• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: "Trump-Size Idea for a New President: Build Something Inspiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Here’s how President-elect Trump could unify a bitterly divided America, provide well-paying jobs to many of the millions of disaffected workers who voted for him, and lift the economy, stock market and tax rolls.

All he needs to do is what he presumably does best: build something.

And I don’t mean a few miles of asphalt or a paint job on a rusting bridge.

Build something awe-inspiring. Something Americans can be proud of. Something that will repay the investment many times over for generations to come.

Build the modern-day equivalent of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Hoover Dam, the Lincoln Tunnel or the Timberline Lodge. Or even, given Mr. Trump’s passion for the sport, another Bethpage State Park Black Course — the first public golf course to host the prestigious United States Open.
Continue reading the main story

All of these are Depression-era New Deal public works projects started under President Franklin D. Roosevelt that are still in use.

Can anyone name even one infrastructure project from President Obama’s $800 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act? I didn’t think so.

In fairness to Mr. Obama, Republicans in Congress bitterly opposed his public works spending plans, and he lamented there were too few “shovel ready” projects.

That didn’t stop F.D.R. His Public Works Administration and Works Progress Administration, using combinations of public and private money, solicited proposals from states and cities, hired millions of workers and eventually built 78,000 bridges, 650,000 miles of roads, 700 miles of airport runways, 13,000 playgrounds and 125,000 military and civilian buildings, including more than 40,000 schools — in most cases to high standards of quality and design.
Photo

The Golden Gate Bridge under construction. The bridge was completed in 1937, in the Great Depression, during the presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Credit Hulton Archive/Getty Images

The federal government built the La Guardia, Ronald Reagan Washington National and Los Angeles International airports, the Upper Mississippi locks and dams, the Bonneville power project on the Columbia River, the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge in New York, and the Florida Keys Overseas Highway. Most are still in use today. To a large degree, this is the infrastructure that made America great, to borrow Mr. Trump’s catchphrase.

“Our airports are like from a third-world country,” Mr. Trump said at Hofstra University during the first presidential debate. “You land at La Guardia, you land at Kennedy, you land at LAX, you land at Newark, and you come in from Dubai and Qatar and you see these incredible — you come in from China, you see these incredible airports, and you land — we’ve become a third-world country.”

Who could disagree? Hillary Clinton also called for a big increase in infrastructure spending.

“The single best thing the federal government can do to promote economic growth is to repair and build the transportation network, the highways, railroads and airports,” said Roger Noll, an emeritus professor of economics at Stanford and a senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research. “It’s been neglected for 30 years.”

For a sense of what might be possible, I asked Mr. McNichol to pretend he had just been tapped as Mr. Trump’s new infrastructure czar and to come up with a list of his top 10 infrastructure projects, balanced between red and blue states. Most are shovel-ready, or close to it. Here’s what he suggested, along with estimated costs:

■ Hudson River rail tunnel: The Northeast Corridor desperately needs another rail link connecting Manhattan and northern New Jersey. The current overcrowded tunnel is over 100 years old and was severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Cost: $23.9 billion.

■ California high-speed rail: America’s first modern high-speed rail project would connect San Francisco and Los Angeles, about 400 miles apart, in under three hours. Cost: $65 billion.

■ The Gordie Howe International Bridge: A rebounding Detroit needs another link to Canada. The privately owned Ambassador Bridge, which connects Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, serves over three million vehicles a year and is one of the busiest border crossings in North America. Cost: $2.1 billion.

■ Project Clean Lake: Seven new sewage and water tunnels would rescue Cleveland’s antiquated lines, which are overwhelmed by even moderate rainfall and feed contaminated water into Lake Erie. Picture pristine beaches and fishing, swimming and kayaking along a rejuvenated North Coast. Cost: $3 billion.

■ Northeast Corridor maglev: Traveling at 300 miles per hour on a cushion of air, magnetically levitated trains could cut the commute from New York to Washington to an hour and render the painfully slow Acela obsolete. Cost: $100 billion.

■ Miami sea wall: Miami is one of the cities most vulnerable to rising sea levels and ocean surges. If the Atlantic Ocean rises just five feet, 96 percent of Miami Beach will be submerged. A system of levees, sea walls and storm surge protectors like the Maeslantkering in Rotterdam, the Netherlands — giant sea doors that open and close automatically to protect the harbor — could be both attractive and effective. Miami could be a prototype for other endangered American coastal cities and ports, including Boston; Charleston, S.C.; Galveston, Tex.; Savannah, Ga.; and New Orleans. Cost: $20 billion.

■ Denver I-70 east: Denver is trying to put a section of Interstate 70 underground to reconnect the city’s urban fabric and use four acres of the reclaimed space for parks, bike paths and walks, and farmers’ markets. The green space could be much larger, further reducing pollution. Cost: $1.17 billion.

■ Maryland Purple Line: The Washington metro area suffers from some of the worst traffic congestion in the country. Maryland wants to build more than 16 miles of light rail to link its suburbs to Washington’s existing Metro system (which needs extensive repairs) and Amtrak. Supporters say it would remove 17,000 cars each day from area roads. Cost: $5.6 billion.

■ South Carolina dams: After a single heavy rain in 2015 breached more than 50 dams and caused widespread flooding, the Army Corps of Engineers assessed over 600 dams in South Carolina as either “high” or “significant” hazards. A single large project could modernize the state’s system of dams and water control. Cost: $685 million.

■ Texas bullet train: Even without a federal program, Texans are actively looking for private investors for a high-speed rail link between Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston. Passengers would make the 240-mile, one-stop trip in 90 minutes. If successful, the line could be extended to San Antonio and Austin, covering the so-called Texaplex, which includes 75 percent of the state’s population and is home to 52 Fortune 500 companies. Cost: $10 billion.

The right public works projects, said Mr. Myers-Lipton of San Jose State, would “address the public anger that elected Trump, which is that the regular folks aren’t being taken care of.” During the Depression, “the government built beautiful hotels and golf courses and parks. The vision was, what’s usually for the elite should be for everybody. That’s the power of public works.”

I'd really love it if there was another public works project but I won't hold my breath. In any case, the bolded about what Miami could do for a project is hilariously pathetic considering the president doesn't believe in global warming.

I may pick up this book since it was referenced in the article: THE ROADS THAT BUILD AMERICA: The Incredible Story of the U.S. Interstate System

I know not a single iota about our interstate system and I'm curious enough to learn about it.

Death_star1.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The climate change deniers usually don't deny climate change itself, they deny man's role in the climate change. So the Miami wall isn't necessarily as contradicting as it seems.

Plus it can be used to keep the Cubans and Haitians out.

The last part was a joke.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's.....actually a great idea. The era of America that his supporters think is "great" did a lot of that.

How many states would tell him to fuck off like they did the last time High-speed Rail money was getting thrown around?

Or would the Feds just do it themselves?

DrArchon

I'm sure a Republican Congress would love to see the nat. debt wildly increase to build some big fuck off monument, seeing as they aren't even considering spending money on much needed infrastructure repairs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I expect Trump's version of the Colossus of Rhodes built in New York Harbor instead. He'll knock down the Statue of Liberty to do it because who wants a giant ugly green chick.

The-Colossus-of-Rh_3534739b.jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Wasn't that the idea? To buid something Great, so Great, it could be seen from space? Something smack dab on the border of US and Mexico? Something very high and wide, miles and miles and miles wide, it goes on forever, literally coast to coast? And it wouldn't cost the US tax payer a single dime?

Arkeband

Banned
Here's what will happen:

• Trump rhetoric increases extremism and terrorist recruitment
  • Trump builds the most fantastic yuge thing imaginable
  • Terrorists destroy it
  • Trump declares his own war on terror

KodaRuss

I think he has a chance to do some big things as he is a much different President than we have ever had. I hope he can unify the American people but I doubt it.

br3wnor

I would love to see a major infrastructure push happen but with his proposed tax cuts it's going to be a deficit nightmare. I don't see how he gets Republicans to sign on but it'd be interesting if he gets Democrats to buy in and peels away some moderate R's to pass it.

How many states would tell him to fuck off like they did the last time High-speed Rail money was getting thrown around?

Or would the Feds just do it themselves?

Probably none..DC to Baltimore project is already being researched and they have proposed stations they would want. The Maryland governor is all for it and i doubt DC will oppose. If it happens of course the rest of the NE will want it. It's the most sensible high speed line since it can hit a lot of cities and metro areas if it continues north.

Japan is also funding a chunk of the preliminary research that is going on and agreed to pay some of the construction if it goes forward.

I think he has a chance to do some big things as he is a much different President than we have ever had. I hope he can unify the American people but I doubt it.

So it's up to us on the left to let bygones be bygones and move ahead for the country?

I'm willing to give him a chance to not bring us to utter destruction but his ideas and the people on his cabinet (so far) have a verry different idea of what they want America to look like in ten years.

Deku Tree

Our Airports do look horrible.

Obama should have done more for public works. But for example in NJ Chris Christie rejected the Federal money to improve roads because it required state matching funds and Christie kept saying "the credit card is maxed out"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was also an era of generally high taxation?

Yes and no depending on what we're talking about and when we're talking. FDR greatly increased income tax rates during the depression but his predecessors in the 20s greatly decreased tax rates.

Generally the larger "public works" type projects came under FDR. The "vanity" stuff like Mount Rushmore was under Coolidge.

Karkador

Banned
Our Airports do look horrible.

Obama should have done more for public works. But for example in NJ Chris Christie rejected the Federal money to improve roads because it required state matching funds and Christie kept saying "the credit card is maxed out"

A lot of money was probably funneled into just repairing what we already have, nevermind building new things.

Blader

I'm sure a Republican Congress would love to see the nat. debt wildly increase to build some big fuck off monument, seeing as they aren't even considering spending money on much needed infrastructure repairs.

Republicans only care about the national debt when there's a Democrat in the White House.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How about not doing stupid as fuck vanity projects and I don't know, rebuild the infrastructure?

Edit: Oh they do go into infrastructure. The first excerpt made it sound as if they only wanted a new golden gate bridge or something dumb

Wasn't that the idea? To buid something Great, so Great, it could be seen from space? Something smack dab on the border of US and Mexico? Something very high and wide, miles and miles and miles wide, it goes on forever, literally coast to coast? And it wouldn't cost the US tax payer a single dime?

Yeah, I was a little confused reading that article. It reads like they completely forgot about one of Trump's most notorious and talked-about campaign promises.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trump would just build a huge gold statue of himself. With huge hands, and probably punching a minority.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised The NY Times said that nobody could name a project from the Reinvestment Act when they are building a new bridge right in NY with money from that:
http://www.newnybridge.com/economic-impact/

But with projects like this we also have to contend with the fact that contractors and public employees alike are constantly engaging in fraud, waste and abuse. That bridge is going to cost more than the proposed $5.4 price tag. Look at the Big Dig.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120820/TRANSPORTATION/120829995

It was also unanimously agreed upon within just three days. I always wonder who is getting kickbacks from these projects. I believe this one was considered an "emergency bid," which bypasses the normal bidding process in NYS and requires fewer or no additional bidders. I am desperately trying to find where I read the part about it being an emergency bid, so I'll continue looking.

I'm a big fan of infrastructure projects, but FWAC is a huge issue.

■ Miami sea wall: Miami is one of the cities most vulnerable to rising sea levels and ocean surges. If the Atlantic Ocean rises just five feet, 96 percent of Miami Beach will be submerged. A system of levees, sea walls and storm surge protectors like the Maeslantkering in Rotterdam, the Netherlands — giant sea doors that open and close automatically to protect the harbor — could be both attractive and effective. Miami could be a prototype for other endangered American coastal cities and ports, including Boston; Charleston, S.C.; Galveston, Tex.; Savannah, Ga.; and New Orleans. Cost: $20 billion.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

"Miami, as we know it today, is doomed," says Harold Wanless, the chairman of the department of geological sciences at the University of Miami. "It's not a question of if. It's a question of when."
Even worse, South Florida sits above a vast and porous limestone plateau. "Imagine Swiss cheese, and you'll have a pretty good idea what the rock under southern Florida looks like," says Glenn Landers, a senior engineer at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This means water moves around easily – it seeps into yards at high tide, bubbles up on golf courses, flows through underground caverns, corrodes building foundations from below. "Conventional sea walls and barriers are not effective here," says Robert Daoust, an ecologist at ARCADIS, a Dutch firm that specializes in engineering solutions to rising seas. "Protecting the city, if it is possible, will require innovative solutions."

i'd be all for trump fixing our infrastructure and creating lots of jobs in the process. however, i'd want him to find the money within the existing budget. there's so much bloat and waste. get rid of it and invest that money back into the country and it's people. we all know the chances of that happening though...

mnannola

I could possibly take back some of the horrible things I said about Trump if he started investing big bucks in a mission to Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom