• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic: Best Games of 2016 (and platform comparisons)

Durante

I think the huge increase in scored games on PS4 in 2016 is interesting. It might be that indies are more likely to be scored by enough "press" outlets if they get a console release.

Oh, and I updated this picture:
meta201698svd.png

In before those PC games don't count because...

...indies.

They count if you like them and if you don't need or like them they don't count. Simply as that.

These games are not killer apps for me, but the AAA exclusives are. So my taste says that they don't count(i.e. for a hardware decision) because...taste.

Either way, a considerable amount of 75+ PC games, probably make it on Metacritic's with just 7 reviews or a few more. So many PC games have 2,3,4 or 5+ times fewer reviews than many PS4 games.
And we know that usually the more reviews a game takes the lower the score in Metacritic tends to be.

Even if we don't take into consideration the above, these numbers say nothing or much depending our needs in gaming.

PS. My Phone > PS4 in 75+ games I guess.

In before those PC games don't count because

Let's be real: a lot of games "don't count" simply because not enough people play them. Gaming (like everything) is more social than ever. Even single player games are a little bit social in that you can see whether other people are playing them. People like to feel that their choices are validated, when other people choose the same. For better or worse...

Metacritic itself is an aggregate. If not enough reviewers chime in on a game, it doesn't get aggregated. It literally doesn't count. People ignoring games that haven't caught their attention is pretty much the same thing as that.

Tagyhag

Where is Shiren The Wanderer 5 on Vita? :-/

That's just an updated DS game, so they wouldn't count it as a full exclusive.

Guys i know that you like to hate vita but be honest once in a while, this is the screengrab of the vita recent releases page
image.png

in the last 90 days alone 33 games were released but most of them don't have enough reviews so they aren't counted, it happens for all the other platforms too but vita games are usually more ignored by reviewers(all those games with the grey box with "tbd" aren't counted), so just consider those numbers as you consider metacritic average scores :p

But how many of those are exclusives that you could definitely see getting above 75 on the list?

I agree that it's a shame that some of those games aren't counted, but it might not even be a change for the Vita.

PC on the other hand...

By the way, that's not in the last 90 days, that's in the last week.

Dec

...indies.

They count if you like them and if you don't need or like them they don't count. Simply as that.

These games are not killer apps for me, but the AAA exclusives are. So my taste says that they don't count(i.e. for a hardware decision) because...taste.

Either way, a considerable amount of 75+ PC games, probably make it on Metacritic's with just 7 reviews or a few more. So many PC games have 2,3,4 or 5+ times fewer reviews than many PS4 games.
And we know that usually the more reviews a game takes the lower the score in Metacritic tends to be.

Even if we don't take into consideration the above, these numbers say nothing or much depending our needs in gaming.

so do we not count exclusives we don't like for all platforms or just one

A walking simulator with mediocre gameplay, average story telling, fucking shit pacing and the most generic white protagonist in gaming should not be the highest rated game this generation! ND's name is the only reason for such high scores!

Read the actual reviews. They disagree with your opinion.

...indies.

AAA games of today are stale, tired, restricting, mechanically simplistic, creatively bankrupt affairs. Saying you only play AAA games in 2016 is not something to yell out loud or be proud of.

You think there's only indies on PC? Homeworld, Total War, Civilization, Stellaris, Pillars of Eternity, Shadow Warrior 2, Hearts of Iron WoW Legion, Tyranny, Planet Coaster, Grim Dawn, Battlefleet Armada and so on. These arent cheap shit made on a boat in a third world country by slave children. They're proper, fully made games, with everything that matters in them.

so do we not count exclusives we don't like for all platforms or just one

I am not sure I understand the question. I mean I don't count indie productions as major platform exclusives. I like some of them of course but auxiliary to AAA games libraries.

Saying you only play AAA games in 2016 is not something to yell out loud or be proud of.
I never said that, but I could leave with AAA games. There are sufficient amounts out
there. Maybe I live in another planet. :p

Pranay

@Nirolak

An interesting stat would be how many indies are ported to the other platforms in the following since many indie games start with releasing there games on PC and vice versa

bj00rn_

Banned
They count if you like them and if you don't need or like them they don't count. Simply as that

No it doesn't work like that and we all know it. Opinions, taste and preferences is all good, but you can't just imagine away reality just because you don't like it.

...indies.

Nice damage control. Way to downplay games people find enjoyable because your platform of choice has much less.

eFKac

Hey, my #1 of the year is also at the top of the metacritic list, that's cool :)
Need to try Inside someday when it's on a deeper discount.

No it doesn't work like that and we all know it. Opinions, taste and preferences is all good, but you can't just imagine away reality just because you don't like it.

If your reality is that a game like TowerFall Ascension(87 Metascore) is as good as Batman: Arkham Knight(87 also) I am out of this reality for sure.

Nice damage control. Way to downplay games people find enjoyable because your platform of choice has much less.

I downplay games if they don't count for my taste?what?
Again...I said.
LittleBigGamer said:

I don't see any damage control here. Help me.

I can play your game, there are people think it is a general FACT that indies don't count. But I never played that game even if for my reality it's true(in terms of major exclusives).
You are these guys on the other side I suppose...
I quit.

If your reality is that a game like TowerFall Ascension(87 Metascore) is as good as Batman: Arkham Knight(87 also) I am out of this reality for sure.

I downplay games if they don't count for me?what?
Again...I said.

I don't see any damage control. Help me.
You now very well why you are ''offended'';)

This isn't about what counts for you. It's Metacritic's rating system. PC clearly obliterated the consoles in the number of well rated games, and the way you feel about it isn't going to change that.

I downplay games if they don't count for my taste?what?
Again...I said.

I don't see any damage control here. Help me.

I can play your game, there are people think it is a general FACT that indies don't count. But I never played that game even if for my reality it's true(in terms of major exclusives).
You are these guys on the other side I suppose...
I quit.

Considering I've had more fun with Towerfall than with Batman I think I consider it better.

This isn't about what counts for you. It's Metacritic's rating system. PC clearly obliterated the consoles in the number of well rated games, and the way you feel about it isn't going to change that.

True story and we were here to discuss these numbers I guess. Ban me if 72 posts until now are iterative of just OP's ''numbers''.

Considering I've had more fun with Towerfall than with Batman I think I consider it better.

That's good(it was a cheaper choice:p). Happy for you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
PS4 hitting it's stride.

PC straight beasting since forever though. PS4 and PC is the best platform combo there is.

Stoze

I think the huge increase in scored games on PS4 in 2016 is interesting. It might be that indies are more likely to be scored by enough "press" outlets if they get a console release.

That sounds about right, sadly.

I love that Stephen's Sausage Roll managed to get up there. I forgot Kentucky Route Zero even released an act this year, still probably gonna wait another 2 years until act 5 is out to play it.

RibMan

Overall, PC crushed it again. Not surprised at the console results: PS4's exclusives library is unmatched this gen. If a lot of the 2017 games turn out great, then the list will have an even bigger gap.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Do we have some last-gen breakdowns to compare? I wonder if the PS4 is outputting quality exclusives at the same pace as PS3 did.

2017 already looks to be packed.

John Wick

A walking simulator with mediocre gameplay, average story telling, fucking shit pacing and the most generic white protagonist in gaming should not be the highest rated game this generation! ND's name is the only reason for such high scores!

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't a great game.

Ah! You were being sarcastic

Steel

Banned
...indies.

If you really think that the only exclusives on PC are indie zero budget affairs, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Are you serious? So games with a white male protagonist are now labeled generic and are docked for it? How is he even generic?

Cels

what games got left off the "best-reviewed of 2016" list because INSIDE and Witcher 3 BAW appeared twice and Overwatch appeared three times?

Zemm

Explains why I've barely played my PS4 this year, seriously think Sky Go has been on it 99% of the time. Too many PC games and not enough time. PC + Switch for the considerable future is going to be pretty great.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
...indies.

There are some trends for both, but there isn't really anything to objectively delineate those two categories on the PC. Not even budget.

paulogy

I find this PS4 vs. Xbox One comparison very interesting. Now obviously there's inherent issues with Metascores, as well as only using 2016 as a window for comparison, but it indicates:

+ PS4 had 50% more total scored games. How many of these are actual console exclusives, or were just multiplatform games that only had enough reviews to hit the threshold for counting (7+) on PS4?

+ PS4 and Xbox One had the same number of "Great Games" (4 each). Seems low, but let's go with it. How many of these were the same games? Overwatch, Inside, NBA 2K17, plus one exclusive each?

+ PS4 had 4x more "Good Exclusives". Or 10 more Good Exclusive games, whichever way you want to look at it. ~3% of PS4's scored games for the year were in this category, and ~1% of Xbox One's 2016 scored catalog.

+ Xbox One had a slightly higher overall average Metascore, although there are 151 less games contributing to that result. Personally, I'd prefer to have 151 more games, if each is theoretically hovering around a score of 69.1.

Top Bottom