• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodrigo Duterte tells Philippines police to kill his son if drug allegations are true

Ac30

Where does it say that?

Why do people keep talking about trials? The word trial is not used anywhere in the original article. Is something missing here or are people just making stuff up?

if drug trafficking allegations against him are proven true.

I interpreted that as him potentially getting one - or at the very least the benefit of the doubt, which none of Duterte's other victims got.

That plus it wouldn't exactly be a surprise if the allegations turned up "false".

Yep.

ShinMaruku

When keepin' it authoritarian goes way too wrong.

Jesus dude

Edit: Seriously, that is hardcore. Even most despots, insane royalty and corrupt leaders throughout the ages would say "wait a minute".
Stalin did the same thing. But he was master trolling. He said the Nazi could keep his son since his son was so incompetent to get caught. Whoever they never killed him because nobody ducks with Stalin.

I interpreted that as him potentially getting one - or at the very least the benefit of the doubt, which none of Duterte's other victims got.

Yep.

I don't know, to me it reads "if you catch him, kill him". Not kill him later, or turn him in. Besides, if some police officer just went over and smoked him and said "yes we caught him" do you think Duterte is going to suddenly go after the cop after his entire campaign has been based on trying to make cops feel safe killing whoever they want?

You guys are reading way too much into this. Cops have always been judge, jury, and executioner over there. As soon as someone wants him dead, that *is* the "trial"

Always said that a person has to be a nutter to even desire to run a nation. This guy is a nutter unchecked running a nation.

Most leaders would just be like him if they could get away with it.

Javier23

Banned
Every Filipino you know know is a heartless uncaring monster
I guess that goes for all I know too, who also support him.

The way I see it, writing those people off as heartless uncaring monsters doesn't solve their problems as much as electing this guy to power, in their own point of view. And when you're used to the kind of shit people there have become used to, they'll take anything that will solve their problems, even if it comes in the form of a psychopathic murderer with a messiah complex.

I'm not American, but I'm pretty sure that writing off every Trump supporter as a deplorable idiot won't help the country as much as trying to understand their grievances so you can find the best solution. Which certainly wasn't electing Trump, but employing your same logic I should be happy if the US disappeared overnight. As an European it could certainly save me from having to live through a thermonuclear war with us in the middle.

Mahonay

Banned
I guess that goes for all I know too, who also support him.

The way I see it, writing those people off as heartless uncaring monsters doesn't solve their problems as much as electing this guy to power, in their own point of view. And when you're used to the kind of shit people there have become used to, they'll take anything that will solve their problems, even if it comes in the form of a psychopathic murderer with a messiah complex.

I'm not American, but I'm pretty sure that writing off every Trump supporter as a deplorable idiot won't help the country as much as trying to understand their grievances so you can find the best solution. Which certainly wasn't electing Trump, but employing your same logic I should be happy if the US disappeared overnight. As an European it could certainly save me from having to live through a thermonuclear war with us in the middle.
A majority of the country didn't vote for Trump.

Shoeless

I'm just going to assume that Duterte has some wily 8th dimensional chess plan in place where he proves to the people of the Philippines--and the world--that he's dead serious about all this.

He'll have his son lined up in front of a firing squad, with a cover on his head, and executed, with his remains to be immediately cremated.

Meanwhile, strictly off the books, some guy is flown into permanent exile at some Manhattan apartment, who bears an uncanny resemblance to the now cremated son, except that he has a mustache, and his entire family, who also resemble the executed son's family, and even accidentally answer to those names in unguarded moments, live quiet, upper class life in a Trump penthouse suite.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's easy to say that when you know there is no way he will be found guilty.

Dr.Acula

Banned

From the op:

Rodrigo Duterte has ordered police to kill his eldest son if drug trafficking allegations against him are proven true.

The Philippine President added he would make sure those who carried out the execution would be protected from prosecution.

1) police do not follow orders of the president, and they certainly do not carry out executions.

2) if police could carry out orders to execute people, they wouldn't need protection from prosecution for carrying out a lawful order.

That would be like saying police are protected from prosecution for unlawful confinement when they throw someone in the back of a police car.

Duterte is clearly discussing the extrajudicial execution of his son at the hands of police, under the "proof" of their preliminary investigative findings, not the burden of proof as presided over by the courts.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is the fucking wild part to me. That a lot of Filipinos here in the states seem to actually be fans of this sick madman. Just, what the hell.
Yeah, it's crazy.

Somehow, this asshat has pulled off whatever PR fuckery is required to enter "cult of personality" status among his followers, where otherwise normal people hold up someone on a pedestal and suddenly decide that nothing that person does can ever be wrong. It's the same mentality that you see when people defend famous Youtubers or celebrities that they like. Suddenly, stuff that these people would normally consider disgusting is okay if "that guy they like" is the one doing it. People just come up with all sorts of rationalizations for their idol's behavior. I have no idea how it happens, but it seems increasingly common these days.

I don't believe that all of Duterte's supporters are terrible people. But somehow, they've been convinced that the sick shit that he does is okay.

nded

Yeah, it's crazy.

Somehow, this asshat has pulled off whatever PR fuckery is required to enter "cult of personality" status among his followers, where otherwise normal people hold up someone on a pedestal and suddenly decide that nothing that person does can ever be wrong. It's the same mentality that you see when people defend famous Youtubers or celebrities that they like. Suddenly, stuff that these people would normally consider disgusting is okay if "that guy they like" is the one doing it. People just come up with all sorts of rationalizations for their idol's behavior. I have no idea how it happens, but it seems increasingly common these days.

I don't believe that all of Duterte's supporters are terrible people. But somehow, they've been convinced that the sick shit that he does is okay.

Filipinos literally believe that all drug addicts are basically the zombies from 28 Days Later and that killing them all will bring about the Philippine Renaissance.

Drug addiction is not thought of as an illness, but rather a thing that people choose to do in order to turn themselves into cartoon monsters. Literal bogeymen on whom people can lay the blame for every failing of their society.

Javier23

Banned
A majority of the country didn't vote for Trump.
I am well aware. Someone at some point decided that the system in place to elect him was the more representative though, I'd imagine. Either way, I am not sure of what are you implying here, that we should indeed write off the majority of a country as heartless monsters? Maybe I am placing too much trust on the human condition, but I'd rather just imagine what sort of horrors they must be enduring to support such a monster. Those far away we have never cared about them and I'm not sure that what they deserve now for their choices on top of that is our disgust and hate. Sad thing is at this point I don't even know what could be done. Nobody's gonna presure this guy to drop it. You guys have elected his biggest fan. The world just fucking sucks.

Breads

Banned
If proven true?

Well. At the very least he gets the benefit of the doubt. More than literally thousands slain got.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Filipinos literally believe that all drug addicts are basically the zombies from 28 Days Later and that killing them all will bring about the Philippine Renaissance.

Drug addiction is not thought of as an illness, but rather a thing that people choose to do in order to turn themselves into cartoon monsters.
So a lack of education?

It sounds like the people are probably giving this stuff a pass because they think only "the bad guys" are the ones getting killed, while ignoring the fact that all of this is happening without due process. That's a very dangerous line of thinking.

Depending on how feverish the support is, maybe any detractors or doubters to these mass killings get immediately struck down with stuff like "why do you support drug dealers?" and similar accusations.
Literal bogeymen on whom people can lay the blame for every failing of their society.
Sounds depressingly similar to Trump's attempts to blame all of the country's problems on immigrants.

What are the latest numbers from the philippines? What's the total number of dead since he took office? And is there any evidence that his crusade has been effective? (Or any evidence that it has been ineffective)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You're assuming he isn't capable of wiping his son's alleged involvement clean.

He likely said this to get that very reaction from people.

I'm sure that the investigation will be clean nd unaffected by his father's position. I am also sure that he is completely innocent all of a sudden.

Top Bottom