• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sanders wins Wyoming Caucus; ties pledged delegates; math; rules :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moppeh

Banned
Can someone try to explain, within reason, how someone can win votes yet lose the goodies that winning votes is supposed to accomplish.

I mean..why even vote if the goodie is not even up for grabs by the direction of the general public?

Mathematically, the delegates were given out fairly and reasonably. With an even number of 14 up for grabs, they each got seven.

The superdelegates usually align themselves based on national popularity as opposed to a state level, so since Hillary is leading, she got those.

I am not an american but the way I understand it the primaries are not necessarily a democratic process, it's how the party internally chooses it's candidate for the actual election. so the delegates make sure that the candidate is someone who represents the party well.
even if you call that "rigged", Sanders can still run for president on his own the way I understand it, just not with the party's blessing
This is an extremely reasonable interpretation. Listen to this man. Caucuses in particular are not at all a democratic process. They're awful.
Yes and yes, not sure how anyone can dispute that.
You do understand how ironic crying about disenfranchisement is in a caucus state for Sanders, right?

goomba

Banned
Bernie and Trump should both start their own new parties with true democratic foundations with no superpacs or super delegates.

Zipzo

Banned
Mathematically, the delegates were given out fairly and reasonably. With an even number of 14 up for grabs, they each got seven.

The superdelegates usually align themselves based on national popularity as opposed to a state level, so since Hillary is leading, she got those.

He won by 12% though in that particular area...that's not a 50-50 split.

There's a valley there that isn't being accounted for.

Even if we completely disregard the super delegates, a 50/50 split for winning 56% of the vote is still eyebrow raising.

He won by 12% though in that particular area...that's not a 50-50 split.

There's a valley there that isn't being accounted for.

Even if we completely disregard the super delegates, a 50/50 split for winning 56% of the vote is still eyebrow raising.

Because Wyoming has so few delegates, and an even number of delegates, the threshold for going from net neutral delegates allocations to +2 is very high.

woolley

Not having the party behind you though is about the same as having a 0% chance of getting the nomination, therefore having the party behind you becomes a pretty crucial element of the process anyway.

Well it's voting to pick someone to represent the party. So having party support is a pretty big part of the process. Super-delegates aren't some new phenomena, they have been around for decades and everyone that decides to run knows the rules of the party.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Advocating violent revolt against the government, got it.

Compromise has always been the United States fatal flaw, one that originated from the start by allying with slavers against the British and has been present in the Republic throughout its entire history including current events. Eventually things are going to break, im just advocating the selection of those that will make that break happen as quickly as possible.

Maledict

I also love complaints about democracy and super delegates from the campaign whose literal strategy is:

1) every super delegates in states Sanders won has to vote for Sanders because it's the will of the state

2) super delegates in states Hillary win should vote for Sanders because he's better

The utter hypocrisy in that statement and these complaints is amusing, but also sad.

Moppeh

Banned
I also love complaints about democracy and super delegates from the campaign whose literal strategy is:

1) every super delegates in states Sanders won has to vote for Sanders because it's the will of the state

2) super delegates in states Hillary win should vote for Sanders because he's better

The utter hypocrisy in that statement and these complaints is amusing, but also sad.

But he's fighting the system and using it against The Man, so it's okay.

So noone going to explain why this wasnt so then ?

Because that's not how the math works in the actual way delegates are determined. It is broken up in a way that breaks toward Hillary. It's also simplified because WY only has one congressional district.

(the percentage is separately run against At Large, CD, and bound PLEO delegate totals, then added up)

There are 8 CD delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 4.457 Delegates to 3.543. Rounded to 4-4

There are 4 At-Large delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 2.23 to 1.77. Rounded to 2-2.

There are 2 Bound PLEO delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 1.12 to 0.88. Rounded to 1-1.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/WY-D

IpsoFacto

This pretty strange because it almost gives the impression that the Democrat Party does not trust it's constituency.

Everybody has bias, that's the nature of being a human and being able to politically align yourself at all.

Pointing it out doesn't really achieve anything.
A Rupert Murdoch owned paper and a former Republican congressman don't have the best interest of the Democratic party at heart.

neoanarch

This pretty strange because it almost gives the impression that the Democrat Party does not trust it's constituency.
Why do you say that? Cause again nationwide in total votes Sanders is losing big. BIG. Like the delegate count is skewed toward Sanders so massively that it seems like he still has a shot.

This isn't true. Clinton only has 11 delegates out of Wyoming if you count superdelegates who were not and never were going to be assigned as a result of the election and are still not required to vote for her. They could change their minds, and in fact most people expect that as a whole the superdelegates would not deny Sanders the nomination if he had a democratic mandate.

Clinton tied Sanders in pledged delegates from the Wyoming primary because nobody lives in Wyoming and this is just how the rounding works out. Sanders would have taken a delegate off of Clinton if he'd gotten I think less than 1% more of the vote.

but the anti-Sanders conspiracy!

Gotchaye

Why do you say that? Cause again nationwide in total votes Sanders is losing big. BIG. Like the delegate count is skewed toward Sanders so massively that it seems like he still has a shot.

I mean, would you trust a group of people who have given Hillary Clinton a commanding lead in the popular vote?

Edit: Also I didn't think that the pledged delegate count was that far off of the popular vote. Like a few percent in favor of Sanders at best.

typist

Hillary netted 2 delegates in Iowa even though she only won by 0.2%. Surely the split in Wyoming should have been 8-6 or more if Bernie won by about 12%?

Everybody has bias, that's the nature of being a human and being able to politically align yourself at all.

Pointing it out doesn't really achieve anything.
Perhaps then ask yourself why right wing talking heads are always on the front lines of calling foul on Sanders's behalf.

Zipzo

Banned
but the anti-Sanders conspiracy!

I don't think this is fair.

While I do not think there is a full-blown conspiracy going on, it is an un-mitigated fact that he garners a lot less media coverage than, say, Trump.

It has gotten a lot better over time as Sanders has gained popularity, especially with the younger generation who is no stranger to social media and spreading the word through any means they can.

Foffy

Banned
Compromise has always been the United States fatal flaw, one that originated from the start by allying with slavers against the British and has been present in the Republic throughout its entire history including current events. Eventually things are going to break, im just advocating the selection of those that will make that break happen as quickly as possible.

I can get how compromise is always a devil, because in many instances, one is willing to compromise with others who, for lack of a better term, are void in reason. This is mainstream Republicans in our climate today.

I don't know if a "fuck you and your pigshitted thoughts" is really an answer here, however. I would find it far more productive to attack beliefs that create behavior, but we're talking about the same party that shudders at the words "climate change" and hides behind the one belief system that somehow shouldn't be attacked, which is religion, that is also the body of some of the worst thoughts humans have ever projected.

I think a race to the bottom is a natural happening, by the way. No need to wish it or demand acceleration. The extremes of what we're dealing with will create insolubility, and within that, the window of reason and progress can potentially open up. But by the same token, so does the window of exploitation and corruption. Look at how Republicans literally want to do nothing because a Democrat is in charge, and what they do can simply be described as obstruction, both in the domain of politics and the slime they get away with to the citizens they represent.

Compromise is essential for politics and running a country. The US problem at the moment seems to be that one side doesn't want to compromise on anything and rather see the country burn.

Gotchaye

Hillary netted 2 delegates in Iowa even though she only won by 0.2%. Surely the split in Wyoming should have been 8-6 or more if Bernie won by about 12%?

Without checking, I bet that what happened here is that Iowa has more than one congressional district and so the state-wide vote alone does not determine how many delegates each candidate gets. Plus some of those districts may have had odd numbers of delegates, which would give one candidate a delegate lead for getting 50%+1 of the vote there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Super Delegates, ridiculous "open and closed primary" procedures, horrible debate scheduling, Dem party super PAC organizing months and months before the primaries even start...what a 'Democracy' we've got.

Not to say we all don't really know that its a farce anyway, what the Democrats publicly espouse compared to their actual thoughts, but its always nice to see it in action.

Well, i have all the praise in the world for Bern getting this far despite all the jerry mandering the media and the Dems and the conservatives have flung at him. New York will probably be insurmountable, just because of its 'closed primary' status...he does far better with the liberal base of the Dem party and liberal/moderate independents on board.

If he had both of those groups voting, he'd easily beat her in NY is my view, But since independents cant vote in it, and the ability to switch your party to Dem to vote ended a while back, before he was able to really campaign personally in the state, his support will be limited, and New York is still one of those must win states to come back in the delegate math.

Puppen

Banned
The system is a failure, top to bottom. Nonviolence has failed us. There is not other choice.

How old are you? Are you aware of the absurdity and cluelessness in this post?

I'm also just laughing at people calling the system rigged only because their guy didn't win. If it was the other way around they'd be saying the system worked.

Because that's not how the math works in the actual way delegates are determined. It is broken up in a way that breaks toward Hillary. It's also simplified because WY only has one congressional district.

(the percentage is separately run against At Large, CD, and bound PLEO delegate totals, then added up)

There are 8 CD delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 4.457 Delegates to 3.543. Rounded to 4-4

There are 4 At-Large delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 2.23 to 1.77. Rounded to 2-2.

There are 2 Bound PLEO delegates, 55.7% for B gives him 1.12 to 0.88. Rounded to 1-1.

That's an amazing way to make sure that the average citizen is just pissed.

mclem

These superdelegates are a real problem, but I think it's overshadowing the fact that after winning the primaries so convincingly thanks to her massive superdelegate lead in 2008, Hillary is now running for a third term.

Moppeh

Banned
Super Delegates, ridiculous "open and closed primary" procedures, horrible debate scheduling, Dem party super PAC organizing months and months before the primaries even start...what a 'Democracy' we've got.

Not to say we all don't really know that its a farce anyway, what the Democrats publicly espouse compared to their actual thoughts, but its always nice to see it in action.

Well, i have all the praise in the world for Bern getting this far despite all the jerry mandering the media and the Dems and the conservatives have flung at him. New York will probably be insurmountable, just because of its 'closed primary' status...he does far better with the liberal base of the Dem party and liberal/moderate independents on board.

If he had both of those groups voting, he'd easily beat her easily, But since independents cant vote in it, and the ability to switch your party to Dem to vote ended a while back, before he was able to really campaign personally in the state, his support will be limited, and New York is still one of those must win states to come back in the delegate math.

Why should Independents be deciding the leader for a party they aren't affiliated with?

There's no coming back. There are no winner take all states. He's done, he's been done which is why this whole argument is silly. Not only is it not rigged it doesn't make any difference.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's an amazing way to make sure that the average citizen is just pissed.

If people are getting pissed over math, this country is doomed. There is no conspiracy here, the OP has an agenda by virtue of including Superdelegates to make it seem like something else happened.

The delegates ended up being split 7-7 due to the small size of the state in population and the math used to award them.

Zipzo

Banned
If people are getting pissed over math, this country is doomed. There is no conspiracy here, the OP has an agenda by virtue of including Superdelegates to make it seem like something else happened.

The delegates ended up being split 7-7 due to the small size of the state in population and the math used to award them.

The math does not explain a 7:7 split though. It also does not explain 4 super delegate pledges in the opposite direction of their caucus's favorite.

Clefargle

The fact that Bernie supporters are freaking out over this is just more fuel for my view that they never once looked into this until the numbers rolled in. This is how it works, don't like it? Try and fix it, but not during the election your trying to win. None of this is "Undemocratic", it's a private party and the rules were created before Clinton ever ran, it wasn't set up to help her. It was set up to help whoever the Superdelegates break towards. In this case that is Clinton.

People are mad at the math, not math in general.

Zipzo

Banned
The fact that Bernie supporters are freaking out over this is just more fuel for my view that they never once looked into this until the numbers rolled in. This is how it works, don't like it? Try and fix it, but not during the election your trying to win. None of this is "Undemocratic", it's a private party and the rules were created before Clinton ever ran, it wasn't set up to help her. It was set up to help whoever the Superdelegates break towards. In this case that is Clinton.

...but Sanders does want to change how the system works. That's like one of his main talking points.

Moppeh

Banned
The math does not explain a 7:7 split though. It also does not explain 4 super delegate pledges in the opposite direction of their caucus's favorite.

As I said previously, superdelegates aren't tied to the voting pattern of their state and instead usually vote in line with the national preference.

lednerg

There's no coming back. There are no winner take all states. He's done, he's been done which is why this whole argument is silly. Not only is it not rigged it doesn't make any difference.

Holding out hope for another Michigan. Also, a record 6 million people have given money to the campaign, so he's basically obligated to continue as he has.

This movement didn't start with Sanders and it won't end with him. This election cycle is just a taste of things to come. The Baby Boomers are dropping like flies, and their kids and grandkids don't have the stupid Red Scare ingrained in their memories.

Clefargle

The math does explain that split:

And no math will explain the Superdelegates endorsing however they want to. That has always been the case and could change if Sanders could win enough pledged delegates. But he consistently falls short of the numbers needed to convince them. If he were to ever get enough numbers to really make the case that the will of the people in behind him, Superdelegates would change to endorsing him for sure. But he can't and won't so they won't.

Brakke

Banned

"Their caucus's favorite" is a nonsense phrase tho. Superdelegates aren't bound by "their" caucus. The caucus is totally irrelevant to the mandate given to the superdelegates.

Indeed, superdelegate "pledges" isn't even real. There's no mechanism there, no enforcement. Come convention, they're tree to flip.

Clefargle

...but Sanders does want to change how the system works. That's like one of his main talking points.

Yes and if you read my post you'll see I said that if they want to fix it, during an election isn't the time. He should have started years ago. You can't fix a system and run in it at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom