• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philippines president Duterte: "If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

But that is what has been promised. If he'll keep his promise is another affair, and honestly I am very sure he will fail on getting rid of crime and corruption in only 6 months. He seem to also have backtracked on it by expressing himself with different words.

I don't know what he promised. I know that in a very recent speech he said: Kill drug addicts.

It's as simple as that. That is what this topic is about.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can we have US Democrats be the world's dominators please?

People who are still fine with lax weapon control, weak social ensurances and low ecological awareness? Please no. If the Democrats were just Bernie Sanders-like people I could live with that, but Clinton-democrats? They'd be very close to the conservative / slightly-right parties CDU & CSU here in Germany, which is not to my liking.

Pachimari

I don't know what he promised. I know that in a very recent speech he said: Kill drug addicts.

It's as simple as that. That is what this topic is about.

Yes, but I felt you were kind of dismissing my post, when I said his plan is for drug addicts to go to rehab, because that's what he wants. He cares a lot about the people. But yes, he did say "kill drug addicts" and that is very wrong.

I can just imagine his spokesperson saying that the International media have misunderstood him again haha.

Bustanen

I'm liking some posts about him too, but those are not about the killing of criminals or the curfew or the banning of alcohol etc. He is doing good things, but this is not one of them.
Good things like joking about rape, journalists deserving to be killed because they are "sons of bitches"?

This guy is a fucking looney.

Pachimari

Good things like joking about rape, journalists deserving to be killed because they are "sons of bitches"?

This guy is a fucking looney.

I didn't say that. Because that was very wrong too. He is saying a lot of nonsense really. And I dislike that.

Also I must have missed this quote: “If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.” - he seems to be all over the place.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yes, but I felt you were kind of dismissing my post, when I said his plan is for drug addicts to go to rehab, because that's what he wants. He cares a lot about the people. But yes, he did say "kill drug addicts" and that is very wrong.

I can just imagine his spokesperson saying that the International media have misunderstood him again haha.

How does he care about people? Because he hasn't demanded they be murdered by their countrymen yet ? Man you have a real interesting idea of what caring about people means.

Chuckie

Except it is apparently not what he wants. Maybe he promised rehabs for the addicts, but now he thinks they ought to be killed.

Why build rehabs for corpses?

Pachimari

Except it is apparently not what he wants. Maybe he promised rehabs for the addicts, but now he thinks they ought to be killed.

Why build rehabs for corpses?

I just read the quote as I missed it before and stand corrected.

How does he care about people? Because he hasn't demanded they be murdered by their countrymen yet ? Man you have a real interesting idea of what caring about people means.

I'm just trying to explain the Filipino thinking here, and I am not defending the guy. How he cares about the people is through other ways. One thing is, the citizens in general are sick of these drug lords and wants them gone, so he'll take care of them. That's one thing they are very happy about. Another thing is, that he will stop the import of rice, and let the farmers make the rice themselves, and make the agriculture strive again, as they are very good at it. He wants to give a salary raise to people. He wants to implement and ID system like we have in the West. He wants higher pay for people, by demanding higher taxes from the rich and take less from the poor so that the middle gets strong. He wants to fight the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group in the Philippines who recently took Canadian and Norwegian hostages; the last regime failed and let one of them die, while Duterte's people got a Filipino hostage out of there. He wants the children away from the streets because they are in danger, and trust me, the children really are in danger with the traffic over there. And they are looking into fixing the traffical problems like implementing a train system partly funded by China, and maybe implement carts in the air. There's a lot of good things this guy is doing, unfortunately, his bad stand on crimes are overshadowing and overweighting all the other things. But I'm just trying to explain how the Filipinos see it, and to explain why he is so popular among the people.

Matty77

Cannot believe their is a defense force for this. No intentions or reasoning can justify calls for mass killing and if you condone, participate your doing evil. I am one of the most morally grey people I know but some things really are just right or wrong and this wrong.

As for all the "but he's great at these other things" justifications is the same as the old saw about Hitler having the trains running on time. No matter how much good you do in other areas some sins cannot be washed away regardless.

Guys garbage and let's just hope the public is good enough to not actually follow his suggestions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I support him too but for different reasons. As I am against his methods of fighting crime and how the police handles the minors. But it's just an entire different world there in the Philippines.

Fool. Communists or drug dealers, it's an excuse to kill journalists and political opponents, or people who aren't liked in their communities due to their race or beliefs or sexual orientation. Doesn't matter what the Philippines are like. People will kill innocents and be protected because otherwise it would be spun as the police protecting a "criminal".

It is no different than a guy in India being killed by a mob over having supposedly eaten a cow.

Pachimari

Fool. Communists or drug dealers, it's an excuse to kill journalists and political opponents, or people who aren't liked in their communities due to their race or beliefs or sexual orientation. Doesn't matter what the Philippines are like. People will kill innocents and be protected because otherwise it would be spun as the police protecting a "criminal".

It is no different than a guy in India being killed by a mob over having supposedly eaten a cow.

I don't know what the point is here? Yes I agree with you?

Ty4on

Many south East Asian countries are very harsh on drugs . Having said that this a new level .

Yeah, way tougher than western countries.
Indonesia:
DrugsWarning.jpg

Taiwan (Republic of China):
p4c-cropped.jpg

Kinyou

During the campaign, Duterte said 100,000 people would die in his crackdown, with so many dead bodies dumped in Manila Bay that fish there would grow fat from feeding on them.
That's... that's an unusual campaign promise.

Moff

I don't defend him when it comes to the topic at hand though. I'm very much against him on that. I were probably his biggest hater during the election even.

some actions are undefensible.
fascism works like that, they seduce the people so they turn their heads away from the cruelty.
did you vote for him? you wrote you support him.
I appreciate your first hand input from a loval GAFFER, but this will not end well, history teaches us that he will leave your country in a much worse condition.

Pachimari

some actions are undefensible.
fascism works like that, they seduce the people so they turn their heads away from the cruelty.
did you vote for him? you wrote you support him.
I appreciate your first hand input from a loval GAFFER, but this will not end well, history teaches us that he will leave your country in a much worse condition.
I didn't vote for him, because I'm not a Filipino citizen. I'm half-Filipino but don't live there. But if I could vote I had voted for Santiago Miriam. Duterte would never get my vote.

If he will leave it in a worse condition, time will tell. But the people cannot afford to be split and angry at each other, because they have been through their whole history. But I hope they will hold Duterte accountable for all his misdoings. The vice-president will surely take a stand against him, but it's not like she have much power when he didn't pick her for his government. If it had been Mar Roxas or Binay, sure it would turn to shit. He is trying to get the Filipino people to stand together and make them stronger, because they are very divided by region, by the Aquino Vs. Marcos, by the Marcos years etc. I appreciate that he wants the best for the people, but he is going about it in the wrong way. He even wants corrupt politicians out of jail and he let communists into the government, which is weird when he wants to end corruption lol.

krazen

I think you guys are lashing out at Madridista when he's just trying to explain the mentality.

On the flip Madrid you gotta stop saying, "Yeah, but he will (insert good thing here)" when he's got crazy soundbites as above. He's PROMISED many things and politicians have a tendency not to fulfill things they say on the stump.

Right now he's just a demagogue ...if he turns into a harsh but compassionate president or m Stalin Take 2, it remains to be seen. But these soundbites dont bode well for anybody in the country.

Pachimari

I think you guys are lashing out at Madridista when he's just trying to explain the mentality.

On the flip Madrid you gotta stop saying, "Yeah, but he will (insert good thing here)" when he's got crazy soundbites as above. He's PROMISED many things and politicians have a tendency not to fulfill things they say on the stump.

Right now he's just a demagogue ...if he turns into a harsh but compassionate president or m Stalin Take 2, it remains to be seen. But these soundbites dont bode well for anybody in the country.

I agree. These soundbites are terrible, and I honestly don't think he will fulfill his promises. I also think the Filipino people will turn a blind eye to it. But part of the people are already ready to lash out at the president if he doesn't fulfill his promises. So we'll see what happens.

I know a girl who is all about this dude and was super excited for when he is sworn in. We'll see how this goes. Those are some interesting comments, I'll say that much.

KonradLaw

Here is what people like you never seem to argument in your whole,"Oh you don't understand the people" or blah blah blah hand waving is what happens when there are no drug dealers to bust and the country doesn't suddenly turn around because the problems were deeper than that? Its never just drug dealers that cause all the problems and it seems this dudes best ideas are just kill people you don't want to deal with or have an issue with.

So what happens when there are no more major drug dealers? What happens when the crack down on addicts is over? Who does he turn on next because there always needs to be a scapegoat for these type of guys for their bull shit to keep working, someone to blame for all the problems. Is he going to turn on the lgbt community? or perhaps religious or ethnic minorities? Maybe the disabled or mentally ill? Or perhaps he'll just turn on his own people and just murdering them for daring to question. Man this happens time and time again and their apologists like you acting like history isn't going to repeat itself and a cold blooded ego maniac and his insane plans are going to work out in the long term.
I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the .....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know why you guys keep trying to draw parallels to Trump. Trump is just a self-aggrandizing blowhard. Duterte is a vicious, violent and dangerous madman.

Commo

Banned
Don't drug users usually kill themselves off, especially heroin users? Then again, this isn't just about drug users, it's also about the drug sellers who are typically smart enough not to do drugs, but are screwing up society by taking advantage of the vulnerable.

Also, since when were people against this?

Is it because it ties into vigilantism and doesn't need the help of the taxpayers' law enforcement? But don't the same people who would rather have law enforcement handle these things also complain about law enforcement not doing their jobs correctly?

Maz

How bad is the drug problem? It must be real bad for the people to vote for someone like him. I seriously know nothing about the Philippines

Pachimari

How bad is the drug problem? It must be real bad for the people to vote for someone like him. I seriously know nothing about the Philippines

It's insanely bad and out of control. The drug sellers take use of the addicts and messes up society basically. The Aquino regime failed to do anything about it. Which is why they are now using drastic methods.

I had never heard of this guy, so I did some research a while back. I thought he said that he, personally, would help addicts with treatment and getting back into productive society if they contacted him. When did that change?

Addicts should not be killed, absolutely not. Violent dealers and druglords I am more apathetic towards, especially when they have a country living in terrorized warzone.

Pachimari

I had never heard of this guy, so I did some research a while back. I thought he said that he, personally, would help addicts with treatment and getting back into productive society if they contacted him. When did that change?

Addicts should not be killed, absolutely not. Violent dealers and druglords I am more apathetic towards, especially when they have a country living in terrorized warzone.
Well, last night, lol.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

i guess the reasoning is that if there are no addicts who are the drug dealers going to sell to?

Commo

Banned
From friends with family there - very bad.

So then maybe this is the method to get things done for the Philippines? Just because this method won't work and/or isn't wanted in other societies, doesn't mean it's a bad measure for this society.

A particular mindset would say that the drug users/sellers should be educated/rehabilitated, but I'd say that the Philippines is so far gone that it wouldn't be effective (and in my opinion, isn't effective to begin with and is just a huge waste of taxpayers' dollars).

In my opinion, I would appreciate it if everyone actually responded with an elaborate explanation as to why this is wrong rather than having a drive-by post of something along the lines of "This is sickening," because it does get quite exasperating seeing the same old posts over and over. I'd rather see a discussion with valid points from both sides.

A good start to an actual argument is the whole "kill drug users/sellers" mindset could lead to other things politicians will point the finger at to turn away eyes on themselves.

EDIT: HStallion posted a good example of what I mean-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208851712#post208851712

UrbanRats

A particular mindset would say that the drug users/sellers should be educated/rehabilitated, but I'd say that the Philippines is so far gone that it wouldn't be effective (and in my opinion, isn't effective to begin with and is just a huge waste of taxpayers' dollars).

Yeah because the War on Drugs is the best example of rehabilitating and educating drug addicts and drug dealers.

Whatever problem the Philippines may be going through, however harsh, arming citizens, telling them to "go and kill any addict you know" isn't any kind of solution.
Even if you thought any drug dealer and drug addict deserved death (which is an absurd belief, btw) how do you even make sure that people won't exploit this to their benefit, just to have an excuse to go out and kill whoever they want?

Dennis

Banned
If the president says: "Go ahead and kill them" do you actually get prosecuted if you go kill a known drug addict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom