• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 1,320 ton statue of Guan Yu completed in Jingzhou city, China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatly

I'd just like to say that we should be past the time where we are making un-ecological monuments. We're already wasting a ton of resources on normal living that we really don't need these things anymore.

Wish they had better use of their time, but, you know, China don't care.

Are tourist attractions like these suddenly a unique thing to China?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And he was a real horrible person. Hate how the romance of the 3 kingdoms makes shu out to be some heroic just kingdom whereas historically were the worst people.
Please elaborate.

Man, Guan Yu wasn't even all that, though. Zhang Fei the real beast.

From what I gather Lǚ Bù was considered the strongest warrior in one on one combat. He was utterly stupid strategically though.

Guan Yu is revered as a god in china mostly because people view him as the impersonification of the perfect confucianistic vassal. He was deeply loyal and still always fought to uphold his ideals. On top of that he was a fierce warrior with supreme skills both tactically and strategically. At least thats how he is depicted.

Please elaborate.

People think the fictional guan yu is the same as the real they are nothing. Majority of people here just know him from dynasty warrior, the novel dynasty warriors is based on has nothing to do with history. For example zhang fei was a horrible person, he was known to commit crimes, a horrible drunk and a rapist. He kiddnaped xiaohou yuans grand daughter daughter who was 13-14 around the time and forced her to marry him and bear his children. Zhang Bao, Zhang Shao, and the two Empresses Zhang. Liu Bei in history was a deserter he betrayed his own people multiple times. I could go on and on about how wrongly shu is potrayed in the games. Its like potraying hitler as a hero. You should do some research on the history it will be a real eye opener and is really interesting.

In history Lu Bu wasn't some kind of ultimate warrior he wasn't even very skilled. The closest person in history would probably be Xu Huang of Wei.

Status
Not open for further replies.