• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Secret Characters Refresher

¡HarlequinPanic!;159328537 said:
I applaud Midway and Co. for having the stones to throw away half of their recognized cast in vanilla MK3.

It didn't really work, though. Vanilla MK3 is kinda lame.

Fordfx2

Anyone use these 2 from the previous games?

Kotaro:

latest

Kintaro:

latest

Krejlooc

Banned
I applaud Midway and Co. for having the stones to throw away half of their recognized cast in vanilla MK3.

They did that mainly because they fired the actors who played those characters.

georly

Umk3 dropped right about the time the genesis and snes versions of vanilla mk3 dropped. I remember it dropped simultaneously with the announcement that it was "sega saturn exclusive" and that's why the saturn wasn't getting mk3 like the psx had.

Oh hey, welcome back, glad you're not banned anymore. You're my VR savior.

But yeah I dunno. I remember MK3 at one arcade and then UMK3 at another, so maybe I just got into MK3 a bit late. Didn't get any console version of MK3 until N64 I think.

Great thread! One of my favorite things about oder fighting games. Hopefully there will be some in X as well; holding out hope for Noob Sabot!

Don't forget the Original Street Fighter III as well! They threw out everyone but Ryu and Ken. I miss those crazy risk taking days.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh hey, welcome back, glad you're not banned anymore. You're my VR savior.

But yeah I dunno. I remember MK3 at one arcade and then UMK3 at another, so maybe I just got into MK3 a bit late. Didn't get any console version of MK3 until N64 I think.

I was very seriously considering buying a psx solely for mk3. The reason I held off was because of the announcement (I got a saturn at launch). Wound up preordering the genesis version of mk3 instead and got umk3 saturn at launch. The saturn port of umk3 was so good, even if the game itself wasnt that great.

Jaeger

I hope my personal favorites return. Noob, Smoke (at least he seems to be an opponent we can face), a cyber ninja of some kind since Sub looks to be returned to his non altered state. Even if not officially playable, mods and hacks will rectify that if enough of them exist in the game.

Dont forget the best of all - garou motw.

The goat.

Jaeger

I just love secret characters. It's now a staple in fighting games, and I don't recall in recent memory any major fighter not having them. I have a strong faith we will see Noob again. And somewhere, hidden deep behind something that can't be gleaned from 3 days on a leaked copy, there will be others. This will take time, and a greater number of people to come across.

Krejlooc

Banned
I just love secret characters. It's now a staple in fighting games, and I don't recall in recent memory any major fighter not having them. I have a strong faith we will see Noob again. And somewhere, hidden deep behind something that can't be gleaned from 3 days on a leaked copy, there will be others. This will take time, and a greater number of people to come across.

Killer instinct has no secret characters.

I believe Motaro and Shao Kahn are playable characters in SNES version of MK3/UMK3 via cheat code without any exploitation required.

Not sure if it counts as secret characters.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember the days of trying to unlock secret character fights in the original trilogy. It was so much fun. I was so enamored by the games back then.

The load times for the PSX MK Trilogy sucked, but I still loved it. I've always secretly wished that it would be released as a digital title I could play on Vita.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I love their habit of referencing old rumours and bringing in those characters. Skarlet in 2011 was the last one. There was also a weird history with Tremor who only officially appeared in Special Forces beforehand, but was maybe supposed to appear in UMK3 I think.

It's only a matter of time before Hornbuckle has his time in the spotlight :p

lol

Never heard about that, were they all getting up to what Pesina was, or were they demanding more money, or was midway just being douchey?

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/2/3444618/mortal-kombats-johnny-cage-20-years-later

Boon and Tobias told the actors that they'll be taken care of if the game sells gangbuster. When the sequel sold like hotcakes, actors decided to ask for more money (their contract was per-hour basis and they believe they deserve more than what they were paid which was a low thousand). Midway and the CEOs loled. They fought in court and actors lost. The court case is what lead to their ultimate breakup, and the reason why Johnny Cage isn't in MK3. The above photoshoot was done 2 years before the lawsuit and wasn't even a big deal until fans noticed Johnny Cage missing from MK3.

Read the article for more goodness.

Cyros

Shadow Jago?

Edit: Oh, I guess not if you bought the Day One edition. Not a secret then.

The playable version of Shadow Jago came with a 1-year Xbox Live subscription Day One Edition at the Xbox One launch. Just an alternate skin for Jago.

The boss version of Shadow Jago has a tweaked moveset, and requires special conditions to fight him at the end of the "story" mode.

Don't know if that's enough to count the boss version of Shadow Jago as a hidden character.

Skunkers

Yea, spoilers for secret characters:

there is none found so far from the people who've had the game for several days. Shinnok is the only unlockable but whats the point when he's been officially revealed fully and in the character select screen the game just tells you to finish story mode to unlock him so that ruins the surprise for those who came in blind.

Boon said there would be an unlockable but he's never to be trusted with these things so you never know. Some secrets in MK are hidden deep but I don't expect it to be anything substantial, maybe some hidden fights, wacky costumes, secret ality's etc like MK9

I saw somebody playing on a stream and there is something.

Do not reveal this spoiler unless you want end boss spoilers for MKX.

Watched a guy playing arcade mode on the stream and when he beat Shinnok, he had to fight Possessed Shinnok, a demon-ified and MKbosslol version of Shinnok.

Possessed Shinnok also had separate Fatalities from normal Shinnok: He summoned a giant pillar with spikes on the sides of it (like from the bottom of the Pit, or seen in the Crossroads stage of MKX), impaled the streamer's character up there, let him writhe in agony, then grabbed his legs and pulled him down slowly, using the impaled spike to cut him in half. It seemed to last a lot longer than most normal character's Fatalities too, it was pretty ornate lol.
Anyway, he might be unlockable (doubt it but maybe).

I originally had him there. I was misinformed on his position in that game. Should be fixed, now.

Naw man, I said he's not a secret opponent. He's even on the tower. I didn't mean he's not a secret selectable. All good now, i guess lol.

Deception's unlockable characters situation was quite complicated. While not as much of a surprise as Zombie Liu Kang, the PS2 and Xbox version had 12 unlockable characters*, almost all unlocked through treasure chests in Konquest mode, with the exception of the "main" character Shujinko. Shujinko was unlocked by beating Konquest Mode and could gain even more special moves through Yin-Yang icons scattered around post-ending Konquest Mode.

Then with the GameCube version, to compensate for the lack of online, Shao Kahn and Goro were added and available from the get-go, along with six previously-locked characters. Then there was Mortal Kombat Unchained for PSP, which ported over the changes from the GC version and added four characters from Deadly Alliance (Jax, Frost, Blaze, Kitana), also unlocked from the start (along with the rest of the previously-locked characters).

* Havik, Hotaru, Jade, Li Mei, Noob-Smoke, Kira, Kenshi, Raiden, Liu Kang, Sindel, Tanya, Shujinko (Italicized characters were unlocked from the start in the GC version)

NEO0MJ

This is what I miss most about fighting games: unlocking cool hidden characters by doing interesting things in the game. Now you unlock them by purchasing a $30 season pass...

Most fighting games have all their characters unlocked from the start because most fighting game players find it annoying to have to unlock them, especially when arranging tourneys.

Jaeger

Killer instinct has no secret characters.

Well, yea. But hell, most of the characters weren't available from the start. Most fighters come in a much more complete package before reaching the public.

I believe Motaro and Shao Kahn are playable characters in SNES version of MK3/UMK3 via cheat code without any exploitation required.

Not sure if it counts as secret characters.

I'd say they do!

So pissed Smoke isnt in Mortal Kombat X.......

He is in it, but I only saw him in the story mode. Doubt He's playable. I'm sure he will be stupid DLC.
I love their habit of referencing old rumours and bringing in those characters. Skarlet in 2011 was the last one. There was also a weird history with Tremor who only officially appeared in Special Forces beforehand, but was maybe supposed to appear in UMK3 I think.

It's only a matter of time before Hornbuckle has his time in the spotlight :p

Me too. Skarlet, Ermac, Tremor, Blaze. Boon and his team pay attention to the community.

I saw somebody playing on a stream and there is something.

Do not reveal this spoiler unless you want end boss spoilers for MKX.

Watched a guy playing arcade mode on the stream and when he beat Shinnok, he had to fight Possessed Shinnok, a demon-ified and MKbosslol version of Shinnok.

Possessed Shinnok also had separate Fatalities from normal Shinnok: He summoned a giant pillar with spikes on the sides of it (like from the bottom of the Pit, or seen in the Crossroads stage of MKX), impaled the streamer's character up there, let him writhe in agony, then grabbed his legs and pulled him down slowly, using the impaled spike to cut him in half. It seemed to last a lot longer than most normal character's Fatalities too, it was pretty ornate lol.
Anyway, he might be unlockable (doubt it but maybe).

Naw man, I said he's not a secret opponent. He's even on the tower. I didn't mean he's not a secret selectable. All good now, i guess lol.

Ugh. I'd rather have an actual character than that.

Most fighting games have all their characters unlocked from the start because most fighting game players find it annoying to have to unlock them, especially when arranging tourneys.

I think there's should be an option of some kind (although I don't want to see it being a paying one) that allows people to bypass unlocking things. Because seeing it go because 'tourneys" is not the option, IMO.

Top Bottom