• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What directors do you want to see do future Star Wars films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnnie To

They're making a Han Solo movie, so yeah, get the world's best director of crime films to make it. It'll be the smokey, gritty, bleak humored, low-key and explosively violent Star Wars film of all time. He'll probably also recast the main part with Anthony Wong or Simon Yam, and he'll make space look an awful lot like contemporary Hong Kong, both of which I'm fine with.

Cheebo

Banned
Spielberg would never do a Star Wars movie. He's buddies with Lucas, and George has been less than thrilled about Disney unceremoniously dumping his ideas for the future of the franchise and going in the direction they did. Spielberg signing up to direct would be like sleeping with his best friend's ex.

That's why he's directing Indy 5

And watched multiple edits of TFA and gave feedback for Abrams. And gushed how much he loved it.

Oh and Spielberg is the one who told Kathy Kennedy to hire Abrams.

Oh and who is running Lucasfilm now? Spielberg's producer partner for over 30 years.

Yeah, Spielberg clearly hates the new Star Wars films.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Let Genndy Tartakovsky direct an animated Star Wars movie. His Clone Wars cartoons were bad fucking ass. I mean the dude made General Grievous look more bad ass and kill more Jedi in ten minutes than Darth Vader did in multiple movies.

After seeing Donnie Yen in R1 I would love to see a martial-arts styled SW film about the Whills guys. Don't know who would be right to direct though.

HStallion

The problem with Gareth Evans is he's going to have dudes whooping so much whole sale ass that's it going to make everyone but the likes of Darth Maul look like a god damned chump. This is only going by the movies, not the shows or books or anything.

Davide

Dave Filoni.

And he definitely deserves it after his work in Clone Wars. Unfortunately I doubt he'll ever get the opportunity, even if he obviously is still a part of Lucasfilm and gets input into all the projects now. I just want to see him in complete control of even one of the live action movies.

He also just wouldn't do it anyways. Lucas wanted him to direct the prequels and he said no.

GOD no. [Officegif]

And Christopher Nolan definitely.

Cth

Star Wars Anthology ala the Animatrix:

David Fincher
Spike Jonze
Michael Gondry
Charlie Kaufman

TDLink

I think they will give him an live action series. Isn't he already working on a new project?

He is working on a new project but we don't know what it is yet.

A live action show would be great as well but still not the same as him getting a movie. I can't see a show really having the budget to fully deliver on the kind of grand ideas Filoni likes to do.

Monocle

George Lucas
I heard he got the chance to make three Star Wars movies set before the first ones and he blew most of the runtime on tedious politics, bad child actors, and pointless special effects sequences. Made the Jedi look like a bunch of stupid hippies at a rave party. Also rumor has it the writing absolutely sucked.

I think Dan Trachtenberg would also make a good SW film

I bet he's on a shortlist somewhere due to his Bad Robot connections and the amazing work he did on 10 Cloverfield Lane (and also Black Mirror)

I'm hoping for it, partially because I think he'd kill it, but partially because he'd probably bring Bear McCreary with him, and that means I finally get my BattleStar Wars score I've been hoping for since 2005.

hobozero

Sergio Leone Boba Fett movie.

Akira Kurasawa Jedi flick.

and if it has to be living directors:

Mel Brooks: Episode IX The Search for More Money

I have a feeling I'll get flak for this, but since every one else has been mentioned: Guy Ritchie

He has a distinct style and I'd just love to see some midlife crisis gangster / heist movie in the Star Wars universe.

My favorite rising name in sci-fi right now is Alex Garland. He wrote 28 Days Later, Sunshine, and Dredd, and then his first movie as a director was Ex Machina. Would love to see his take on an anthology film. Something smaller and quieter, but tense and thrilling.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shaking my head at people straight-faced recommending Neill Blomkamp.

District 9 was refreshing at the time, but I don't even want to pay to see a theatrical release from him after Elysium and Chappie. Just no.

TDLink

GOD no. [Officegif]

And Christopher Nolan definitely.

Why exactly???

He's been fantastic to the franchise.

epK1X42.jpg

img-ahsoka-vs-darth-vader-with-flashbacks-480.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

reb_ia_15561.jpg

640px-ahsoka_rescues_anakin_-_sabotage.jpg

battle_of_ryloth_sl.jpg

And these are just some of the great visual shots...Many of his implemented storylines in TCW are fantastic and some of the best SW out there.

Alienous

Zack Snyder.

Keep him away from the DCEU and give him an intellectual property he cares about and might actually respect.

Bong Joon-Ho.
Best director working today. Considering how he managed to elevate the monster movie genre with The Host, I think he could easily make one of the best space-operas ever if given the budget. Of course, that would require for him not to be crushed by the Hollywood machine but one can dream...

Zack Snyder.

Keep him away from the DCEU and give him an intellectual property he cares about and might actually respect.

Not a bad idea.
He's obviously an incredible visualist but he's in need of a stong producer who could hold him back a little. Disney would be perfect for him.

HStallion

Bong Joon-Ho.
Best director working today. Considering how he managed to elevate the monster movie genre with The Host, I think he could easily make one of the best space-operas ever if given the budget. Of course, that would require for him not to be crushed by the Hollywood machine but one can dream...

Kim Jee-woon would be another great choice after stuff like The Good, the Bad and the Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom