• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP - Dewy's Adventure Review

ivysaur12

Banned
Armitage said:
So much hate? People were hyping it up to be something amazing. I never thought it really looked that good.

It's not amazing, but it's a fun little game, nothing more, nothing less.

rakka

fresquito said:
That's got an easy answer: all Wii haters like to crunch every Wii game that shows some promise but in the end is not amazing. Just like this game.

because we're all wii haters.

legend166

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the score of the game. It probably is an average game, sadly. The team seems to have fantastic artists and great programmings, but just stumble when it comes to implementing the game mechanics. They sound like a team that would really prosper under Nintendo, but now I'm just wishing.

I am, however, complaining about the lack of any decent amount of content in the review that completely ignores a lot of the features of the game that the readers might be interested about. User generated content and such is a big thing these days, and the level editor doesn't even get a mention? It might suck for all I know, but they could have atleast told me that.

.dmc

Banned
legend166 said:
I am, however, complaining about the lack of any decent amount of content in the review that completely ignores a lot of the features of the game that the readers might be interested about. User generated content and such is a big thing these days, and the level editor doesn't even get a mention? It might suck for all I know, but they could have atleast told me that.

If those features don't redeem the game then why spend time talking about it? The length of the review seems to reflect the importance of the game.

legend166

because they're integral parts of the game, perhaps?

That logic makes no sense.

Edit: Ok, let's say that was the case, how hard is it to tell me that. It would take a sentence. But the way it stands, I have no clue whether the features are inconsequential or not.

fresquito

ethelred said:
I guess it's easy to dismiss any dissenting opinion when you lump all who hold such into the "lol Wii hater" category.
Heh, it's not like that. Problem is, when a game like this hits, some users seem to feel confortable in going into a topic and thrashing the game. I wonder why anyone would pay atention to a game if he's not interested on it. It's like they need to tell you "hahaha, there it goes your big exclusive, hahaha". And you know, that's not a dissenting opinion, but a lame trolling habit some members seem to have.

HylianTom

Banned
legend166 said:
Well, the better solution would be to hire someone who actually has an interest in these games.

Naaah.. that would make too much sense. I think it would be a fiscally wiser decision for 1Up/Ziff-Davis to continue ignoring/alienating next-gen's largest userbase. /s

1UpSign.gif

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
crazyscreenwriter said:
Wasn't there someone in a Wii thread a while back that said Dewy would outsell HALO 3?

It was me probably. I still stand by those words too. I am looking at Dewy's potential longterm. Permaban if Dewy hasn't outsold Halo 3 by the year 2022.

Ikael

I played it at the E3. It was a very bland game, with little inspiration in level design. Not too surprised at the score it got.

Haunted

AlternativeUlster said:
It was me probably. I still stand by those words too. I am looking at Dewy's potential longterm. Permaban if Dewy hasn't outsold Halo 3 by the year 2022.
:lol <3

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
hamzik said:
Spoilertags on a score should get you banned! Or at least someone should hit you with a stick.

But its supposed to add suspense. Its like opening a door and finding another door to open. Like you are "Aw shit, I am fucking freaked right now but there is something on the other side of the door" so you creep the door open slowly only to discover another door that makes you gasp just a little bit more.

It takes a second to highlight over a spoiler tag, everyone stop being internet pussies.

kizmah

AlternativeUlster said:
"Aw shit, I am fucking freaked right now but there is something on the other side of the door"

It should be a stick and it should be heading for your face if you have spoilertagged the score.

Lobster

Banned
Reading the thread and complaints..This is why IGN reviews are so great, they have platform specific reviewers and they also have the second opinion. IGN receives a lot of slack from GAF but I find that its the only website that functions well when it comes to reviewing games.

LukeSmith

HylianTom said:
Naaah.. that would make too much sense. I think it would be a fiscally wiser decision for 1Up/Ziff-Davis to continue ignoring/alienating next-gen's largest userbase. /s

Wait a second, I thought the Wii was expanding the Market and selling to alpha moms? I don't think alpha moms are driving traffic to enthusiast websites. Now if the Wii is just selling to the hardcore, then your point is valid, but Nintendo's market-broadening efforts and success aren't exactly catered to by the enthusiast press. Some website or start-up should absolutely try and capitalize on that expansion.

See, even if Ziff was alienating/ignoring the Wii's userbase (and their not), but the Wii's market-fresh expanded userbase doesn't know they [1up] exist, it doesn't matter and your attempted point becomes fanboy nonsense.

The game is fun. Has a nice, arcadey feel to the action, interesting boss and level design. Not a classic (I preferred Elebits), but a good diversion if you have a few minutes to kill. I will probably be playing this for a very long time, but in a piece-meal fashion.

Threi

notag
for the record this game is the Wii's lair.

- Hyped by crazies because it would show the technical prowess of the system
- Never showed any promising gameplay
- Annoying tilt controls, compared to other games on the system

dionysus

Yaldog
It is standard practice to tailor the length of the review to the amount of hype the game has among one's audience. If you complain about dewey getting a short review, you might as well complain about 2/3rds of all reviews.

HylianTom said:

1UpSign.gif

Wouldn't a true hardcore gamer be platform agnostic?

Hmm, ok review scores dont matter blah blah blah your own opinion blah blah, but I can't say I am surprised or anything..

Zack&Wiki, you are next? :(

nerbo

A 3rd party Wii game is junk?

*shock*

*surprise*

C'mon people... There is no hope for a decent 3rd party Wii game until 2008. Developers are still just starting to really put budget into Wii development this year and anything decent is going to take more than 9 months to develop.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Wouldn't a true hardcore gamer be platform agnostic?

you have not been getting with the program lately, have you? don't terms like 'wii waggle', 'your soccer mom', etc, ring a bell to you?

seriously, people, did anybody expect anything else from 1up?

nerbo

blu said:
you have not been getting with the program lately, have you? don't terms like 'wii waggle', 'your soccer mom', etc, ring a bell to you?

seriously, people, did anybody expect anything else from 1up?

Hating 1up doesn't change the fact that a title destined to be a turd is/was defended and hyped. I don't care for 1up anymore than the next person, but please.

Banned
AniHawk said:
Come on guys, if this was a PS2 game, no one would've given it a second glance. It was pretty easy to see this would be an average game. And the same will be true of Oopona.
Did you completley miss the katamari Damacy craze?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
nerbo said:
Hating 1up doesn't change the fact that a title destined to be a turd is/was defended and hyped. I don't care for 1up anymore than the next person, but please.

so i guess you played through it?

Threi

notag
giving Dewey a bit of credit the game did (and still does) have great visuals, both technically and artistically.

Top Bottom