• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII announced for summer 2016, Trails of Cold Steel 3 also announced

Teknoman

I really really hope the next Ys special edition matches Celceta. Also that the gameplay goes back to solo Adol. I have nothing against the other characters usually involved, but it still feels strange to have people following him through his exploits.

A weapon switching system for slash/blunt/pierce would be better.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really really hope the next Ys special edition matches Celceta. Also that the gameplay goes back to solo Adol. I have nothing against the other characters usually involved, but it still feels strange to have people following him through his exploits.

We already know it will have party members again. It also brings back jumping. There was a teaser at TGS a couple years ago.

Maniel

Banned
Any platforms mentioned on Cold Steel 3? I'm assuming it will be at least Vita/ps3 but maybe it'll have a ps4 port

Producer

Theres still a party system, although they added jumping and better traversal

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any platforms mentioned on Cold Steel 3? I'm assuming it will be at least Vita/ps3 but maybe it'll have a ps4 port

Falcom said a while back that their games going forward would be on PS4. So that seems like a safe bet, question is will it be on both PS3 and Vita.

PS4 is likely due to the also-mentioned efforts at appealing to international fans.

Edit: http://www.esterior.net/2015/11/end-of-year-2015-report-summary-the-new-ys-will-be-released-in-2016/

Not quite "all their games will be on PS4," but they plan to release games on the platform. I'd be surprised if Cold Steel 3 is just PS3/Vita. After they got XSEED to hurry and localize the first two due to the platforms' limited remaining life, it wouldn't make much sense for them to release another game with those same limitations.

Jiraiza

Yikes, I gotta get around to playing FC, SC, the games in after, and Cold Steel II.

Then there's Star Ocean 5 and Genei Ibun Roku in the next two months... Mother of god.

Risette

A Good Citizen
where is a good place to start with the y's series?

I have y's 1&2, and origin and oath in felghana on steam from an impulse purchase. are these good for newcomers, I'm assuming I should start with 1 and work my way down? or should I wait for y's 8 to come out?

jb1234

I have y's 1&2, and origin and oath in felghana on steam from an impulse purchase. are these good for newcomers, I'm assuming I should start with 1 and work my way down? or should I wait for y's 8 to come out?

I'd do either Origin or Oath. Both are terrific action RPGs. Ys 1 and 2 are more old school but still worth playing if you can get on board with their gameplay.

(Oath was my first and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.)

Man, excited for VIII (even if I'm not a big fan of the party system).

FLD

Damn, Ys VIII is sooner than I expected, especially considering how little of it we've seen. Definitely grabbing both for Vita.

Out of curiosity, how is the workflow between Falcom and XSEED? Does Falcom provide them with scripts/builds pre-release or do they have to wait until the games are out in Japan before they can get to work?

You could definitely start with 1. It's definitely worth your while to play 1 & 2 before Origin.

I started with Oath, which I'm happy about, but 1 is obviously a great starting point. It should be noted that 1 & 2 are a bit more odd in their game play, so Oath might be more to some players liking. But the bump system from the original games really grows on you, too.

duckroll

1&2, then oath, then origins.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

1 & 2 are probably the hardest to start with since they are really old school games. Not really updated to modern standards mechanics-wise. You could start there if you don't mind that though. Oath in Felghana and Origin are both fine starting points.

Apart from 1 and 2, you don't need to worry about playing anything in order. The series' lore is connected, but it's not important to the story so you can fill it in in any order.

So I should just wait?
N-no! Still grab it.

Ys I & II -> OiF -> Origin -> VI

Don't forget to impulse purchase Ys VI in the upcoming winter sale!

mankoto

Damn, Ys VIII is sooner than I expected, especially considering how little of it we've seen. Definitely grabbing both for Vita.

Out of curiosity, how is the workflow between Falcom and XSEED? Does Falcom provide them with scripts/builds pre-release or do they have to wait until the games are out in Japan before they can get to work?

XSEED wasn't allowed to look at Tokyo Xanadu from what I remember. Of course that might be because Falcom wanted them to completely focus on Cold Steel though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
XSEED wasn't allowed to look at Tokyo Xanadu from what I remember. Of course that might be because Falcom wanted them to completely focus on Cold Steel though.

Tom said Falcom doesn't tell XSEED anything or share their work before it's ready in Japan. No reason to expect them to start localizing it before it comes out there, but they will probably start on it quickly once they get the opportunity.

Dio

Banned

STOP TRIGGERING ME ITS "Ys"

All the games are self-contained except for 1 and 2 (Origin also sets up a few plot threads for 1 and 2, so that might count as well.) Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games of all time, so yeah.

There's little point in playing them in a set order for the story, they're mostly self contained. I'd just start with Oath in Felghana.

Xenoflare

I really hope the Trails after the Cold Steel can contain it's story in one game.

Sure, the plot is big, but Sen 2's plot is very barren and disorganized, it could have ended there but nope.

ehh but YSVIII YES, YES YES YES

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
STOP TRIGGERING ME ITS YS

All the games are self-contained except for 1 and 2 (Origin also sets up a few plot threads for 1 and 2, so that might count as well.) Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games of all time, so yeah.

The Origin/1&2 references work both ways. I'd say 1&2 before Origin works best if you really want to enjoy the story as much as possible, since Origin will more or less spoil those games. But you don't really play any of them primarily for the story anyway.

You play 1 to build up to 2 which rocks. And you play all the rest for their own awesome gameplay and music.

mankoto

Tom said Falcom doesn't tell XSEED anything or share their work before it's ready in Japan. No reason to expect them to start localizing it before it comes out there, but they will probably start on it quickly once they get the opportunity.

Well that'd certainly be great.

Some Nobody

Hm. The last Trails game looked fairly decent for a PS3 game, so if this game has upgraded visuals over that, we might be in for quite the treat.

Anyway, yay~ I was thinking of buying Trails of Cold Steel 1 anyway. It'll be one of the last titles I use my PS3 for. (Sen 2 and maybe I'll finish Yakuza 4 before I move on.)

Ys VIII gives me something to look forward to when, presumably, S-E will have exhausted all their big games next year. Any chance we'd see these at Jump Festa this weekend?

Another good news thanks to Endless History:
One question pertained to overseas publishing. Falcom's answer was that Kiseki and Ys are proving to be popular on PS and PC releases. --
--Falcom has also confirmed in the answer that they are looking into overseas publishing regarding Tokyo Xanadu---

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A new Ys game yay :D

Will get it for my PS4 unless they release it on PC.

I wouldn't count on it, Falcom doesn't develop for PC anymore and it seems unlikely that a port would be contracted. And with consoles in China a port there is unlikely, though there isn't any evidence a Chinese port could get an English version regardless.

MrDoctor

get on it XSEED. otherwise i'll be seeing you guys in the import OT

Yikes, I gotta get around to playing FC, SC, the games in after, and Cold Steel II.

Then there's Star Ocean 5 and Genei Ibun Roku in the next two months... Mother of god.
the amount of Good Games -- capital letters! -- i have on my plate between now and the following year is staggering

start with Felghana because that one is the best. I&II are oooooollllllld and you'll want to finish those before Origin

edit: oh yeah, Felghana is actually Ys III. so if you're the type who plays in numerical order, there's that

Top Bottom