• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Only Cliffhanger besides LSH that would be epic, is for the Show to show why Bran needed to find the Three Eye Raven. To show whatever this power is supposed to be for, if it's to save the world at some point. Would harken back to the Dragon's in S1, a world changing event.

I wouldn't mind the Stoneheart reveal being moved to S5. I just don't want them to cut it altogether.
They haven't shown Coldhands, the Nightfort door, the proper House of the Undying and Jon warging. I know that those might not be needed for the story so far, but I think D&D want to tone down the supernatural elements of the books on the show, and that sucks.

Moff

The other moments slated for this episode don't qualify as cliffhangers and will not have viewers talking about the show for months on end like Catelyn Stark's return to avenge the Starks would.

really? they wont be talking about what bran does at bloodravens and the children of the forest?
they wont be talking about where tyrion might go after he killed his dad?
they wont be talking about where that coin might arya lead to?

well obviously its just me, but I think all of these qualify for much better cliffhangers and are much more integral to the story than stoneheart. which was in my opinion more a WTF moment than a cliffhanger, because it was obvious what she is doing there and I honestly didnt wonder for even a second what she might be up to.

Famassu

The other moments slated for this episode don't qualify as cliffhangers and will not have viewers talking about the show for months on end like Catelyn Stark's return to avenge the Starks would.

Tyrion killing Tywin & Shae and then leaving Westeros, Stannis arriving at the wall, Arya leaving Braavos and Dany locking up the dragons are good points to stop the season on. There's plenty to speculate. Where does Tyrion go from here? What will Tywin's death mean to the realm & the Lannisters? Stannis arrives at the wall, what will he do next? Arya will become a Faceless Man like Syrio & Jaqen! OMG AWESOME! How will the dragons being locked up affect Dany's rule?

It'd be a pretty good season finale even without Stoneheart, though I agree that Stoneheart would really bump up the hype for the next season.

With D&D Saying S4E10 is the best finale they've done yet and they feel nervous about one upping it, I would definitely expect Lady Stoneheart to be introduced. Many of the character's have major moments coming next episode (With the largest being the death of Tywin), but that on top of Lady Stoneheart would be a fucking mind blowing finale that will have everyone looking forward to next season and will get people's blood going that finally, things are going in the "good guys'" favor.

Iksenpets

Banned
I wouldn't mind the Stoneheart reveal being moved to S5. I just don't want them to cut it altogether.
They haven't shown Coldhands, the Nightfort door, the proper House of the Undying and Jon warging. I know that those might not be needed for the story so far, but I think D&D want to tone down the supernatural elements of the books on the show, and that sucks.

There's a difference between Stoneheart and all those other things though. She's not just a cool visual with magic, she's an entire storyline. Unless they're just going to cut all future plot in the Riverlands, or come up with some reason why Beric is now leading the Brotherhood in a radical anti-Frey direction, she seems kind of necessary.

Loke13

The difference here being they already introduced Beric Dondarrion, BWB and Thoros as well as his resurrection powers which is pretty integral for Stoneheart's resurrection.

jett

D-Member
It would be a mistake to not have Stoneheart be the cliffhanger of the season. Seems there's a chance they are actually making that mistake. There really is too much shit going on in the finale.

There's a difference between Stoneheart and all those other things though. She's not just a cool visual with magic, she's an entire storyline. Unless they're just going to cut all future plot in the Riverlands, or come up with some reason why Beric is now leading the Brotherhood in a radical anti-Frey direction, she seems kind of necessary.

The difference here being they already introduced Beric Dondarrion, BWB and Thoros as well as his resurrection powers which is pretty integral for Stoneheart's resurrection.

Well, yeah, you're right. But there's no guarantee that they will keep that storyline on the show.

Showaddy

The only reason I can think of that they might leave SH until next season is if they think they're running low on big TV moments with the Feast/Dance material. If nothing else I'd like them to give Storm of Swords the send off it deserves though and the epilogue could be condensed into a sub-5 minute scene pretty easily.

bengraven

Stoneheart would be fine for Season 5 episode 1 I think. End it with that as Brienne starts getting closer to her. There isn't much else to end Episode 1 on in Feast and Dance...except the kids' bones, but that's being done this season.

Considering how the recap doesn't even bring up the Brotherhood or Thoros or Beric, yet they have no problem spoiling Stannis, I'm starting to think Stoneheart is not there.

Stoneheart just works so well at the end of ASoS because its out of left field more or less and its a fantastic "OH SHIT!" sort of moment to end the book and it would work exactly the same way to end the TV season. Her introduction feels like its a game changing moment, not unlike Dany's dragons being born or seeing all the Wights and Others gathering at the Fist of the First Men to end season 2.

Moving Stoneheart to just some random episode in season 5 greatly diminishes her impact, IMO. Her appearance is a great season ending cliffhanger for people to chew on in the off season, not so much if its just amongst the course of another 10 episode season.

I think Stoneheart is in this season though I hate that she is a thing. It's better when death is final.

Then again, the very first chapter of the first book has zombies in it. So its not exactly unheard of.

With the various "Zombie" type characters, it feels like it's building towards something involving them.

Exactly. I have no clue where GRRM is going but zombies are there right from the onset of the series. Its just that in addition to Ice Zombies, you've got Fire Zombies with Stoneheart and Science Zombies with Robert Strong (unless Qyburn is invoking R'hllor or something).

Chris R

People keep saying that next season is going to be lacking? How so? I mean granted I don't think they will get the big battles in, but there are still plenty of things to show.

People keep saying that next season is going to be lacking? How so? I mean granted I don't think they will get the big battles in, but there are still plenty of things to show.
Because most people hate affc and large parts of adwd.

Most people of course means wrong people. At least with respect to affc.

Ogimachi

Spoiling Stannis in the recap was so stupid.
It does make sense to postpone LSH, though. They probably want something shocking for early S05, and the first chapters of Feast and Dance are lacking in that regard.

80/20 the lady of stone is in imo

New thread will be up in a couple of hours, maybe less depending on when I leave the office. I'll link it here of course.

Famassu

Stoneheart would be fine for Season 5 episode 1 I think. End it with that as Brienne starts getting closer to her. There isn't much else to end Episode 1 on in Feast and Dance...except the kids' bones, but that's being done this season.
Jon being chosen as Lord Commander might be pushed to Season 5. I'd say it definitely is if the episode wasn't 66 minutes long, but with it being that long, I guess they could somehow cram it in there somewhere (though that would mean there'd be absolutely no build-up to it, it just happens). That would be a pretty big moment. End the season in a high note with Stannis driving the wildlings away and celebration ensues. Then begin Season 5 with Jon being given the new role of being the Lord Commander by the end of the episode with some build-up and play that out through the season.

I guess they could also kill Balon Greyjoy, finally, kickstarting the rest of the Ironborn storyline.

Fey

Banned
The final track off the soundtrack sounds like an appropriate song for Stoneheart to be revealed to. Starts off kind of mysterious, and then builds up dramatically before moving right into what sounds like the credits music. Short and quick, which is what the Stoneheart reveal needs to be, really. All they really have to do is show that she's back.

Szeth

The final track off the soundtrack sounds like an appropriate song for Stoneheart to be revealed to. Starts off kind of mysterious, and then builds up dramatically before moving right into what sounds like the credits music. Short and quick, which is what the Stoneheart reveal needs to be, really. All they really have to do is show that she's back.

Just listening to it and I disagree completely. Man, this really feels like last year with people wanting it so much that they're trying to cram it into the final song when it doesn't fit at all.

I want so badly to be wrong on this, but fuck. Why D&D, why would you do this!?

Fey

Banned
Just listening to it and I disagree completely. Man, this really feels like last year with people wanting it so much that they're trying to cram it into the final song when it doesn't fit at all.

I want so badly to be wrong on this, but fuck. Why D&D, why would you do this!?

lol honestly, it might just be me being so desperate to see it. :p I'm being very
lalala.gif
@ the idea that she might not show up this episode.

But I do think this track makes much much more sense than Mhysa did (and I never once believed they'd show SH last season). It's very obviously for the final scene before the credits, and there's only ~30 seconds before the "credits" portion of the track begins, meaning it could be for a very, very short scene, which the SH reveal would/could be.

Chris R

The LSH scene could easily be done in 30 seconds. One line from the Frey saying Lord Frey will pay whatever ransom you want, one line from the BWB saying LSH isn't looking for gold, pan to LSH and kill the Frey.

Lautaro

The LSH scene could easily be done in 30 seconds. One line from the Frey saying Lord Frey will pay whatever ransom you want, one line from the BWB saying LSH isn't looking for gold, pan to LSH and kill the Frey.

I rather have a proper reveal instead of a rushed one.

rataven

Started a rewatch of the season and forgot the very first scene was the melting of Ice. I remember watching a making of video and D&D waxing rather poetic on the symbolism behind why they choose that as the first scene of the season.

How appropriate would Cat's return at the end be to counter that symbolism? It's almost too easy.

Lothar

Banned
Is there a right way to warn the other thread not to watch the recap before the episode? You can piece together the whole episode just from the stupid recap this time. It's not just Stannis. They also show Jaqen H'quar giving her the coin which makes it 100% clear she'll use it this episode. It shows Arya/Hound and Brienne/Pod both heading towards the same place.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Interview with Liam Cunningham and Carice van Houten by Westeros.org.

For those interested, a choice quote of Liam's could point to some sort of answer on the Stoneheart issue:

He's mentioning that in the context that right now, they're all one big family, but eventually, dead characters (and eventually the whole cast) will have to move on.
Do you think it’s risky to lose so many popular characters and actors, when characters are killed so often?
Liam: No, I don’t think it is. The show is as good as it is in part because it’s not the usual way of doing things. At the end of season 1, when Ned Stark gets it in the neck, it’s a gamechanger for everyone. I know when I saw it, I read the reactions and people were shocked. And then the first shot we see of Ned in the following episode is Sean’s head on a stick. I think as an audience, we look at that and we understand that this is not the drama that we’re used to, that it’s fucked up and going somewhere else. It’s like a banner, letting people know we weren’t going to do things the usual way. That’s what makes it interesting. People have a real connection to the show as something they’d never seen before. Just look at the Youtube reactions to the Red Wedding.
Carice: It’s 2 Girls, 1 Cup taken to the next level.
Liam: ... I don’t know what you’re referring to!
Hahahahaha.

Don

Before the season started I was looking forward to having the Stoneheart reveal in the finale but now that we are here I wouldn't mind if they waited until next season as long as they have a better build up to it.

If they wait until next season then maybe they can can sprinkle a few lines of dialogue throughout the series with characters discussing the whereabouts of the brotherhood without banners and rumours of their new leader, building up to Stoneheart's identity being revealed in season 5 finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom