• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Lan_97

Got the adventure packs in today. The extra levels in the console version are an interesting change of pace and took about 40-60 minutes each to complete (while trying to search for everything in the level). On the 3DS they each open up an additional platforming and arena level (still, the 3DS game could use 3-4 more full worlds). Level figures have no other effect in the 3DS game.

Timed magic items would be much better if they could be kept on the portal and toggled on/off with a button. The chest item is nice to have around, except for the constant chiming. Some of the items have different effects on the 3DS, and they are all multiple use at the cost 10 radiance.

There should really be an option to turn off the character animations when swapping figures, unless the only reason it's there is to hide load time.

chiQ

Hmm, I 100%ed the pirate level first try in around 10 minutes, which was a real let-down, though it was kind of fun. I could have done with 40 minutes of that. I have to wonder if the 3DS experience is richer, hearing you got so much from that level.

I agree regarding the chiming of the chest. It should be silent unless you're in proximity to a chest.

The ghost swords are great.

Lan_97

Yea, I'm not sure why the pirate level took almost 40 minutes for me. I was using the Lv1 figures that came in the sets so I was moving and fighting slower. I somehow also beat the target time on the level so maybe I just misread my clock.

chiQ

Has anyone played this on 3DS and also one of the other platforms? I'd be interested to hear comparisons and opinions, i.e. would you bother having both? Which would you prefer? Just how different is the 3Ds game, and is it as fun?

fernoca

Has anyone played this on 3DS and also one of the other platforms? I'd be interested to hear comparisons and opinions, i.e. would you bother having both? Which would you prefer? Just how different is the 3Ds game, and is it as fun?

The 3DS game is a completely different game altogether. Different story too. The game in general plays like the original Crash Bandicoot games (fixed camera, lots of jumping and avoiding obstacles, enemies that are mostly there to slow you down, simple combat). Characters has mostly the same attacks and gain levels (faster); though Dark Spyro plays different, unlike the console/PC version on which he plays like Spyro.

The other versions are morel like classic dungeon/hack & slash kind of games. No jumping, you go around beating enemies, earning coins and experience that you can use to upgrade your abilities (even through different path. 3DS version upgrades are fixed -i.e. you earn them while you level up).

Multiplayer is a strong focus in the consoles/PC versions (cooperative, competitively); yet is non-existent on the 3DS version.

Portal use is also different. on the 3DS version you put a figure in the portal, and the information is stored in the game, until you put the figure back. You can have 2 figures stored at the same time; but you can't swap so when both figures lose all their life in the game you're sent back to the hub.

As far as having both, it depends on how much you like the characters and concept. The 3DS version is a nice companion to the "big game"; it's also shorter (3-5 hours) and can be easily beaten with one Level 10 figure, while the other versions may sometimes require lots of swapping of figures to beat some areas/bosses.

I still recommend the 3DS version to anyone, not only because it's a nice addition and Skylanders game or because it's an unique take on the Skylanders games (compared to the other ones); but also because it's an overall well done and fun 3DS game and should be recommended to anyone that just wants a good 3DS game (like Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, etc.). The consoles/PC version are great games on their own too.

chiQ

Okay, thanks. I don't have a 3DS (only launch DS I no longer use), but I've been wanting to play Ocarina of Time, so I am weighing other games I can play in my decision about whether or not to buy a 3DS.

BooJoh

I think the idea that you level up faster in the 3DS game is a bit of a misconception. It's true in the early stages of both games, but in the 3DS game the later levels can be rather tough with weaker characters, though you can level two at once without even using one of them, but if you take a level 1 character into the last level of the console version, you can easily reach level 6-7 by the time you finish as long as you can avoid enemy attacks. I've never gained more than one level in a single level on 3DS as far as I can remember.

That said, it took me about 7 hours to beat the 3DS game, and there's 120 (maybe more, not sure) crystals to earn, I think I have around half of them, so there's a lot of reason to replay levels with different characters. It feels like a short game for the entry price, but it's a lot of fun and in the end I'm glad I bought it. There's really no reason to even compare the 3DS and console games because they're completely different types of gameplay.

I also wouldn't worry too much about leveling characters on 3DS and then bringing them to the console game because without any money or skills there's still a lot of growth needed to make them good in the console games.

On the flip side, a level 10 character from your console playthrough can probably make mincemeat out of a lot of the 3DS game, shortening the experience and maybe cheapening it a bit.

chiQ

Interesting. I'm milking the PS3 version for all it's worth, taking my time playing forwards, going back a lot to 100 % levels, trying levels with different characters, and generally faffing about a lot. I suspect that by the time I finish it all my characters will be level 10. I take it you can reset them though. I seem to remember something in the character properties menu...

Lan_97

Does anyone know how Chop Chop's shield skills work? I just bought into the shield line and they seem pretty poor. Absorbed damage looks like it only releases after building up enough damage (and released automatically with the final upgrade), and shield bashing resets all of the stored damage. Bleh.

EDIT: Gave up on the shield skills, reset and went down the Vampiric path.

Some comments on the 3DS version.

- A completely different experience than the console versions
- 5 worlds, each with 3 platforming levels, and 2 arena levels (where you fight enemies in a closed area and try to collect radiance). Each level has 5 crystals to collect by completing various tasks in the level (collect X radiance, kill x enemies, etc)
- Each Adventure pack opens up 1 new platforming level and 1 new arena level
- Playing straight through the game to the credits takes maybe 4 hours. Trying to collect all the crystals will be 10+ hours.
- Only Skylander experience levels are used in the game, money and stats from heroic challenges don't matter.
- Hats carry over between games, but give no bonus in the 3DS version.

Content wise, it's short. It really should have at least 3-4 more full worlds. It's also unfortunately priced the same as the console versions. But overall I think this is a great game by itself and even better with the home console version. It's very novel being able to to take your PS3/360 Skylander into a whole new game on the go and bring it back even stronger. And since character/level/item figures work across games it gives your already existing collection even more utility. Definitely recommended for those already invested in the PS3/360 version and have a 3DS.

Zing

Banned
Yes, as mentioned a few times in this thread, Walmart had all of them listed for a December 4th release date, and they were able to be pre-ordered online. Earlier this week, they have been moved to "unavailable" status.

There has been no info forthcoming from the official Facebook or twitter pages. Both of which mentioned more skylanders coming "in time for the holidays", but that was before the final three were released (hex, wrecking ball, dino rang), so it may have been referring to them.

Someone elsewhere claimed that Walmart's system now shows them for June 2012. That would be a shame if accurate.

rcl66

Was at Walmart and Toys R us last night doing Xmas shopping and the Skylanders sections were in bad shape. The game must be doing way better than expected (pretty sure bobby k already said as much). They had very few of any characters in stock, and Toys R us has everything priced a few dollars more then other stores. Single characters were $9.99 and the exclusive expansion (which was all they had) besides single or stater pack was priced at $24.99

Im still rather new to the game, and finally got some more time in with it today. Anyone having pretty bad freezing issues on 360? Was playing co-op, and had the system lock up twice.

Zing

Banned
I've seen at least two comments from people mentioning lock-ups, but they never said which system they were playing. I have played the game almost two times through now with no problems on the Wii, so I have to assume it is one of the other versions.

chiQ

I've played a huge amount on my PS3 and haven't had a lock-up (1 player), and I've also had a few hours of co-op without issue. The vast majority of my time in-game is alone though.

BooJoh

I've beaten but not gotten 100% on both PS3 and 3DS, and had each one lock up once.

I was at WalMart today, their stock was still pretty abysmal, and there was nothing newer than the last 3 that came out.

Lan_97

On PS3/3DS. I've seen a few glitches here and there on the PS3 version. The most notable is when transporters stop working. This happened once in a heroic challenge and a few times in the main levels. I've been unable to progress past the first area in the last chapter a few times. Luckily a reboot of the game fixed this problem.

I've also had the game freeze a couple times when switching to a new heroic challenge with the treasure chest still on the portal.

chiQ

Actually, I lied. I have had a lock-up, in a replay of the leviathan lagoon boss-fight, when I switched out a character. I had to reboot and start the level again.

Log4Girlz

This is the greatest idea of all time. Seriously, I would have exploded if I were a child in this age. I bet Nintendo is fucking kicking themselves that they haven't thought of it first :p

Hobbun

Went to Best Buy yesterday and saw what they call an "Adventure Pack". It contains the original game, the Pirate expansion and a 3 pack character expansion, giving a total of 7 characters.

The price works out to be the same if bought seperately (priced at 104.99) but it is nice for those who want to buy all of that as a gift as it is all nicely packaged up in a box.

They have it for all three main console games from what I saw (PS3, Wii and 360).

ugh there is a new series of rare skylanders coming ...

375456_315848945106935_191825297509301_1211667_2016500974_n.jpg

390726_315848985106931_191825297509301_1211668_1176266572_n.jpg

381145_315849008440262_191825297509301_1211669_244222789_n.jpg

uuugly!

Zing

Banned
I am becoming fairly certain that the new figures won't be out in time for Christmas. The official sources should have made mention of them by now. They'd have to be almost coming out of the pipeline at the distribution level by now to make it to the shelves in time.

fernoca

They admitted to having problems with the current shipments and not been able to supply demand; so guess that's why:
-The price has gone up in some stores (around here TRU and Wal-Mart have singles at $10)
-There's no word on new dates

At the same time, it could be the retailers/publishers fault. Since there has been so many deals since release (game and get figure free, game and get adventure pack free, game and get legendaries free, buy 1 get 1 free, 2 get 1 free, 2 for the price of one, 2 starters for $27, 1 single for $5); so of course people will get them all...so fast. :p

Cheska

Oh God, just picked up the PS3 version along with the Legendary pack, but now I may go back and buy the 3DS version as well because of the sweeeet Dark Spyro. Am I crazy guys?

chiQ

Totally. Welcome to Skylanders Anonymous.

I grabbed the last Darklight pack today. I didn't even realise it had come out here. I almost missed it. Demand is outstripping supply here too.

Cheska

Aw thanks! :D

Are there specific packs that are worth looking out for? Not for resale value or anything, but to actually keep.

Adventure Paks and 3-Paks of characters/elements you dont already have.

You can get by with having only 1 of each element so that you can get into every area in the main game.

Having multiples of the same element type, however, also offers increased stat and xp bonuses for those in that element. So its pretty convenient when lvling up a new char from scratch.

Tiktaalik

I think it's pretty clear that this game is one of the hot toys this holiday season. What will be most interesting is how ATVI handles the franchise after the holiday season and into next Christmas. It's going to take a careful plan to grow the idea into something lasting and to prevent Skylanders from being a one season fad toy.

Hobbun

I am becoming fairly certain that the new figures won't be out in time for Christmas. The official sources should have made mention of them by now. They'd have to be almost coming out of the pipeline at the distribution level by now to make it to the shelves in time.

I just spoke to the store manager of my local Gamestop and he said the new figures were shipped yesterday and should come in tomorrow or the day after (said it usually takes 2-3 days). I will let you know if they actually get the new figures in.

I haven't checked with the other stores (Wal-mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc).

BooJoh

I really don't see Skylanders keeping steam until Christmas 2012 unless they release some sort of expansion that allows for more levels or more figures. I don't know if those are things they planned for or not, but short of a full-fledged sequel I just don't see the game having that much longevity without adding a bunch more levels.

Ken

Really wish I picked up Skylanders while it had a $20 discount on Amazon. Prices for the 360 starter are pretty high now.

The two new 3-paks now available at my local Best Buy:

Zap, Hex, Dino-Rang:
6467948681_5e2f4f32a0_z.jpg

Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic boom:
6467948779_d5c3b38a4f_z.jpg

Also saw Darklight Crypt available there now too. No sign of the ice or fire adventure paks nor any other new chars. :C

Hobbun

I wonder why one of them is $19.99 and the other is $19.50. Not that it really makes all that much of a difference to myself as the differential is minor (and I already have the figures), but I would have figured they would the same price.

Although I do note the sticker descriptions vary, as well.

Zing

Banned
I just spoke to the store manager of my local Gamestop and he said the new figures were shipped yesterday and should come in tomorrow or the day after (said it usually takes 2-3 days). I will let you know if they actually get the new figures in.

I wish this were true. I have played through the game cooperatively to completion twice with the existing figures. I'm ready to give it a run solo with new, unlevelled characters. My daughter is also running out of things to do, since most of my figures are approaching max level and max upgrades.

Cheska

Played up until Chapter 4 last night with my boyfriend, and it was fairly fun. I can see parents enjoying the heck out of this with their kids. Around how long does it take to run through to main game?

I can see my OCD kicking in and having to buy a Skylander of each element so I can unlock the doors -_-

BooJoh

Okay Im very confused....isnt this like the ulimate evil in terms of on the disc DLC?

One could argue that with standard on-the-disc DLC you're paying to unlock something you already have, while with this, you're paying for the figures and getting the unlock with them.

I know I've paid for other gaming-related figures that didn't add characters to the games.

Zing

Banned
Played up until Chapter 4 last night with my boyfriend, and it was fairly fun. I can see parents enjoying the heck out of this with their kids. Around how long does it take to run through to main game?

I can see my OCD kicking in and having to buy a Skylander of each element so I can unlock the doors -_-

There are 22 chapters plus the final showdown. I'd say it took around 25 hours of coop play to finish. This is with exploring as much as possible and opening every gate we could find.

Each of the gates lead to a hat. Occasionally they lead to a chest or legendary treasure, but almost always just a hat. You aren't missing much if you cannot open them. That said, you should definitely have at least one of each element just for the fun factor. You will also need water and fire, or ones that have the flying upgrade, to access quite a few of the secret areas and items.

Ken

Picked up some Skylanders as a gift, though I expect that I'll be playing a decent amount of it too.

5344ed13.png

Top Bottom