• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders endorses his brother in race to replace David Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
via @The Guardian

US presidential hopefuls do not often intervene in British parliamentary byelections. But then, not many presidential candidates are Bernie Sanders. And more than that, he is intervening on behalf of his older brother.

Sanders, who missed out on taking the Democratic nomination from Hillary Clinton, has recorded a brief but heartfelt campaign video aimed at voters in Witney, Oxfordshire, that talks up the attributes of his brother, Larry.

Larry Sanders, who has lived in the UK since 1969, is standing for the Green party in the constituency, which will elect a new MP on 20 October to replace David Cameron, who quit the Commons last month.

Bernie Sanders tells viewers in the video “that I do not know a heck of a lot about British politics”, adding: “But I do know a lot about my brother, Larry Sanders.”

Describing his brother’s “very strong influence over my life”, Sanders said: “From when I was a very little kid, Larry and I discussed issues of social justice, economic justice, and racial justice. And what I can tell you is that my brother is a very, very caring human being, who wants to see government represent all of the people, not just the people on top.”

He added: “He wants to see a society in which we do not have massive levels of income and wealth inequality, wants to see a society where healthcare is a right of people and that means quality healthcare under the national health system.

“For decades now, and I hear this from him almost every week, he has been working to strengthen the NHS to ensure that it is the quality system that everyone in the UK is entitled to.”

-- more in link+video

I saw this headline and felt a surge of excitement, but then I saw "Green Party" and got a little upset.

Headline is a tiny bit clickbait (as news headlines are) -- but the third paragraph of the story will have you know, he's not talking about replacing David Cameron as Prime Minister...

SyNapSe

his older brother? Geez. Is the guy in his 80's? I suppose it's upstanding of these people to want to serve that late in life. I want to retire as soon as flipping possible.

What's this thread's problem with the Green Party?

Sadly he has little chance of winning in such a historically Conservative constituency, but wouldn't it be great.

Jezbollah

What's this thread's problem with the Green Party?

Sadly he has little chance of winning in such a historically Conservative constituency, but wouldn't it be great.

You said it yourself. They have little chance. It's a Tory stronghold that took 60% (35,201) of the votes in the 2015 Election. The Green Party candidate took 5% (2,790).

sohois

Is the British Green Party as much of a joke as the US one?

Not nearly as much. They still have some silly anti science positions like their stances on nuclear power and animal testing but you won't find lunatics like Jill Stein taking up prominent positions. They've had an MP since 2010, who is also the party leader, Caroline Lucas.

But between Labour and the Lib Dems there really isn't room for a third left wing party.

Jezbollah

The Green Party did pretty well in the last election no? Or maybe I'm thinking of a london mayoral one, idk.

The Greens actually increased their vote share from 0.9% (265k) to 3.8% (1.157m) between 2010 and 2015 General Elections - however they still had only one elected MP in both contests, in the very liberal Brighton Pavilion constituency.

The only person who can beat the successor of Cameron in the Witney by-election is Leffman, the Lib Dem candidate. Endorsing the Green candidate actually makes it more likely Cameron wins.

Nicktendo86

The Greens actually increased their vote share from 0.9% (265k) to 3.8% (1.157m) between 2010 and 2015 General Elections - however they still had only one elected MP in both contests, in the very liberal Brighton Pavilion constituency.

Which is a constituency in trouble with the boundary review so there is a very likely chance the greens will have no MPs come 2020.

Izuna

Banned
Why would anyone in the UK vote Green while Labour is led by Jeremy Corbyn?

Why would anyone in the UK vote Labour while it is led by Jeremy Corbyn? Oh, that's right, not enough would.

In the words of a random Mars City scientist:
"I gotta get out of here."

I mean, this is a pretty damn accurate portrayal of the last few months of UK politics?

Well, Sadiq became Mayor while Zach got detention because his mates were being racist... and Brexit happened. Corbyn had a tantrum and all the other kids got a time out, then May "somehow" become PM after David Cameron got suspended for hitting the red button.

The only person who can beat the successor of Cameron in the Witney by-election is Leffman, the Lib Dem candidate. Endorsing the Green candidate actually makes it more likely Cameron wins.
What if that is the plan? Make the locals so disgusted that a foreigner is telling them what to do whilst being disgusted at the idea of voting for fascists they vote non-CON, non-wasters (green, loony, lonny, ind etc etc). Plus he appears to help his brother....

Well, Sadiq became Mayor while Zach got detention because his mates were being racist... and Brexit happened. Corbyn had a tantrum and all the other kids got a time out, then May "somehow" become PM after David Cameron got suspended for hitting the red button.

And May, after becoming PM, immediately proceeded to try and throw out as many foreigners as possible.

Her likeness in this video is eerily accurate

Toxi

Banned
Even if you don't like the UK Green Party, I don't think it's surprising or wrong that Sanders would endorse a family member.

Ithil

I hear Trump by contrast has endorsed the Standing At The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party.

Bzi2hJ_IQAAth0A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom