM now.

Jesus, they still didn't fix this shit? Come on, Nvidia.

Sanctuary

Jesus, they still didn't fix this shit? Come on, Nvidia.

Take the "bricking" with a huge grain of salt. These are the exact same problems people were reporting with the drivers--that were pulled--they were to replace too.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-latest-game-ready-driver-allegedly-killing-gpus-plagued-issues/

With the 364.51 I'd get a lot of black screen and a loud stuttering/humming sound issues with the occasional hard system freeze, and with the 364.72 I'd get a tan (first time I've ever seen this) screen without stuttering, but I'd still have to reset my PC regardless.

-Gozer-

Now I'm a bit nervous about updating drivers.

Are 364.72 useful for single card users or does it just add an SLI profile for DS3?

Any benchmarks for single card users with and without 364.72?

Dezere

Neo Member
I'm bad with PC specs so could anyone give me a rough estimate judging by the performance whether an R9 290X and an (Underclocked to 3.4 GHZ for Temp issues until i get a new heatsink) FX-8350 will cut it?

Kudo

What kind of fps should I expect on Ultra 1440p with i7-6700k & GTX 780? Any chance of 60 with dipping or will it be more near 30?
Also does the PC version have native Dualshock 4 support?
Thanks.

NBtoaster

I'm not sure if this benchmark was posted yet, but a 750 Ti seems to doing okay even when paired with a really weak AMD FX-4100.

_id1459259858_343178.png

This seems pretty promising for my A8 6600k. Kind of worried for my 260x though. I'm willing to drop as low as 720p 30, and there shouldn't be a 20fps difference between it and a 750ti. Seems like the minimum requirements are for low at 1080p.

The last new game I got was Just Cause 3 and I was horribly burned on that so I'm scared..

Jimrpg

Good to know that the bloodborne engine runs well on PC and seems easy to translate over to PC given their simultaneous release dates.

Orayn

Good to know that the bloodborne engine runs well on PC and seems easy to translate over to PC given their simultaneous release dates.

Sounds like it's more of an evolved version of the Dark Souls 2 engine that incorporates some Bloodborne stuff, at least according to Durante.

Sounds like it's more of an evolved version of the Dark Souls 2 engine that incorporates some Bloodborne stuff, at least according to Durante.

I would imagine bloodborne's engine and dark souls 2's engine are kinda of just iterations of the same core engine branch. I do not think they are taking one thing from the other, but probably, there is a historical continuity where after every project things are reintegrated into the main branch.

Why maintain and create separate "engines" for games that play the same and have extremely similar technical requirements?

I think the bloodborne engine, aka the ds3 engine, is just a later version of that stuff from DS2. Not separate things which then had a "pick and choose" integration.

teokrazia

Saw until the first boss: on my 5820K@4.2 GHz, GTX 970 Twin FROZR V (Game Ready 364.51 drivers), 16 GB 2666 MHz, game installed on my Sammy 850 EVO, at 1080p maxed I predictably have butter smooth 60 FPS, but I had a weird freeze of a couple of seconds, in the forest.

I'm starting to broadcast it, BTW:
https://www.twitch.tv/teokrazia

Sanctuary

PC was ok for awhile, I covered some areas in my review. Basically some parts of the
swamp
absolutely became almost unplayable at 18 frames per second on a 980gtx. Then would go back up. Too many alphas, long draw distance, and lots of particles and reflections.

Reviewer for ACG. He also said that turning down the graphical options had no noticeable effect on this.

Karak

Ya that's me with the swamp report lol.
I assume that will get some patches. Many games have that one area where there is just too much going on and almost feels like some kind of bug. Lots of really crazy special effects going on there and a pretty solid view distance too and some of them you can't actually turn off. Just turn down. More than almost anywhere else expect for a couple boss fights.

Jedi2016

Consoles take a hit in the swamps, too.

I'm surprised they don't try to get these things sorted out earlier. The Witcher 3 had the same problem (also in the swamps, interestingly), I'm not sure if they ever really got it 100% sorted.

Karak

Consoles take a hit in the swamps, too.

I'm surprised they don't try to get these things sorted out earlier. The Witcher 3 had the same problem (also in the swamps, interestingly), I'm not sure if they ever really got it 100% sorted.

Ya I noticed that(have all 3 versions) Hoping for a patch.

teokrazia

I've tried to switch to 2560x1440, through DSR, but my system can't handle it.
Frames fluctuate between 48 and 60 FPS, there's some stutter and controls responsiveness take a very noticeable hit. I can't even go for 2351x1323

It seems that the only downsampling option that I can afford is 2103x1183 [but at that point, better stay at 1080p and enjoy every performance margin :p ].

PFD

I've tried to switch to 2560x1440, through DSR, but my system can't handle it.
Frames fluctuate between 48 and 60 FPS, there's some stutter and controls responsiveness take a very noticeable hit. I can't even go for 2351x1323

It seems that the only downsampling option that I can afford is 2103x1183 [but at that point, better stay at 1080p and enjoy every performance margin :p ].

And your card is...?

Edit: nvm just saw above that it's a 970. Crossing fingers for my 980 Ti

Mifec

I ordered the prestige PC edition from amazon.fr and today I was informed that my order may be up to a week late. Just a heads up if anyone ordered the PC version from there.

tariniel

I'd love to get 60fps @ 1440p like others are talking about but if a 970 can't do it, there no way in hell my 680 will. As long as I can swing 60 @ 1080 I think I'll be happy.

ACE 1991

So how CPU heavy is this game? I'm imagining not much. 970 + 2500K Oc'd to 4.0 at 1080P should run well for the most part?

shiyrley

Banned
I wonder how it will run on my 660Ti. I have a 1440p monitor but I'm fine with playing at 1080p (will upgrade GPU when pascal gets released). I guess I can hit 60 FPS at med-high settings at 1080p?

Top Bottom