• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Kenzera: Zau - Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Information

Game Title: Tales of Kenzera: Zau

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 23, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 23, 2024)
  • PC (Apr 23, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Apr 23, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Surgent Studios

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 80% recommended
Metacritic - 74 Based on 23 Critic Reviews

x2bm48h.jpeg

6pd7OcT.jpeg

Critic Reviews

Atarita - Eren Eroğlu - Turkish - 80 / 100
With an emotional story, fluid gameplay and beautiful visuals, Tales of Kenzera: ZAU is an adventure that will take you on a journey to faraway lands.

But Why Tho? - Kate Sanchez - 10 / 10
Legends of Kenzera: ZAU is a triumph of storytelling. It's immersive and thoughtful in every element of Zau's journey. But the narrative, for all of its impact, doesn't stand alone. Instead, the difficulty and complexity of traversing Kenzera complement and add a tactile nature to the emotional endeavor of moving through grief.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 80 / 100
Quote not yet available

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 7 / 10
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU doesn’t reinvent the metroidvania genre and if anything, is quite watered-down. However, its emotional story and refreshing African influence deliver a surprising yet short game that I high recommend you all play at least once.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - 7 / 10
Tales of Kenzera: Zau, as a narrative-driven adventure, is a must-play due to its unique lore, world, and memorable characters that keep you engaged until the end. However, as a Metroidvania, it doesn't offer too many innovations but rather more of the already established foundations of the genre, such as moderately challenging platforming, basic combat, and little else in the way of new skills and exploration.

It is a short and sweet indie game that respects your time, and, with a friendly price point, it's definitely a great meditative weekend adventure to get into that gives you some exhilarating 2D action while exploring some aspects of grief and identity that only Tales of Kenzera: Zau can offer in its unique presentation.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100
Quote not yet available

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored
Tales Of Kenzera has a sensitive story and is beautifully designed, with an intriguing world to explore - but some imprecision lets it down in the platforming and combat. It's still more than worth a go for players looking for something fresh.

TheSixthAxis - Adrian Burrows - 5 / 10
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU is an ambitious game, and this kind of endeavour should be applauded and encouraged. Seeking to harness the difficult topic of grief in the form of a Metroidvania was always a big ask. Unfortunately, on this occasion, it proved a challenge that simply hasn't been met.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 3 / 5
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU feels like a studio stretching its legs for the first time. Visually inventive, and full of great platforming, average combat and exploration lets it down

WellPlayed - James Wood - 8 / 10
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU infuses the action platformer with earnest, emotional storytelling and a vibrant, compelling world to explore.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10
Tales of Kenzera: Zau is a triumphant debut for Surgent Studios. At $20, and available on day one for PlayStation+ subscribers, any fan of the action-platformer genre would do well to check it out. Zau’s journey through loss will stick with me for a long time, and the excellent gameplay already has me itching to play through it all again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's crazy how it was showcased on a Xbox show and then launches into PS+.
I don't think I've seen a game do that before.
Yeah, MS threw them a bone there on marketing for sure. No idea why, but why not. A decent chunk of indies get announced in Nintendo shows but hit GP day 1, like Botany Manor. This game is EA so it will hit GP in a year.

Getting a day one deal for PS+ is good for this game.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not bad for a first attempt. I'm torn. On one hand, its setting is incredibly rare in the gaming landscape. I do want to support a developer trying their hand at African-inspired myths and legends. On the other hand, it has Sweet Baby Inc's stink on it.

I'll look at more gameplay videos. I liked what I played in the demo.

GHG

Looks pretty cool and interesting. Anyone else here thought this was from the Tales JRPG series when they saw the thread title though?

Yep I thought the same and thought I missed something in terms of it being announced.

Watched the gameplay trailer and was then reminded of what this is.

In no rush to play this, seems mediocre. I'm pretty sure it will be part of a humble monthly at some point in the future anyway.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

Denuvo - Strike one
SBI - Strike two
Derivative of better games - Strike three

Three strikes. Hard nope.
I don't care that it's $20.
It will only be in my steam library after it's part of some grey market steam key bundle I acquired to get a better game.

I think everyone is reviewing on a curve. Points were added most review scores due to the SBI taint.

**Originally thought this was a new 'Tales of' JRPG game months ago - bonus strike.**

Last edited:
Denuvo - nope
SBI - nope
Derivative of better games - nope

Three strikes. Hard nope.
I don't care that it's $20.
It will only be in my steam library after it's part of some grey market steam key bundle I acquired to get a better game.

I think everyone is reviewing on a curve. Points were added most review scores due to the SBI taint.

**Originally thought this was a new 'Tales of' JRPG game months ago - bonus nope.**
Putting nope next to those makes it look like it doesn't have those things. You should just change it to strike 1, strike 2, strike 3 or something.

Sleepwalker

Yep I thought the same and thought I missed something in terms of it being announced.

Watched the gameplay trailer and was then reminded of what this is.

In no rush to play this, seems mediocre. I'm pretty sure it will be part of a humble monthly at some point in the future anyway.

Same.

My day is ruined now.

I tried the demo on Steam and it was okay, controls and combat felt a little floaty and it chugged in places on Steam Deck with the settings on medium despite not looking particularly demanding. Maybe one day on sale, lots to play right now.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love Metroidvanias, will be picking this one up. Doesn't look elite tier, but looks like it'll be a fun ride at the absolute worst. And great price point.

kyoji

Pretty fun so far, i couldn't believe my eyes when i came across this though, i had to double take! it seems real recognize real?! nani!?

3sZtKsV.jpeg

What a joke. They have to press down on the scales to tip it their way. Without bots people would see the real ratio of likes to dislikes. Sweet baby inc detected.

I'll play devil's advocate and say it's probably just part of a marketing push. The publisher hired some marketing firm, who in turn farmed the comments out to a bot farm.

Still crappy that they can't market their game in a "legit" way, but this is what has become of internet marketing in general. Dead internet theory is real.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
FYI....looking like the whole SOB story the creator had at the TGA when this was first announced was fishy. The dude was aligned with SBI as an insider. So tired of these lowlifes destroying our hobby.....

EDIT- I can post this in the SBI thread if mods feel appropriate

Last edited:

Gaiff

FYI....looking like the whole SOB story the creator had at the TGA when this was first announced was fishy. The dude was aligned with SBI as an insider. So tired of these lowlifes destroying our hobby.....
Talk about an overreaction. This seems like a decent enough game based on Bantu mythology. Nothing about it is "destroying our hobby".

As long as the game doesn't beat us over the head with a political agenda, we should only care about how good it is. Looks average thus far.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Talk about an overreaction. This seems like a decent enough game based on Bantu mythology. Nothing about it is "destroying our hobby".

As long as the game doesn't beat us over the head with a political agenda, we should only care about how good it is. Looks average thus far.
It is SBI. That is exactly what it does.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

SBI is 100% destroying our hobby, what about that can't you grasp?

Gaiff

No, it isn't. The hobby is just fine. A small company run by a few idiots can't destroy video games lol.

Furthermore, I couldn't give a fuck less about them unless they're detrimental to the narrative of the game this thread is about. Has any of you played it? If yes, then can you tell us how it damages the narrative/story of the game? Just quoting a bunch of Twitter posts tells us nothing.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
That's just a ridiculous exaggeration. I remember some people here crying about SBI destroying Alan Wake II, even though a single line of dialogue ended up being really stupid. I spent a few hours with TALES OF KENZERA: ZAU this morning and didn't even suspect that SBI somehow had a hand in this. Instead, I had a lot of fun - so I think this "they are 100% destroying our hobby" is bullshit.

Gaiff

That's just a ridiculous exaggeration. I remember some people here crying about SBI destroying Alan Wake II, even though a single line of dialogue ended up being really stupid. I spent a few hours with TALES OF KENZERA: ZAU this morning and didn't even suspect that SBI somehow had a hand in this. Instead, I had a lot of fun - so I think this "they are 100% destroying our hobby" is bullshit.
This. The gloom and gloom tactic is exactly what is constantly employed by extremists to push an agenda. "ZOMG, they're trying to make all our children gay!"

Like, come on man lol.

Glad that there's no blatant agenda in the game so far. I played the demo and there was really no sign of SBI. I might get it later because I do want to support games that have have a basis in unsung cultures and myth. That this is based on African mythology is awesome. Shame the game seems unremarkable from a gameplay standpoint, however.

Top Bottom