• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your MK costume rankings.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Clicks to enlarge image...

woah1.gif

Is that model, umm accurate to the gameplay one?

You tell me

Replicant

I like

MKX Scorpion Gold
MKX Sub Zero Blue Steel
MKX Faceless Sub Zero
MK9 Scorpion
MKX Kitana (but not her face, wtf NR?!)
MK3 Kitana
MK3 Mileena
MK3 Sub Zero

When it comes to Reptile, I agree with most people that human disguised is best (MK3 > MK2 for which costume).

So with that said, I'm going to rank only the fully lizard Reptiles.

1. MKDA (Alt)
  2. MKX
  3. MKDA
  4. MKX (Alt)
  5. MK9 (Alt)
  6. MK9
  7. Shaolin Monks
  8. MK4
If there's one thing I hate about fully lizard Reptile, it's when they are half assed and non committal with it, and there's no logic or thematic consistency.

If NRS is dead set on not returning to the human disguise, then at least make lizard Reptile look like an anthropomorphized lizard, not a green human with messed up teeth.

There's tons of potential of moves and animations that would make him interesting to watch and different from everyone else, if they kept his tail.

I also hate when lizard Reptile is in plain ninja clothes. It fits more with his body design to have a primitive tribal looking rope, hide, and bone costume cobbled together, not a perfectly tailored outfit. I also don't like the Shaolin Monks head wrapping, because mummy head wrapping is Ermac's thing.

onimonkii

Banned
Hey, where are you guys finding all this costumes? I though most characters only had two.

kitana has like six. default, tournament, dark empress, jingu, revenant, and klassic.

klassic is from the ios game, jingu is from the kombat pack, dark empress you complete 5 hourly towers, revenant i think you get gold on 5? tournament is in the krypt.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I always hated actual reptilian Reptile. Ninja all the way, and the MK9 version was the best.

But I would take live action teaser Reptile.
reptile-mortal-kombatrhssh.jpg

Every costume in MK3 looks like shit. SHIT.

MK1 and MK2 had it down. MK4 finally brought back the more legitimate character design. Anyone who actually thought MK3 costumes were an upgrade from 2 probably weren't born yet. It was pretty disappointing at the time.

Eidan

Netherrealms deserves credit. It looks like they really made an effort to tone down the overt sexualization of their female characters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why is Sonya not wearing a bra in her MKvsDC design? Why did they make it so we can CLEARLY see her pointy bits through her shirt?

WHY!?

Honestly, all the MKX costumes are the best costumes that the MK characters have ever had. I have a hard time thinking of past costumes that were better, and I've played all the MK fighters; from the digitized actors, to the PS2 era, all the way to MKX.

For those characters that didn't get updated costumes, then I suppose their MK9 costumes were the best ones.

Why is Sonya not wearing a bra in her MKvsDC design? Why did they make it so we can CLEARLY see her pointy bits through her shirt?

WHY!?

Because Midway.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Every costume in MK3 looks like shit. SHIT.

MK1 and MK2 had it down. MK4 finally brought back the more legitimate character design. Anyone who actually thought MK3 costumes were an upgrade from 2 probably weren't born yet. It was pretty disappointing at the time.

We got a drastically less-dorky looking Sonya, Kano, metal-armed Jax, the UMK3 ninjas, Kabal, a far cooler Shang Tsung, and more.

The only really lame designs were unmasked Sub-Zero, Stryker, and Liu Kang's shitty hair thing.

You want to fight OP?

Masked SZ is always superior. I knew this basic truth the first time I played mk3 as a child and saw lamo sub zero.

His mk9/10 ninja designs are better than the mk1/2, but all masked designs > unmasked.

Gray hair Sub best Sub, no beard > beard, then the various masked designs in the middle, then the shitty Shredder design, then the shitty bald alternate from the same game as the shitty Shredder design.

The day has finally come where I've encountered someone with taste this horrible.

(Almost) everyone knows Shredder Subs is THE best Sub-Zero costume in the series.

xdCnVWt.png

RedAssedApe

Banned
You want to fight OP?

Masked SZ is always superior. I knew this basic truth the first time I played mk3 as a child and saw lamo sub zero.

His mk9/10 ninja designs are better than the mk1/2, but all masked designs > unmasked.

yeah...unmasked sz is dumb. mk3 especially. not sure why they got a white dude to play him...lol then again the same actor played shang tsung in that game...budget i guess?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
While I thought MKX designs/costumes were solid for the most part (Shinnok being my favorite), but I couldn't grasp how badly they fucked up with Tanya, Sateen, and to a lesser extent Mileena. The costumes were offensive as is, but the hair? Did they all go to the same Sports Cuts? I expected something better than PS2 hairs. Reminded me of Syphon Filter.

Syphon Filter. :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
latest

Raiden's Deadly Alliance alt is worth mentioning just for how freaking rad it is.
This is Raiden? He looks awesome without his stupid elastic head thing on.

EulaCapra

My Kitana ranking from worst to best (not including undead MKX costumes):

MK2011 - fugly man undercover as a prostitute whore making a living for his three kids at a strip club. I swear this is one of the reasons Gamer Gate happened, guys.
syGJc6e.jpg

Deadly Alliance - fugly man in purple. I was actually pissed they used this as her default in Armageddon.
NeDrFBt.jpg

MK2011 - Vegas cocktail waitress. It has some charm, but no honey, you're going to a fight. Not the pole.
4DHeUl6.png

Shaolin Monks - are you sure you're a ninja?
n0eLYm4.png

MKX - Almost like her MK2011 default but it can almost pass off as decent and not stripper-ish. Almost.
nPbYQiV.png

MK Gold - it's exactly the same as UMK3 but without the mask to hide the man
jqayY3a.gif

UMK3 - I thought the ninja girls looked pretty good
3YsAIF1.jpg

MK2 - the template that started Kitana's hatred for pants!
Wj9dY0U.jpg

MKX - I really like that they went Asian meets Egyptian with the gold ornateness, but the slits in her thighs, back, and stomach are nonsense. Everything around the chest and thighs are great though especially her ninja boots.
3u3Coek.png

Deadly Alliance - One of my favorite looks. It's a remix of her UMK3 garb, but the small details like the super long braided hair, the blue leg wraps, and the new boots really make it great.
dhaO4jb.jpg

MK vs DC - Probably my favorite look. It looks better in motion. It's a great new look that's the epitome of warrior Kitana.
DsF6af3.jpg

Bonus MKX - her ending. Kitana looking fierce as fuck.
lVADQ9E.png

WHY!?
Becuase MKvsDC was meant for children... lol

I'd take a Reptile who has the green pallet swap ninja attire but still has the full lizard skin and personality. I think that would make everyone happy
That sounds like he would end up looking like the stupid Shaolin Monks version haha. No thanks, if you're gonna make him disguised make him actually look disguised. Keep the personality no matter what though.

dcx4610

I always preferred Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile from MK1 with the traditional ninja grab. It made them mysterious. The original storyline between Sub and Scorp was simple but great.

It seems like they just kept trying harder and harder over the years to add more and more to the costumes to the point that they are barely recognizable.

I did like the design of Sub in MK9 which made him more of a brawler and Scorp in MKX looks pretty great. Still, less it more in my eyes and the original costumes for virtually all characters are far superior.

Top Bottom