• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
- WiCnet compiles tweets from "Oathkeeper" (marginally NSFW image via the link)

With regard to the White Walker baby making machine... It may very well be canon. If book fans don't want to be spoiled by the show, y'all should probably stop watching like now. If the White Walker baby thing wasn't clue enough, the show is cruising steadily into Future ASOIAF Canonland--and it seems sooner rather than later.

good advice. I have found a way to avoid spoilers: I'll let someone else watch it first. I know a guy who doesn't give a shit about spoilers. If there are spoilers.. lol not watching. For now the books are more important to me. Shame that I'll have to avoid all GoT/ASOIAF threads basically. edit: and tumblr. and all geek sites. basically the internet.

Showaddy

The story about the tavern sign coming back to shore rusted confirms he's a blackfyre for me. Until confirmed otherwise.

Yeah that story had like no relevance at all in Feast and then suddenly a long lost "Targaryen" washes ashore in Dance. Really awesome.

Edit: Here it is:

He forged a new sign for the yard, a three-headed dragon of black iron that he hung from a wooden post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire. When the wind blew it would clank and clatter, so the inn became known far and wide as the Clanking Dragon."
"Is the dragon sign still there?" asked Podrick.
"No," said Septon Meribald. "When the smith's son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sign of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign to pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust."

I'd be shocked if Aegon isn't a Blackfyre. Going back to the second book, there's too much evidence to suggest he's a fraud. Plus why would the Golden Company put a Targ on the throne.

I kind of wish Aegon could get his hands on an actual dragon though; I like that he's in Westeros already but it seems to make it very unlikely he gets a dragon.

After reading P&TQ it's very hard to believe Dany will have three dragons throughout this war, it would be unfair lol.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'd be shocked if Aegon isn't a Blackfyre. Going back to the second book, there's too much evidence to suggest he's a fraud. Plus why would the Golden Company put a Targ on the throne.

i remember reading a theory (or more like wild speculation) that was pretty fun: that aegon is real, but varys and illyrio have made the golden company think he's a blackfyre to get their support. that would sort of explain how the golden company "knows" he's a blackfyre while he retains connington on his side, who knows the truth. since the golden company do not come across as flipfloppers, it's almost certain either them or connington knows something the other don't.

but yeah, i definitely think he's fake, and probably a blackfyre. but i also think that might be exactly what gurm wants me to think.

RedShift

i remember reading a theory (or more like wild speculation) that was pretty fun: that aegon is real, but varys and illyrio have made the golden company think he's a blackfyre to get their support. that would sort of explain how the golden company "knows" he's a blackfyre while he retains connington on his side, who knows the truth. since the golden company do not come across as flipfloppers, it's almost certain either them or connington knows something the other don't.

but yeah, i definitely think he's fake, and probably a blackfyre. but i also think that might be exactly what gurm wants me to think.

Oh god, what if Aegon is just some random kid who looks a bit Targ, and Varys and Illyrio are telling the Golden Company he's a Blackfyre and telling everyone else he's Aegon?

Not even going to get into the theories that Varys = Serra and "Aegon" is him/her and Illyrio's son.

Yonafunu

Guys, I was just wondering; how is it possible for Aegon to have the recessive Targaryen traits, if he is indeed a Blackfyre? The male line is said to have ended quite some time ago, so the possible inbreeding should have ended back then too. The only way this would work out is if Aegon's mother's line only bred with men of pure Valyrian descent. This means Aegon's father was of Valyrian descent as well. Do we know if Illyrio has any of the traits?

Thinking about it a little more, it's pretty easy to just say Illyrio is indeed of Valyrian descent and make this a non-issue, so I guess this is all kinda pointless. But hey, I already wrote this so why not.

Ogimachi

I don't think he does it for shock value, although that does play a heavy role. I think he kills characters that put themselves in positions to be killed; Ned died because he refused to play the game, Robb died because he played the game poorly. Each death has a purpose and a reasoning behind it.
According to him, he does it when it's necessary to advance the plot the way he wants and because he wants the reader to feel like no character is safe. It works at times, but most of the major characters never seem in real danger to me.
I have to say, though, that as a Mannis fan I do fear he could die at any moment, but Jon is the perfect example. R+L=J is too obvious by now, he didn't even have to try..
GRRM also dropped the following possible hint at the Barclay Center premiere of GoT.

In response to how you kill a dragon:
"As for dragons, so far it doesn't seem like anything can beat one, does it? But perhaps it is only other dragons, that can beat a dragon?"

While he was speaking explicitly about how to kill an actual dragon, my first thought was he was also implicitly talking about Aegon vs. Dany. If that is the case, it would suggest that Aegon is either really Aegon or a Blackfyre. Given the other evidence presented, I'm going with Blackfyre.
Melisandre has mentioned stone dragons a couple of times and Old Nan tells stories of ice dragons. I think it will happen, I just hope it doesn't become too cheesy.

Guys, I was just wondering; how is it possible for Aegon to have the recessive Targaryen traits, if he is indeed a Blackfyre? The male line is said to have ended quite some time ago, so the possible inbreeding should have ended back then too. The only way this would work out is if Aegon's mother's line only bred with men of pure Valyrian descent. This means Aegon's father was of Valyrian descent as well. Do we know if Illyrio has any of the traits?

Thinking about it a little more, it's pretty easy to just say Illyrio is indeed of Valyrian descent and make this a non-issue, so I guess this is all kinda pointless. But hey, I already wrote this so why not.
Inheritance doesn't work like in our world, it's a fantasy setting. Some half-Targaryens had valyrian features, others had only one. Valyrian features are still common in Lys, and even Houses in Westeros still have them, such as Velaryon and Celtigar.
IIRC, Illyrio's wife had silver hair and blue eyes, so it's possible she had valyrian blood and Aegon is a Blackfyre from the female line.

I'm pretty sure Blackheart (Myles Toyne) knew the truth; Illyrio notes "some contracts are writ in blood" which suggests many things, perhaps including that Toyne was committed to putting a Blackfyre on the throne, as the previous leaders of the GC were.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
i wonder if people will know he was recast instead of just assuming he's a new person.

In the story recap before the episode they'll probably show the scene where he chops his horse's head off from S1 amd show Beric talk about the number of times he's killed him. That's how they usually reintroduce characters if they've been off TV for a while.

AkuMifune

Banned

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm pretty sure Blackheart (Myles Toyne) knew the truth; Illyrio notes "some contracts are writ in blood" which suggests many things, perhaps including that Toyne was committed to putting a Blackfyre on the throne, as the previous leaders of the GC were.

but i do think it's still an intriguing idea that what toyne thought was the truth really isn't. if varys and illyrio have managed to fool connington (and soon probably a good deal of westeros) that the kid is a targaryen, maybe they also fooled toyne and the golden company that he is a blackfyre.

Monocle

tumblr_n4p44lN1fd1s0mga2o2_1280.jpg

the fuck
Our future Shadow Queen in the North does whatever the fuck she wants. #TeamSansa

No really, I want Sansa to outplay Littlefinger, reinvent herself as the executive power bitch of Westeros, and wreck all comers. The last scene can take place in her new castle, a fully renovated Harrenhal. She and Grandma Tyrell will share lemon cakes in the throne room and make a toast to murder.

I think he's been writing been quickly over these last several months having nothing to do except write during the day and go to his cinema at night, no conventions or anything like that.
That's encouraging. If the threat of the show overtaking the books doesn't light a fire under his bum, nothing will.

GRRM is a delightful artist who should enjoy his success, but he spreads himself too thin.

SamVimes

Our future Shadow Queen in the North does whatever the fuck she wants. #TeamSansa

No really, I want Sansa to outplay Littlefinger, reinvent herself as the executive power bitch of Westeros, and wreck all comers. The last scene can take place in her new castle, a fully renovated Harrenhal. She and Grandma Tyrell will share lemon cakes in the throne room and make a toast to murder.

tumblr_n2d2qz04jd1qe76u6o1_500.png

I think he's been writing been quickly over these last several months having nothing to do except write during the day and go to his cinema at night, no conventions or anything like that.

Seems like the theater has really been good for him because it allows him to do events/meet fans without traveling.

emag

Yeah that story had like no relevance at all in Feast and then suddenly a long lost "Targaryen" washes ashore in Dance. Really awesome.

Edit: Here it is:

He forged a new sign for the yard, a three-headed dragon of black iron that he hung from a wooden post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire. When the wind blew it would clank and clatter, so the inn became known far and wide as the Clanking Dragon."
"Is the dragon sign still there?" asked Podrick.
"No," said Septon Meribald. "When the smith's son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sign of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign to pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust."

To me the evidence for YG as a Blackfyre is as good as the evidence that R+L=J, and that's pretty solid. GRRM does tend to be a bit heavy-handed in his foreshadowing, leaving a lot of cute tidbits for "observant" readers (or those who trawl internet message boards) to feel pretty clever for figuring out.

GRRM also dropped the following possible hint at the Barclay Center premiere of GoT.

"As for dragons, so far it doesn't seem like anything can beat one, does it? But perhaps it is only other dragons, that can beat a dragon?"

While he was speaking explicitly about how to kill an actual dragon, my first thought was he was also implicitly talking about Aegon vs. Dany. If that is the case, it would suggest that Aegon is either really Aegon or a Blackfyre. Given the other evidence presented, I'm going with Blackfyre.

I prefer to think he was hinting the Others have zombie ice dragons.

Paganmoon

Or maybe he means Ice Dragons can kill Fire dragons? :)

Kerned

Banned
I forget, is there any indication in the books that there may be ice dragons, or is that just assumed/hoped? ^^ That image is awesome, by the way. ^^

Iksenpets

Banned
Oh come on, Craster is a secret Targ is the best attempt at a crazy tinfoil theory we can muster up these days? Check this out, just pulled it together in five minutes:

Howland Reed = Bowen Marsh!

In the early days after the rebellion Howland saw in a green dream how important Jon was going to be and that Ned wasn't going to live to see Jon into adulthood, so he decided he was going to have to take the boy's destiny into his own hands. He knew that Benjen knew the truth behind Rhaegar and Lyanna's relationship, so he revealed Jon Snow's true identity to him and recruited him into his scheme.

Benjen would plant the seed, luring Jon into the Night's Watch, where Howland would be under cover to keep an eye on him. Jon got sorted into the stewards not because Mormont wanted him to rule, but because Howland, who had become head steward, wanted to keep him close. That all went awry when Jon saved Mormont's life and Mormont brought him on his ranging beyond the Wall.

Then, after Jon returned to Castle Black, when the Lord Commander election came up, Howland tried his best to keep Jon from winning, because he was afraid Jon would choose his position as Lord Commander over his duty as king. Once again, though, Howland wasn't prepared for Sam's expert politicking.

Howland became increasingly worried as he saw Jon grow close to Stannis, as he was effectively aiding the cause of a rival claimant, and when Jon was ready to ride against the Boltons to avenge Stannis he knew he had to act, so he launched his stabbing party, but not before he prepared some bit of bog magic — maybe, like, a frog-gut poultice or something? — to stop Jon's blood flow and keep him alive through the attack.

Winds is probably going to open with Jon regaining consciousness and finding himself strapped to the back of Howland's frog-mount that he kept hidden under Castle Black, hopping away toward Greywater Watch where Howland will reveal everything to him.

Craster having Targ blood isn't that farfetched of a theory.
I reckon that north of the wall, there's very, very few Wildlings with magical Targ blood running through their veins, so when the White Walkers found a dude with some they thought they could use him to bolster their numbers with more potent baby material.

I highly doubt we'll see an Ice Dragon, but it would be fucking awesome.

Who says the WW need Targ blood? I'm pretty sure they're picking those babes up cause they're free. Other wildlings would try to fight back or run.

Who says the WW need Targ blood? I'm pretty sure they're picking those babes up cause they're free. Other wildlings would try to fight back or run.

They might not need it, but it would make for a neat parallel between the magic of Rhlorr's followers and the White Walkers if both require blood with magical power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom