• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord PS5s next big FPS, what do you want from it?

T0minator

Not much is known at all about this game...

Is it a Hero Shooter? Is it a Guardians of Galaxy inspired PVP/PVE shooter?

What do you all hope it is or do you hope it isn't?

I'm hoping it doesn't take itself too seriously, I want a fun 80s Sci-fi inspired soundtrack with crazy weapons that really utilize the DualSense features.. I get the feeling it'll be a Hero Shooter similar to Overwatch.

Would you want an arena shooter similar to Halo? But more modern.

What do YOU want to see from PlayStations next big PVP FPS...it's long overdue and it's gotta hit

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Something like Killzone but without the awful latency. They can keep the weighy feel without 250ms of input lag.

I really want a gritty sci-fi military shooter with a dope campaign and strong multiplayer.

T0minator

I'd love it to have a SP campaign as their Halo and Destiny 1 games had, but I think it will be sadly MP only.
I really think their focus is to make an FPS MP experience to last year's. PlayStation needs their own FPS. They haven't had one in over 10yrs to call their own.

Focusing on fun addictive gameplay with great characters is a smart move. Would I love a great campaign, yeah. But I'm also looking forward to something different...

Cod, Apex, Fortnite have been at the top for so long. Halo, Overwatch and Destiny have had their time but if PlayStation nails this game then they're set with Helldivers 2, Concord and eventually Marathon.

PlayStation needs their own multiplayer experience and Sony knows that

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can't waste resources on SP bull****.

source.gif

I just want it to be a social PvP game and do better than Helldivers 2 so the anti GAAS crowd can move their goalposts in real time.

T0minator

little, if anything. kinda hard to expect anything from a developer that's yet to've developed a single game?...
This isn't really a question of what do you expect from Firewalk..it's more of a question about what do you want from a new FPS from. PlayStation.

Yea, you're right we pretty much now nothing. But I want a quality PVP FPS, not really campaign or much PVE (even though I'm pretty sure there will be PVE elements or modes) PlayStation has to nail the feel of weapons to create that addictive gameplay that Apex/Cod are known for.

I'm guessing a mix of Apex/Overwatch in a Sci-fi setting...give me some crazy ass weapons and awesome characters and that's what I want!

MrRibeye

I want to see tits in the peripheral view of my 1st-person camera so that I can see them jiggle when I pull the trigger on my space rifle.

MrRibeye

Joke aside, Concord is probably some game mode that Ryan Ellis conceived for Destiny 2, but wasn't allowed to do it and now Concord is his chance to do it after all.

o Concord has a "cast of colorful characters" so we probably pick a Hero
o There's a space ship, which screams "getaway car", so I bet this is an extraction shooter with some CTF elements similar to Destiny's Gambit

Rac3r

Hard to know what I want from it when I hardly know what it is.

But the basics of a good multiplayer FPS are good gunplay, good maps, and these days, worthwhile progression.

Their blog post makes it sound like a hero shooter. Hopefully there’s interesting, handcrafted worlds/maps, and compelling characters/lore.

“Every time you log on is the beginning of a new adventure and every match is an opportunity for a new story. It’s these ideals that define Concord, its unique universe of vibrant worlds, and its rich cast of colorful characters.”

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Joke aside, Concord is probably some game mode that Ryan Ellis conceived for Destiny 2, but wasn't allowed to do it and now Concord is his chance to do it after all.

o Concord has a "cast of colorful characters" so we probably pick a Hero
o There's a space ship, which screams "getaway car", so I bet this is an extraction shooter with some CTF elements similar to Destiny's Gambit

Plus:

"Concord is a bringing together of peoples. It’s the power of games to build connection and inspire social play."

T0minator

I thought you might have some info about it. I was wrong.
The only info out there now is

Sci-fi themed
FPS PVP with PVE elements
Unreal Engine
Colorful cast of characters
Guardian of Galaxy inspired

Personally I think it's:
Not an extraction shooter
It's a Hero Shooter
Gameplay reveal in May, releasing this holiday

I kind of hope it's not a Battle royal. A good ol Arena Shooter would be nice.

Paasei

I hope it gets cancelled. FPS are boring games filled with gaas. Annoying to play with a controller.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The only info out there now is

Sci-fi themed
FPS PVP with PVE elements
Unreal Engine
Colorful cast of characters
Guardian of Galaxy inspired

Personally I think it's:
Not an extraction shooter
It's a Hero Shooter
Gameplay reveal in May, releasing this holiday

I kind of hope it's not a Battle royal. A good ol Arena Shooter would be nice.
I’d rather have something new and fresh, but that doesn’t happen very often any more.

yurinka

I really think their focus is to make an FPS MP experience to last year's. PlayStation needs their own FPS. They haven't had one in over 10yrs to call their own.

Focusing on fun addictive gameplay with great characters is a smart move. Would I love a great campaign, yeah. But I'm also looking forward to something different...

Cod, Apex, Fortnite have been at the top for so long. Halo, Overwatch and Destiny have had their time but if PlayStation nails this game then they're set with Helldivers 2, Concord and eventually Marathon.

PlayStation needs their own multiplayer experience and Sony knows that
Yes, I agree that Sony must have their huge shooter IPs with a huge MP component. This is why they bought Bungie and their Destiny, Marathon and so on, Firewalk and their Concord, Haven and their Fairgame$ and also why they are publishing Helldivers 2 (also shooter but TPS instead of FPS, and coop PvE instead of PvP) and were working in the Deviation game.

To compete against the IPs you mention and a few more, taking advantage of the fans of many of them bored of these IPs or unhappy with their recent entries or updates and being likely to leave them if a good enough replacement appears. And also taking advantage that some of them being only on PC or PC focused, keeping a good space for them, specially on FPS.

Destiny 2, Destiny 3 (sci-fi FPS, SP, coop PvE, PvP): Halo, Destiny
Firewall Ultra (VR MP shooter): game was released but the dev shut down, so pretty likely won't be supported going forward
Helldivers 2 (coop, TPS): Gears, Left 4 Dead, Deep Rock Galactic, Back 4 Blood, Killing Floor 2
Concord (sci-fi PvP FPS, maybe hero shooter or maybe an arena team team based shooter): Apex, Overwatch, Halo, CoD Modern Warfare, Counter Strike, Valorant, Team Fortress, Rainbow Six Siege
London Studio new IP (cancelled hero shooter): Apex, Overwatch, Valorant, Rainbow Six Siege
Marathon (PvP FPS, extraction shooter): Escape From Tarkov, Hunt: Showdown, Deep Rock Galactic, Halo, CoD MW, The Division "dark zone" game mode
FairGame$ (open world-ish team based PvP heist game): Payday 2/3, GTA Online Heists, Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG
Deviation's game (PvP FPS maybe more boots in the ground, cancelled or moved to the secret new SIE team made with former Deviation employees): Halo, CoD, Battlefield

I'm really enjoying Helldivers 2, but I'm not a comptetitive MP guy, I mainly play SP games. I understand that they focus on expanding to MP and GaaS with all these games because it's where the money is and what makes GaaS and shooter work in the long term.

But being a SP player I'd prefer them not being MP only and also feature a decent, good enough single player campaign as Halo, Destiny, CoD or Killzone had in the past. Or minimum, at least like in Helldivers 2 to have some way to play alone.

In this MP GaaS push they also have several non-shooter games (MLB, GT, Horizon MP, the apparently not greenlighted Spider-Man MP game). I assume after having released all of them they'll stop releasing new ones during several years, while they keep supporting and evolving these ones (the ones who make it becoming successful, which I assume will be the ones who continue alive) and after that period of time, collecting all the data and info they got from these games, plus lessons learned with them, and already being the top shooter publisher in the market, they'll go to very directly compete against the two biggest rivals: Fortnite and CoD.

I thought it was confirmed to be an extraction shooter?
No, the extraction shooter was Marathon (the Bungie one).

This isnt bungies game but I hope that they do sp as well.
little, if anything. kinda hard to expect anything from a developer that's yet to've developed a single game?...
Firewalk are basically Bungie devs who worked in the Bungie Halos and Destiny 1, mixed with many people from Activision Blizzaard (mostly CoD) and many devs from other top tier shooters and AAA games.

They're basically a AAA shooter dream team that basically is Bungie 2.0. Or being more specific, a refreshed old school Bungie. They have their office in the same city than Bungie.

Last edited:

T0minator

They're basically a AAA shooter dream team that basically is Bungie 2.0. Or being more specific, a refreshed old school Bungie. They have their office in the same city than Bungie.

Awesome breakdown! That's pretty much why Concord is worth keeping an eye on. Im hoping they're trying to do something completely new at the same time.

It's common for gamers to hate on GaaS but if done right those games can be played for years. That's what I hope theyre going for.. longevity and fun fun play

yurinka

Awesome breakdown! That's pretty much why Concord is worth keeping an eye on. Im hoping they're trying to do something completely new at the same time.

It's common for gamers to hate on GaaS but if done right those games can be played for years. That's what I hope theyre going for.. longevity and fun fun play
Thanks. The reference competition games I included are just to get some idea of where I think they are more or less aiming.

But as did with Helldivers 2 I think they'll try to do a somewhat unique take on the genre combining things from many different games, while also adding a good amount of stuff from the games each team did before, and maybe bringing something somewhat different that maybe ends becoming a new subgenre.

But yes, Firewalk and Haven may be new studios but these teams have a ton of pedigree, many of them already having worked together in several top tier record breaking games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom