• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros (Wii) Hype Thread of 2D/4-Player COOP Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigg

theluma said:
The graphics and music were also awesome and it controlled beautifully. I can't see how you could deny any of that (except for the music which I admit is purely subjective).

I personally really dug the way the enemies danced to the 1-1 theme.

I had actually been playing NSMB through again this year before a few other games arrived and interrupted me again. It really is a pretty great game in a lot of ways.

If NSMBW were actually a slavish imitation of it—which it isn't—then more power to it, I say.

theluma said:
This is just nonsense.... The only thing that was wrong with NSMB was that it was a bit on the easy side. Apart from that, the level design was great and introduced a ton of new elements, only ever seen before in the 2d Mario games. The graphics and music were also awesome and it controlled beautifully. I can't see how you could deny any of that (except for the music which I admit is purely subjective).
It's not that hard to understand. Literally every single element you just mentioned has been better represented in multiple Mario games, usually in combination. NSMB is a competent platformer, but as far as Mario goes it was vanilla, and I'm not talking about the dome variety. Everything about it is passable, but nothing is exceptional.

edit: Except polish. It has all the production values I've come to expect from a 1st party Nintendo product. That almost goes without saying though.

Cheebs

Isn't NSMBW more like SMW in the same way NSMB was like the original SMB?

The yoshi's, the koopa kids, the ability to twirl...etc are all SMWish. I don't get the NSMB but with new levels complaint at all, because it doesn't look like that.

eXistor

I've been somewhat replaying NSMB these last few days. I always liked the game, but felt something was missing. Now that some time has passed since I first played it I can say I was wrong: the game is really very good. It's a great combination of what made SMB1 and 3 so great. It feels like a marriage between those two. Also I must say the graphics are really good, I dont really care for the pre-rendered looking enemies (like in Donkey Kong Country...ew), but the backgrounds are very pleasant and clean looking. It's a much better game than I remember it being at launch.

My hype has just gone up a bit for this game, even though I probably won't be playing it in mp.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ahh, so I thought this was pushed to the top again because of new info. Booooo.

Still looking forward to it. The anticipation for some hot 2D platforming action is building. I should get my whole family to play this at Christmas actually!

jett

D-Member
rezuth said:
The fuck you on about? How is this uninspired?

Yeah you're right. NSMB is the pinnacle of creative art design, other games should aspire to reach such heights.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
GrotesqueBeauty said:
After a decade plus hiatus there was nothing particularly noteworthy about the level design at any point in the game, which is a sin considering the pedigree of the series. NSMB also suffered from the all too common curse of sluggish 2.5 controls compared to its snappier 2D brethren (although I liked the incorporation of moves from the 3D titles... even if Mario vs. DK did it first).

What's funny is that all your complaints are far more valid for Mario vs. Donkey Kong, which was a sluggish 2.5D sequel to Donkey Kong on the Game Boy (1994)... a game which featured 3D Mario moves before the first 3D Mario.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
1-137e2251-6e75-48de-a160-64ee7004c897-l.jpg
1-6ae4615f-9d2e-4e51-bb02-9f3456fb48f9-l.jpg
1-6a576fc3-127b-4d84-bc4b-2ba340999185-l.jpg
1-18948875-f086-4bdd-8fba-e9acfa70eca5-l.jpg

4 exclusive controllers will be launched for NSMB, following the colors of the characters. It seems these pads will act as wiimotes (without needing to be plugged in wiimotes or use a GC port) and could include accelerometers (no confirmation of this yet, just speculation).

I predicted an outstanding push from Nintendo for this game, and it seems I even underestimated their plan. They will have controllers on the shelves promoting the game.

marc^o^ said:
1-137e2251-6e75-48de-a160-64ee7004c897-l.jpg
1-6ae4615f-9d2e-4e51-bb02-9f3456fb48f9-l.jpg
1-6a576fc3-127b-4d84-bc4b-2ba340999185-l.jpg
1-18948875-f086-4bdd-8fba-e9acfa70eca5-l.jpg

4 exclusive controllers will be launched for NSMB, following the colors of the characters. It seems these pads will act as wiimotes (without needing to be plugged in wiimotes or use a GC port) and could include accelerometers (no confirmation of this yet, just speculation).

I predicted an outstanding push from Nintendo for this game, and it seems I even underestimated their plan. They will have controllers on the shelves promoting the game.

Will there be a bundle :0

Holy shit, those are -- actually kind of awesome. So I suppose they have an IR pointer as well?

Oops, I misread that, I thought they were confirmed to include accellerometers. But then again, I don't really see them working with the game otherwise.

marc^o^

magicalsoundshower said:
Holy shit, those are -- actually kind of awesome. So I suppose they have an IR pointer as well?
They have a power button as we can see. A pointer is not really needed as you can navigate on wii's interface without (and the game doesn't need it).

OMG!! I hope These bundles will be released where i live D:
I want two of these (red and green)! :O~

Jackano said:
Nice. What's the thing to the right of the 1 and 2 buttons?
I think they function as the squares that identify the No. of the players in the Wiimote.

EDIT: do they work with other games? (VC?)

marc^o^ said:
They have a power button as we can see. A pointer is not really needed as you can navigate on wii's interface without (and the game doesn't need it).
Wasn't there a video of a level set on a raft that was pitch black with the Wiimote acting like a flashlight? Provided that Nintendo didn't get rid of that level I don't really see those "pad remotes" working with the game without an IR pointer.

marc^o^

magicalsoundshower said:
Wasn't there a video of a level set on a raft that was pitch black with the Wiimote acting like a flashlight? Provided that Nintendo didn't get rid of that level I don't really see those "pad remotes" working with the game without an IR pointer.
It'd be cool if it had an IR pointer. These pads are kinda inexpensive ($12.99), so it's still hard to tell.

marc^o^

DNF said:
aren't these just covers where you stick in the wii-motes ?
if they are real controllers then wow
Wow, it just clicked you are 100% right. I wondered what the small white corner was. It is just a cover for the wiimote indeed!

Ah, I get it. Still, they seem like more elaborate covers that the ones I've seen so far given that they actually come with sort-of-new buttons so they're still kind of cool I guess.

My guess is that those pads contain innards that transmit your presses of the "new" buttons to the corresponding buttons on the Wiimote, shouldn't be too hard to do, I think.
\/\/\/

marc^o^ said:
Wow, it just clicked you are 100% right. I wondered what the small white corner was. It is just a cover for the wiimote indeed!
I don't understand how the 1 and 2 buttons are supposed to line up if that's the case. Couldn't the "corner" just be the B trigger? Although that would be pretty awkward placement as well. Also, what is the source for the images and information?

If they are just covers, they must be quite chunky then... even if they are its still nice and quite clever the way it has the effect of making the A button smaller and placing the 1 and 2 buttons on a more ergonomic / SNES-style angle.

edit: the white bit could just be where you hook up a strap though.

JonnyBrad

Don't like the alignment of the 1 and 2 buttons, i always played mario games on the SNES with Y and B and prefered it that way.

marc^o^

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I don't understand how the 1 and 2 buttons are supposed to line up if that's the case. Couldn't the "corner" just be the B trigger? Also, what is the source for the images and information?
Pictures come from gamestop. It is a cover, there's no doubt about it (1 and 2 buttons are the only buttons that don't fit to their place on the wiimote, but they can easily apply a pressure on these, whatever their place).

I can't see those being a separate wireless pad with gyros and shit in it, that has to be a plastic shell, the slanted buttons will still work depending on how they make the underside attach to the pad.

R0nn

AniHawk said:
Apparently this was at the show floor at GAMESCON. Anyone from EuroGAF get to play this port?

Reporting!

I played the game with a mate of mine and two random Germans, and we had an absolute blast. Great, great fun! The thin line between rivalry and cooperation while traversing the levels is really good. You better try and keep up though, because otherwise you'll fall off the screen in no time. :lol

We played a couple of levels, and it was all classic Mario fare with some fairly challenging bits. The propellor suit was really weird though. Couldn't really figure out how it worked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
They are just Wii Remote shells that's why the little A button near the D-Pad

Why would Nintendo let a third party manufacturer sell hardware that belongs to/promotes one of their own games, though? It strikes me as kind of strange or maybe Nintendo are really that open now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
magicalsoundshower said:
Why would Nintendo let a third party manufacturer sell hardware that belongs to/promotes one of their own games, though? It strikes me as kind of strange or maybe Nintendo are really that open now.

Maybe it's licenced?

And yeah tilt your Wii Remote on the side and look how its lining up perfect - they've even got a little window for the Player Lights.

marc^o^ said:
I thought it was. My bad, shouldn't have.
Well that was some short lived hype. :( Oh well.
magicalsoundshower said:
Here's the company's website. It looks like they do a lot of licensed peripherals:

http://www.pdp.com/

zigg

Yeah, I'm a longstanding fan of the B/A arrangement where A is slightly higher (think Game Boy), but the layout of the buttons on these is just revolting-looking. (Though I can see why they're like that given the photoshop above)

They're really ass-ugly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom