• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII announced for summer 2016, Trails of Cold Steel 3 also announced

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Soo... Tokyo Xanadu around Q2-Q3 2016, hopefully, Ys VIII Q1-Q2 2017 and Trails of Cold Steel III Q4 2017-Q1 2018 or later depending on when it's going to be released in Japan?

With CS3 not dated for Japan, and Ys possibly being a September release, CS3 might end up being 2017 in Japan. So we would be looking at 2018 at the earliest in that case. PS3/Vita would likely be unviable at that point, so hope for a PS4 version. And assuming XSEED continues the series, that would give them a year to get 3rd out between CS2 and CS3.

BasilZero

I wouldn't count on it, Falcom doesn't develop for PC anymore and it seems unlikely that a port would be contracted. And with consoles in China a port there is unlikely, though there isn't any evidence a Chinese port could get an English version regardless.

What the...since when :(!

Oh well at least I'll get it on PS4 sometime in the future.

I wonder if, because Tokyo Xanadu's sold 3x what Falcom expected (150k vs. projection of 50k), they might take a plunge and get a PC version ready for XSEED to roll out next year or so. That's still unlikely, but they have a chance to make Kondo's words acknowledging the Western digital distribution audience more than dead weight. Until then, we're certainly getting Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in one form or another.

FLD

XSEED wasn't allowed to look at Tokyo Xanadu from what I remember. Of course that might be because Falcom wanted them to completely focus on Cold Steel though.

Tom said Falcom doesn't tell XSEED anything or share their work before it's ready in Japan. No reason to expect them to start localizing it before it comes out there, but they will probably start on it quickly once they get the opportunity.

Seems kinda dumb to share zero info whatsoever with their partners. A situation like the LE only having room for CS I and II could've easily been avoided. I mean, it's a minor thing but still...

CWUzqCBXIAA5X3F.jpg

Wagram

Ys really needs more love as a series. It's so top-tier and it's ignored by the mainstream :(

Can't wait for it to come stateside.

Eusis

Seems kinda dumb to share zero info whatsoever with their partners. A situation like the LE only having room for CS I and II could've easily been avoided. I mean, it's a minor thing but still...
Maybe it can be a running gag. They release the second one with a box for three games, then whether or not they announce a CSIV they decide to just make the third game come with a four case box in anticipation of the next Trails game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everyone needs to buy Cold Steel and Cold Steel II so that we can get Cold Steel III.

yami4ct

Cold Steel 3 is the biggest non-surprise, but super excited we get to start hearing a bit about it. Even if Cold Steel 1+2 don't do so hot, I expect them to at least give it one more go with 3 before calling it quits in the west if Falcom is as serious about making the franchise work as we're heard. The whole reason they're pushing 1+2 out so quickly is so that they can have all the games out while the platforms are still alive and so people might continue buying it on new platforms.

This hopefully will be Falcom's last hurrah with party-style Ys games, meaning VIII's their chance to refine and sublimate the system introduced with VII. I just want the remake of V to stick true to its original's precedent by changing focus, ideally back towards solo-Adol play. Whatever happens, the concept for VIII is looking really strong, and what I said about the character promo art I somewhat take back (it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, lol).

Zekes!

I'm glad this is coming to PS4 alongside the Vita. I own a sealed copy of Memories of Celceta because I assumed I would eventually get a Vita and never have. I might have to bust out my PSP and play the PSP games again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad this is coming to PS4 alongside the Vita. I own a sealed copy of Memories of Celceta because I assumed I would eventually get a Vita and never have. I might have to bust out my PSP and play the PSP games again.

It's PSTV compatible now, so that's an option. At least in NA, you can find them in firesales for $30 or less.

Zekes!

It's PSTV compatible now, so that's an option. At least in NA, you can find them in firesales for $30 or less.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about about the PSTV. Damn, that might be a smart pick-up, especially if I can play Trails in the Sky SC on it.

duckroll

The game is finally coming out in 2016, these are the first screens. It was announced ages ago and went into blackout so people were wondering if it got canned...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I completely forgot about about the PSTV. Damn, that might be a smart pick-up, especially if I can play Trails in the Sky SC on it.

Yup, that's compatible too. I'd recommend the PC version over if it's an option.

I think the only English Falcom PSP release that isn't compatible with PSTV is Ys VI, but nobody should be playing the PSP version of Ys VI. Not 100% sure about Gurumin either, but I thought it was compatible.

Zekes!

Yup, that's compatible too. I'd recommend the PC version over if it's an option.

I think the only English Falcom PSP release that isn't compatible with PSTV is Ys VI. Not 100% sure about Gurumin though.

I'm on a Mac, otherwise I would have been all over the PC release. I own both Ys VI and Gurumin, but being able to play them on something other than the PSP would be dope. Maybe I should just look into setting up Windows on my MBP.

Shit, now I'm starting to go down a rabbit hole. Thanks for reminding me about the PSTV, gonna look for it on sale over the holidays.

Also, judging from these Ys VIII screens they've toned down the bloom used in Tokyo Xanadu, Sen I/II and Celceta, which is awesome and tells me they're more confident with modeling and environment design now to go for better IQ.

Also, judging from these Ys VIII screens they've toned down the bloom used in Tokyo Xanadu, Sen I/II and Celceta, which is awesome and tells me they're more confident with modeling and environment design now to go for better IQ.

Yeah, first thing I noticed is how crisp they looked and no more ugly bloom filter! :D

Top Bottom