• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 1,320 ton statue of Guan Yu completed in Jingzhou city, China

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never even heard of this before. Amazing how something so massive can never even make a blip on my radar.

guan_yu8.jpg
guan_yu7.jpg
guan_yu4.jpg

Jingzhou's Guan Yu Park was designed to revolve around the concept and character for righteousness (义), Sina reports. In the middle stands the legend himself, at 48 meters tall, atop a 10-meter-tall pedestal. Over 4,000 strips of bronze have been glued over the 1,320 ton sculpture that carries an intimidating axe-like weapon called the "Green Dragon Crescent Blade" which weighs another 136 tons, according to CCTV News.

The pedestal has been built to look like an ancient warship, standing proud on his warship, Guan Yu is portrayed as a fearless warrior, ready to battle against the waves. By walking up a staircase into the pedastal, visitors can soon visit the 8,000 square meter Guan Yu Museum inside.

Most netizens on Weibo can't help but be impressed by the majestic statue, while a few have posted some disparaging remarks about its sheer size and awesomeness
"I think this statue is a complete waste of time and money. Why does it have to be so huge?" one asked.
"I doubt Guan Yu would approve of the fact that the government splashed out so much cash on constructing this sculpture. He advocated "justice" for the entire society," another argued.
"From what I've gathered, the statue has brought many advantages, such as stimulating the economy and promoting Chinese culture. I don't see why people are so upset about this," one web user wrote.

For those unfamiliar with ancient Chinese history, Guan Yu, or Lord Guan, is a heroic Chinese general from the Three Kingdoms period, who was immortalized in one of China's most famous books and turned into a god. While his physical appearance is absent from historical records, he is often remembered as a robust man with a long beard.

China getting excited for Civilization VI by building real life Wonders

Kinyou

Kind of funny that he's facing away from all those houses. I suppose the rich people live on the other side of the shore.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yo Japan you going to take that? Time for a skyscraper sized statue of Honda Tadakatsu standing over Tokyo or something like a new version of the Colossus of Rhodes.

latest

That's a lot of bronze.

Gonna be green after awhile too if they don't take care of the surface

edit: Wait, they probably don't mind if he turns green...

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Wow out of all the videogame characters to get some insanely large statue, they choose some rando from Dynasty Warriors?!?!! How about Mario or Sonic? Master Chief?! Holy shit this is the equivalent of giving a monster sized statue to Carlos from Resident Evil 3.

Tagyhag

Wow out of all the videogame characters to get some insanely large statue, they choose some rando from Dynasty Warriors?!?!! How about Mario or Sonic? Master Chief?! Holy shit this is the equivalent of giving a monster sized statue to Carlos from Resident Evil 3.

Guan Yu was a real person.

I honestly can't tell if this post is legit or not...

... So I choose to assume it is.

ciD_Vain

lol

Lebron

.......I can't tell if you're serious or not

That's awesomely huge.

Is there a Tokugawa Ieyasu or Nobunaga Oda statue in Japan?

SvpUpZh.gif

Moskalova

Remind me that statue in Russia

The Motherland Calls (Russian: Родина-мать зовёт! Rodina-Mat' zovyot!), also called Homeland-Mother, Homeland-Mother Is Calling, simply The Motherland, or The Mamayev Monument, is a statue in Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia, commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad. It was designed by sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich and structural engineer Nikolai Nikitin, and declared the largest statue in the world in 1967. Today, it is the tallest statue of a woman in the world, not including pedestals.

When the memorial was dedicated in 1967 it was the tallest sculpture in the world, measuring 85 metres (279 ft) from the tip of its sword to the top of the plinth. The figure itself measures 52 metres (171 ft), and the sword 33 metres (108 ft).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.