• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy architectural plans that never saw the light of day

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukeoflegs

Not super crazy but I always preferred the United Architects proposal for WTC more than what we got.
194X_WTC_UnitedArchitects.jpg

Is that building doing the pee pee dance?

Also great thread topic, lots of interesting buildings and ideas I never heard of.

Mii

Banned
Some more NYC historical what-could-have-beens:

Proposed design for Grand Central Station from the group that did the original Penn Station:

The original design for the land used for the Rockefeller Center when it meant to have space for the Metropolitan Opera:

Back when everyone thought the train would be entirely replaced by cars, the proposed replacement for Grand Central Station, a tower from I.M. Pei:

Timbuktu

Le Corbusier was both a force for good and an inspiration for evil.

His ideas about interior design and house architecture were revolutionary to the point of being incredibly fashionable even today, but he also unleashed a tidal wave of absolutely dreadful Unités d'Habitation. As a design aficionado, I'll go as far as to say that Brutalism brutalizes human nature.

You can't just blame Le Corb for all the social ills associated subsequently with 'brutalism.' There weren't going to be a happy solution for all in post war rehousing in Britain given the resources. Brutalist buildings have come around to be seen as pretty cool places to live, especially if they are refurbed and gentrified like the Barbican.

AlexBasch

Is it silly to say that some of those buildings look absolutely scary, despite not being "terrifying" or something like that?

That Isaac Newton Cenotaph looks like something straight of science fiction horror.

Mii

Banned
Another NYC: Donald Trump's Television City. The plan, discussed in 'The Art of the Deal', was a redevelopment on the upper west side and would have had the world's tallest building. His goal was to keep NBC in NYC instead of having them leave for New Jersey. Trump's efforts, while they didn't result in the intended development, did lead to NBC feeling pressure to stay in NYC at the Rockefeller Center.

Not crazy compared to some here, but perhaps one of the older and more famous ones, Hartmann's proposal for the Great Gate of Kiev:

Hartmann_--_Plan_for_a_City_Gate-550px.jpg

Probably the only one to even have a song composed about it.

Plum

Not super crazy but I always preferred the United Architects proposal for WTC more than what we got.
194X_WTC_UnitedArchitects.jpg

I know we shouldn't ever forget, but thank god the New York skyline doesn't have a massive garish 9/11 right now.

DekuLink

In my home city (Dortmund) there were plans to replace the central station

with the "Ufo":
9Ii1mkO.jpg

These plans were scrapped rather fast.
There were similar plans in Stuttgart, Stuttgart 21, and building already started before it was scrapped due to heavy resistance by the citizens.
The central station was supposed to go underground:
From
e3FmWTs.jpg

to:
F4XPTBq.jpg

/I guess those are not that crazy :|
Why stop the second one? That looks beautiful

Fauv

Along the same lines of that plan to dam the Mediterranean was the Reber Plan which was a proposal to build a land bridge from San Francisco to Oakland and several other dams to split San Francisco Bay into smaller freshwater lakes.

It's a good thing it never happened because later studies showed that it would ecologically destroy the Bay and the smaller lakes probably would have just dried up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom