• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 1,320 ton statue of Guan Yu completed in Jingzhou city, China

Status
Not open for further replies.

my6765490

Wow out of all the videogame characters to get some insanely large statue, they choose some rando from Dynasty Warriors?!?!! How about Mario or Sonic? Master Chief?! Holy shit this is the equivalent of giving a monster sized statue to Carlos from Resident Evil 3.

As a Chinese guy, I am not sure if I should be insulted or just laugh at the ignorance..

studyguy

guan-yu-chi-bi-o.gif

Fuck yeah

Wow out of all the videogame characters to get some insanely large statue, they choose some rando from Dynasty Warriors?!?!! How about Mario or Sonic? Master Chief?! Holy shit this is the equivalent of giving a monster sized statue to Carlos from Resident Evil 3.

LOL...i'm pretty sure this is a parody.

Makes me want to go back and replay Destiny of an Emperor. Guan Yu was the bee's knees in that game.

The status is dope, too, of course. =)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Normally when I hear "gigantic statue" I think of someone trying way too hard, but this statue looks really cool. It somehow manages to look classy.

japan should counter by creating a giant pikachu statue.

Nah, they already have a fucking life size Gundam protecting the motherland.

But it's pretty cool. Like someone else joked, my favorite Dynasty Warriors character. Though I admit it is a bit overly big, not to mention those homes nearby having to stare at the back of it. If they had a nice view before it must suck now.

Lmao

Superman0

Should have a built a statue for Zhuge Liang, he is da real MVP. Dude manages to keep a weak faction afloat against two juggernauts like Wei and Wu.

Nameless

Big Boss is more important to history and a better video game character. Naturally a better choice for a 1300 ton statue.

massoluk

Banned
Should have a built a statue for Zhuge Liang, he is da real MVP. Dude manages to keep a weak faction afloat against two juggernauts like Wei and Wu.

1. Left the most strategic city to Guan Yu, who then foolishly lose it as well as his life
2. Had no plan B after said Guan Yu debacle, leading to decline of Shu
3. Wasting vast resources on numerous and poorly planned attempts to invade Wei
4. Didn't stop Liu Bei from invading Wu
5. Left Shu to the even more incompetent Jiang Wei

Superman0

1. Left the most strategic city to Guan Yu, who then foolishly lose it as well as his life
2. Had no plan B after said Guan Yu debacle, leading to decline of Shu
3. Wasting vast resources on numerous and poorly planned attempts to invade Wei
4. Didn't stop Liu Bei from invading Wu
5. Left Shu to the even more incompetent Jiang Wei

Yeah, I am not blaming some of that on him. Guan Yu didn't listen to order and Liu Bei didn't heed his advice because he wants to get revenge against Wu. That is totally out of Zhuge control. Shu was the weakest out of the three kingdom and surprisingly never conquered when he was alive.

Not saying he is perfect, since he isn't a great field commander and does a poor job selecting talent. With that said, he was the best strategist considering all the odds stacked against him.

Seeing the posts in the thread, and as a person who loosely practices Taoism (one of the major religions you will find in East Asia) I want to chime in that the part about him being "immortalised as a god" deserves more emphasis. He is represented as a "God of War" in the religion, and Taoists generally pray to him for protection and smooth sailing in our endeavors, with many temples built in his name. A native Chinese could probably offer a better perspective on the cultural significance he has, but this religious significance is one of the key reasons why you would see him represented over other figures from the 3 Kingdoms era.

4Tran

As a person who loosely practices Taoism, I want to chime in that the part about him being "immortalised as a god" deserves more emphasis. He is represented as a "God of War" in the religion, and Taoists generally pray to him for protection and smooth sailing in our endeavors. A native Chinese could probably offer a better perspective on the cultural significance he has, but this religious significance is one of the key reasons why you would see him represented over other figures from the 3 Kingdoms era.
Guan Yu isn't just immortalized as a god, he's actively worshiped as one as well. As the god of honor Guan Yu can be found in police stations (in Hong Kong) and among the triads in roughly equal measure. He's not nearly as popular as the Buddha or Guanyin though, so they have many more (and much bigger) statues.

Guan Yu isn't just immortalized as a god, he's actively worshiped as one as well. As the god of honor Guan Yu can be found in police stations (in Hong Kong) and among the triads in roughly equal measure. He's not nearly as popular as the Buddha or Guanyin though, so they have many more (and much bigger) statues.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to get across as well; thank for putting it in a better way.

SRG01

Seeing the posts in the thread, and as a person who loosely practices Taoism (one of the major religions you will find in East Asia) I want to chime in that the part about him being "immortalised as a god" deserves more emphasis. He is represented as a "God of War" in the religion, and Taoists generally pray to him for protection and smooth sailing in our endeavors, with many temples built in his name. A native Chinese could probably offer a better perspective on the cultural significance he has, but this religious significance is one of the key reasons why you would see him represented over other figures from the 3 Kingdoms era.

Mmm, it's more Chinese folklore and practices than Taoism itself. Certainly there is syncretism with deified historical figures and localized religions, but Guan Yu -- strictly speaking -- is not a Taoist deity.

I could get into a huge discussion into what Taoism is but that's for another thread...

WarRock

I went to a couple of kung fu schools (not in China, mind you) where you had to bow to a Guan Yu portrait. Always explained as the God of War but still a righteous figure, sometimes with a tale where he beheaded some dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.