• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Lin Kuei Trailer Reveal

Spaceman292

Banned
First good fatality in years by Smoke, key is to key the body intact by absolutely ravaged.
It's too bad they made Smoke look like a lesbian, bring back his long flowly hair, he needs to look otherworldly.
Music was also a poor choice, didn't sound like Mortal Kombat, more like Mortal Combat.
Very confusing post

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Showin up to your girl’s crib like:
Hc0uxLa.jpg

93xfan

Banned
I’m getting old, the fatalities are becoming really hard to watch. Like way too violent with the more realistic graphics. I dunno. Feels a bit cringe.
I’m with you. Was a fan of MK since I was a kid. Even the Xrays seem a bit over the top.

Don’t care what people think, but they need a toggle for some of this.

Loved the art style and new backgrounds

Soodanim

Gold Member
Are talking about the xray moves as "cutscenes" cuz pretty much every super move in most video games is a move you initiate then basically watch.
If you are talking about the intros....well yes thats a cutscene buts its just the intro to the fight, from the demo they are skippable once the stage has loaded in.
If you are talking about fatalities.....i got nothing for you.

Worse still if you are talking about the story mode cutscenes.....whats wrong with you?
MKs story mode is the only reason I even care about this game, i suck way too much to actually play this competitively but the storymode is ace....and yes, they switch from cutscene to gameplay to cutscene pretty much seamlessly......that should be a boon not a negative.

As for the kameos they are extensions to your fighters moveset.
If you need a move to get you out of trouble quickly with a back step you select scorpion as your kameo fighter as one of his kameo moves will pull you back near half screen.
Maybe you just need an extra juggle in your arsenal, then pick kano.
You pick the kameo fighter who adds something you might be missing with your selected fighter or just something that really helps your fighting style.
X-rays have become so long that they are now cutscenes in the middle of a fight. It's like stopping for an advertising break, you could go make a sandwich in that time.

At least kameos seem okay for regular moves

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
X-rays have become so long that they are now cutscenes in the middle of a fight. It's like stopping for an advertising break, you could go make a sandwich in that time.
Xray moves are too long.
Kitanas tits are too small.
Smoke looks like a lesbian.
Fatalities are too violent.
The game looks generic (cuz you know theres so many fighting games that look like Mortal Kombat)
Mortal Kombat is now anime shit.

smh-head-shake.gif

GAF really is something else.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Xray moves are too long.
The game looks generic (cuz you know theres so many fighting games that look like Mortal Kombat)

smh-head-shake.gif

Are you not aware that not all members are the same person and that we have different opinions? Do you watch political debates between two sides and say "Man, these politicians don't know what they want!" You're also putting way too much stock in that list of unrelated opinions for someone that isn't working for NRS, so calm down Ed.

Mr Branding

Xray moves are too long.

smh-head-shake.gif

I don’t get it either but also I don’t really care, let them cry.

People will always moan and repost that tired old vid critique of mkx even if mk11 is way better and this looks like a step above 11.

Also saying this sells well because it’s made for casuals is some weird mental gymnastics.

justonething

Jada's BFF
I don’t get it either but also I don’t really care, let them cry.

People will always moan and repost that tired old vid critique of mkx even if mk11 is way better and this looks like a step above 11.

Also saying this sells well because it’s made for casuals is some weird mental gymnastics.
You two need to take up a better sport than complaining about people critiquing a game. I've never understood that shit. If you like the game say what you see about the game post it, like I posted what I hate. Why try to start shit with others just because you disagree with them? We don't live in the stone age, we can all disagree on things you don't need to attack people for it. So weird.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You two need to take up a better sport than complaining about people critiquing a game. I've never understood that shit. If you like the game say what you see about the game post it, like I posted what I hate. Why try to start shit with others just because you disagree with them? We don't live in the stone age, we can all disagree on things you don't need to attack people for it. So weird.
You need to take up a better sport than complaining about people complaining about people critiquing a game.
My comments are in line with your own post.....we are in disagreement he and me, so im pointing that out, at no point did I actually attack the poster so not sure why you are going off on a tangent.

My post prior was me outlining my counterpoint as I assumed that poster was literally talking about cutscene transitions in story mode.

Seeing that hes just talking about the Xray moves which are about the length of many supers in fighting games (basically a reward for having earned that meter). In fact if they didnt have the slow mo effect they would be faster than most supers.

Responding to the other critiques isnt worth the effort.
How does someone counterpoint Kitanas tits are too small? Or Mortal Kombat is now anime shit, when this is what MK has been for years.

justonething

Jada's BFF
You need to take up a better sport than complaining about people complaining about people critiquing a game.
My comments are in line with your own post.....we are in disagreement he and me, so im pointing that out, at no point did I actually attack the poster so not sure why you are going off on a tangent.
You and that Mr Branding are picking out complaints about the game and crying about them, and me pointing that out is some kind of paradox for you? Laughable. You literally created a list of critques out of context from the thread with a dumbfounded reaction, as though that adds anything. We get it, you just see things at the surface level and are easy to please, move on, forums aren't for you.
My post prior was me outlining my counterpoint as I assumed that poster was literally talking about cutscene transitions in story mode.

Seeing that hes just talking about the Xray moves which are about the length of many supers in fighting games (basically a reward for having earned that meter). In fact if they didnt have the slow mo effect they would be faster than most supers.

Responding to the other critiques isnt worth the effort.
How does someone counterpoint Kitanas tits are too small? Or Mortal Kombat is now anime shit, when this is what MK has been for years.
Don't know how this relates at all to anything.

Apocryphon

Xray moves are too long.

smh-head-shake.gif

Generic is probably the wrong word. Compared to the likes Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Blazeblue, and Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat just looks bland. It’s probably true to the art style of the first three games in the series when translated into 3D, but it’s obviously not for everybody. It doesn’t look hugely different to MK11 or the Injustice games, and I think it’s fair criticism. Dead or Alive suffers from the same problem.

Changing the animations would likely go a long way to supporting the art style, but that’s not going to happen. Personally I was hoping it would have a much darker tone like UMK3. The particle effects, lighting, and texture detail look great, but the art style is uninspired. It is Tekken bad? Maybe not.

And I don’t know about anime, but that screenshot does give off heavy BTL vibes 😂

1XOfrWs.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Branding

You know what? Maybe you’re right.. forums aren’t for me, so don’t let me stop you hating on videogames. Disagree away, my friend.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So where are we with leaks after this trailer? I don’t remember anyone predicting Rain, who was in here. Does that mean the roster leak was wrong? (I know the DLC leak was probably true.)

Soodanim

Gold Member
From the few Ultras I just checked in SF6, Ryu's Shoryuken is 6 seconds long. E Honda's is about 8-9 seconds and that's insufferably long (I'm biased, because I think it's shit). Others seem to average around 7 seconds.

In the trailer, 1:13-1:29 is 16 seconds and it's still cut short by a second or two at the end. That's 3x longer than Ryu's and still twice as long E Honda's.

But the kicker is that fatalities (the true rewards of combat, not x-rays) in MK11 are actually shorter than the kameo x-ray shown. Explain that one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom