• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lidge is a headcase.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Matrix said:
Lidge is a headcase.

Astros are now sellers, not buyers in this market. I can't blame the pitching for this season. The Astros have been terrible in all facets of the game this season at times. The bullpen just completely imploded today. If ANY other team wants Lidge, then we should do the deal. He is totally unpredictable now.

edit-Huff can take his goofy ass to another team as well. He is slumping again like he was at the beginning of the season. We have enough people on this team that can't hit.

Mashing

And Muson is robbed on a game tying hit... goddamn we were fated to lose this game when you hit a ball like he did and it STILL caught by ****ing Byrnes no less.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Man I wish I'd been watching the Twins game instead of playing NCAA...

Twins eighth: Dm.Young in as designated hitter. Morneau infield single to second. On error by shortstop C.Guillen, Morneau to second. Kubel pinch-hitting for Rabe. Kubel safe at first on fielding error by first baseman Shelton, Morneau scored. Redmond doubled to left, Kubel scored. Tyner singled to right, Redmond to third. Bartlett infield single to third, Tyner to second. On balk by Bonderman, Redmond scored, Tyner to third, Bartlett to second. L.Castillo grounded out, shortstop C.Guillen to first baseman Shelton, Tyner scored. Punto flied out to left fielder B.Clevlen. Mauer was intentionally walked. Cuddyer tripled to right, Bartlett scored, Mauer scored. J.Walker pitching. Morneau struck out.
Runs: 6, Hits: 5, Errors: 2

What the ****!?

Mrbob

Ahahahaha, White Sox blow the game in the bottom of the 9th today, and the Cubs SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP the Cards 4 games straight at Wrigley! What a wonderful day! :D Won 6 out of 7 against the two best NL teams, PLAYOFF PUSH?!?!

You better watch out ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSstros, because the Cubs are catching up! The battle for 4th place in the NL Central IS ON BITCHES.

All I know is that my brother picked one hell of a weekend to get married. I only saw about 4 innings the entire series and I am so glad for that.

Some how the Braves managed to go 14-10 in July with a starter's ERA of 6.30. Somehow they're still only 6.5 games out of the WC.

I still think they can win the WC, but the starting pitching really needs to step up right now. They got a 4 game series against the Reds this weekend.

As for Tim Hudson - I played ball with with him at Auburn. He has never, ever been a big game pitcher in his career - from the College World Series with Auburn to the ALDS with the A's to now with the Braves. IMO, priority number one this offseason should be to move his contract. It starts getting really ugly next year and the Braves can no longer afford to have albatrosses like that on the payroll (I believe he's due ~$32 million 07-09).

As for the Mets fans here - enjoy it while you can. All things are not as rosey as they appear. That starting pitching is a serious, serious issue.

_Angelus_

Banned
The Frankman said:

roll.gif

Man your timing was spot on Frankman.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Our offense has really dissapeared. It is clear now that Rios wasn't ready to come back quite yet, his timing is off. He probably needed a few more rehab starts.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Mrbob said:
Ahahahaha, White Sox blow the game in the bottom of the 9th today, and the Cubs SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP the Cards 4 games straight at Wrigley! What a wonderful day! :D Won 6 out of 7 against the two best NL teams, PLAYOFF PUSH?!?!

You better watch out ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSstros, because the Cubs are catching up! The battle for 4th place in the NL Central IS ON BITCHES.

Yuo'll be lucky if the Cubs make it out of last place. THEY SUCK get it thru your head already.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
siamesedreamer said:
As for the Mets fans here - enjoy it while you can. All things are not as rosey as they appear. That starting pitching is a serious, serious issue.

Meh you might be right there, I was hoping Mets could land Zito but it looks like it's not going to happen.

Mrbob

Qwerty710710 said:
Yuo'll be lucky if the Cubs make it out of last place. THEY SUCK get it thru your head already.

Cubs are already out of last place. Don't get mad at me because we gave your sorry excuse for a first place team the beating they deserved!

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Mrbob said:
Cubs are already out of last place. Don't get mad at me because we gave your sorry excuse for a first place team the beating they deserved!

:lol :lol :lol Beating what beating all of the games were close. Now the real beating was the 11 run inning 3 weeks ago.

Qwerty710710 said:
Meh you might be right there, I was hoping Mets could land Zito but it looks like it's not going to happen.

The A's are in first place in a tight division. Why would they trade Zito for someone like Lastings Milledge?

The only way they get him is if they outbid the Yanks or Red Sox this offseason and add another ugly contract to their payroll.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Only 1 man can save us now:

chacin.jpg

Chaciiiiiiiinnnn

Score a god damn run, just 1 and I will be happy, come on damn it.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Awwww shit I heard Mets want to get Livan Hernadez I don't want that guy to come within 50 miles away from the Mets. He's old and washed out, I don't what Omar sees in him I hope he reconsiders.

"Behind us lay Atlanta, smouldering and in ruins, the black smoke rising high in air, and hanging like a pall over the ruined city."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

"Our goal coming in was to end their season, to show them we're the better team, bury them." - Paul LoDuca,

New_york_mets_logo175.jpg

Behold the Mets, the team of Teams . . .
On your knees dog! . . . All hail!

Bow down to the, bow down to the King!!!

The Mets grinned red as they walked from the blaze,
Where the Braves lost both the division and face,
Through the halls and the corridors stinging in blood,
He tasted his grin and it tasted good.
Beltran took their head . . . Left them broken and dead . . .

The Mets left none living, none able to tell,
The Mets took their heads and then sent them to hell,
The contenders' screams echoed in the place of their death,
Ripped open they died, with their final breath . . .
They hailed the Team, the Team of Teams!!!

Into the majors, their will be done.
Now feel your fear, there can be only one.

Bow down, bow down, bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down, bow down, bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down to the...
Bow down to the, bow down to the King.
Bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down, bow down.

The Mets are here, now feel your fear!
The King of Kings!!!

All hail, all hail The King!!!
On your knees, on your knees for the King!!!

The King of Teams, there is only one . . .

_Angelus_

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
The A's are in first place in a tight division. Why would they trade Zito for someone like Lastings Milledge?

The only way they get him is if they outbid the Yanks or Red Sox this offseason and add another ugly contract to their payroll.

So we'll jump in and do our best and throw in a bid for him in the off season. I'd like more pitching but at the expense of good young talent like Milledge while we have to contend with Scot Boras putting a gun to our heads by marketing Zito to the whole league in the off season,screw that. No-this year we'll just continue to blaze on and take our chances with what we have.

Were doing allright for the future though.

The pitching will only get better. Pelfrey,Humber,Maine,Owens,we can always go out and make a nice trade next season anyways. we have some solid pitching for the next few years is ok by me. It very much looks like the organization doesn't rush into boneheaded trades nowdays. It very much looks likes the Kazmir shit taught them a lesson.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I love you Eric Hinske, in a totally heterosexual way.

1 more run come on.

Damn it, oh well there is still the 9th.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
****! Both Street and Jenks blew their saves today. ****ing BULLSHIT. Everytime I get into first my pitching ****ing stinks! Hello second place.

_Angelus_

Banned
Mets and Braves payroll doesn't differ much,something like 8-10 million.
You guys are stuck with Mike Hampton and Hudson contracts that have been busts this year,don't complain about money when you invested badly.

The Braves were owned by Turner,I heard no complaints about money spending in those days. Aren't they presently owned by a huge corporation thats trying to sell them off after refusing to invest more money on players? Blame your owners,not the Mets.

If anything our payroll went down from last year,almost 20 million while improving the club for the better. Thats not over spending,just good decision making.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=nym

MLB TEAM PAYROLL (US$)
1. NY Yankees 198,662,180
2. Boston 120,100,524
3. LA Angels 103,625,333
4. Chicago Sox 102,875,667
5. NY Mets 100,901,085
6. LA Dodgers 99,176,950
7. Chicago Cubs 94,841,166
8. Atlanta 92,461,852
9. Houston 92,101,503
10. San Francisco 90,862,064
11. Seattle 87,924,500
12. Philadelphia 87,148,333
13. St. Louis 86,912,217
14. Detroit 82,302,069
15. Baltimore 72,585,712
16. Toronto 71,915,000
17. San Diego 68,897,179
18. Texas 65,129,570
19. Minnesota 63,810,048
20. Washington 63,267,500
21. Oakland 62,322,054
22. Cincinnati 59,162,015
23. Arizona 58,884,226
24. Cleveland 56,795,867
25. Milwaukee 50,540,000
26. Kansas City 47,294,000
27. Pittsburgh 46,867,750
28. Colorado 40,791,000
29. Tampa Bay 35,417,967
30. Florida 14,344,500

Angelus said:
So we'll jump in and do our best and throw in a bid for him in the off season. I'd like more pitching but at the expense of good young talent like Milledge while we have to contend with Scot Boras putting a gun to our heads by marketing Zito to the whole league in the off season,screw that. No-this year we'll just continue to blaze on and take our chances with what we have.

I agree.........the only guy out there right now that I would trade anyone for is Zito. But, like you said, he's a FA and Boras is gonna peddle him off to the highest bidder. I do think y'all will have the upperhand in getting him though since he'll be able to reunite with Peterson.

It just goes to show how weak the NL is this year. Pedro has a 6.00+ ERA in June and sits out three weeks after that on the DL. Glavine hasn't won a game since June 23rd. El Duque and two rookies are asked to fill in the gaps and y'all still are plugging along with the best record.

Still, the playoffs with even things out. Without Pedro and Glavine, the Mets ain't got nothing that strikes any fear into the opposition in a short series.

Angelus said:
Mets and Braves payroll doesn't differ much,something like 8-10 million.

I and many other Braves fans have tried to explain this many times this season. The difference is around $22 million. All the sites like ESPN and CBS Sportsline are wrong. I believe Baseball Prospectus or some other independant site comes out with the true payroll numbers a week or so after the trading deadline every year.

Kuroyume

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
I and many other Braves fans have tried to explain this many times this season. The difference is around $22 million. All the sites like ESPN and CBS Sportsline are wrong. I believe Baseball Prospectus or some other independant site comes out with the true payroll numbers a week or so after the trading deadline every year.

Yeah yeah... sure... :lol

rc213

DODGERS WITH A WIN! 3 In a row! J.D. Blew and Ethier with back to back HR's. Nomar went on the D.L. though, but that gives Loney another chance at showing his stuff in the majors. Would like to see Repko start more games at Center Field over Lofton because he's better defensively.

_Angelus_

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
I agree.........the only guy out there right now that I would trade anyone for is Zito. But, like you said, he's a FA and Boras is gonna peddle him off to the highest bidder. I do think y'all will have the upperhand in getting him though since he'll be able to reunite with Peterson.

It just goes to show how weak the NL is this year. Pedro has a 6.00+ ERA in June and sits out three weeks after that on the DL. Glavine hasn't won a game since June 23rd. El Duque and two rookies are asked to fill in the gaps and y'all still are plugging along with the best record.

Still, the playoffs with even things out. Without Pedro and Glavine, the Mets ain't got nothing that strikes any fear into the opposition in a short series.

Well thats why the Mets need to rest their pitching,having a 14 game lead gives them the comfort to do that so its not so bad. But yeah the pitching would have been boosted greatly had they somehow been able to land Zito and sign him to an extension right away,but it wasn't meant to be,you gotta move on. In all honesty though,I like that theyre relying on their younf pitchers of late. Giving Maine and Pelfrey shots right now will only make them stronger should they hold their own for the rest of the season. But yeahi realize were gonna have to put up heavy runs in the post season,but we do have a pretty good bullpen,and we tend to have some magic in 1 run games. Overall its a case of how bad do you want to shoot for the moon right now. Give up a ton of prospects and deal with Boras's bullshit tactics,or save the Milledges and Pelfreys for the future. Like I said,I like the new thinking that the Mets have,it looks like they aren't going to do the usual Kris benson and Victor Zombrano trades like they have been known to do. If they can't land a quality pitcher without dealing with their agents then just leave well enough alone and stay with what you have.

Fifty

R_GILL said:

Got any cyanide?

Ok it could be worse....no, it couldn't....but let's look at shitty closers today:

Fausto Carmona (non save situation) Indians---gave up 4 runs to the Mariners in the top of the 9th

Armando Benitez - Blown save in the 9th

Bobby Jenks - Blown save

Derrick Turnbow - Blown save

Brad Lidge - stunk

I think that's all, but today was a ridiculous day for closers. .....After doing this, yes....the HR still hurts as much. Jesus....what a winnable game...What a blown chance....

_Angelus_

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

Well thats up for debate but ok lets say youre right. How is it that the Braves are owned by an organization that clearly has the money to invest more money into the team? It's simply wrong when shit like that goes on. I'm not saying its fair for you guys but at the same time the Mets aren't the enemy when it comes to how much your ownership decides to spend on your team,thats all.:)

Meier

****ing Astros.. poor Roger. There's no way he shouldnt have gotten a win out of that game. HUGE sweep for the Dodgers.. let's see how long this streak can last. Ethier is a mother****in' PIMP -- but I want Kemp back in the majors asap. Ethier, Kemp and Repko is a solid OF (although Kenny Lofton has been playing well and deserves to be in the lineup too).

JD Drew needs to keep hitting too.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Fifty said:
Got any cyanide?

Ok it could be worse....no, it couldn't....but let's look at shitty closers today:

Fausto Carmona (non save situation) Indians---gave up 4 runs to the Mariners in the top of the 9th

Armando Benitez - Blown save in the 9th

Bobby Jenks - Blown save

Derrick Turnbow - Blown save

Brad Lidge - stunk

I think that's all, but today was a ridiculous day for closers. .....After doing this, yes....the HR still hurts as much. Jesus....what a winnable game...What a blown chance....

Only way I am going to feel better today is if Papelbon blows a save.

_Angelus_

Banned
One wonders what public enemy number 1 would be like if he were pitching for the Mets.
Clemens would have been a great fit,but with no love lost between both sides it was all just too much to contend with.

Angelus said:
Well thats up for debate but ok lets say youre right.

Its not up for debate........ESPN has three mistakes that I know of:

Renteria - ESPN says $10 million when in reality its $6 million (Boston sent $12 million with Renteria in the deal)

Smoltz - he restructured so that his option was picked up next year and his salary is $8 million (not $11 million)

Hampton - this one is complicated and involves two other teams paying part of his salary.....all that matters though is that when he was acquired the Braves were on the hook for only $43 million of his contract. They did a deal with him (that was pretty publicized) and divided that by the 6 years remaining on the contract and paid him $8 million per year.

So, that's an extra ~$13 million that ESPN figures in without the Braves actually being on the hook for it. That means the Braves are actually around ~$79 million.

ESPN has the total values of the contracts figured as how they looked on the day they were signed. They don't take into account any other wrangling that have been done since. Like I said, one of the other independant sites comes out with a true tally shortly after the trade deadline.

Angelus said:
How is it that the Braves are owned by an organization that clearly has the money to invest more money into the team? It's simply wrong when shit like that goes on. I'm not saying its fair for you guys but at the same time the Mets aren't the enemy when it comes to how much your ownership decides to spend on your team,thats all.:)

one word: Selig

He's been great for the game in some respects, but corporate ownership has blossomed under his reign and IMO its a horrible stain on the game.

Not only is Time Warner directing the cost cutting measures on the Braves, but the are also subsidizing the Mets new TV network. Its a gross conflict of interest in which Selig is directly involved.

The Nationals had nine different ownership groups vetted for four years before Selig finally decided on the right one. But, at the same time, he's going to allow Time Warner to sell the Braves to a Denver based company called Liberty Media in a stock swap with Time Warner - all the while Arthur Blank has been on his knees begging to buy the Braves for the past six months. Its absolutely disgusting and there's not a damn thing any Braves fan can do about it. Just thank your lucky stars the Wilpons still own the Mets.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Wellington said:
Mariano got his save. But that's cause he is money. :D

Coming into today Jenks was the most consistant closer in the AL, as he had the highest save percentage.

Ronnie Belliard was traded to the Cards for Luna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom