• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP makes plans to invalidate Endangered Species Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakn3Dfx

Wife's work is based on this act, 20+ years. If they get rid of it, her job goes away.

This fucking administration man.

Volimar

I swear I read that same OP a few days ago.

Also, dems need to do a better job of pinning all this stuff on Republicans and not keep crediting Trump. He's going to be their scapegoat if we let them.

Christian

Every goddamn environmental thing they scrap is for oil, a resource fast on the road to obsolesence. Do they think oil Is literally everywhere or are they just to stupid to care?

They're doing it to get the most out of oil before it becomes obsolete. These guys don't care about what happens to the world, they just want to get as much money for themselves while they can.

The GOP can no longer pretend to be "pro-life." They've proven time an time again they have zero regard for human lives, and now this.

Everybody needs to sue them. For everything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We only just got them to stop saying "tawny owl" in a high pitched effeminate voice every time they talked about existing endangered species.

GuyKazama

For additional perspective, the law has been abused:

The 1973 act was ushered though Congress nearly unanimously, in part to stave off extinction of the national symbol, the bald eagle. Eagle populations have since rebounded, and the birds were taken off the threatened and endangered list in 2007.

In the eagles' place, another emblematic species — the wolf — has emerged as a prime example of what critics say is wrong with the current law: seemingly endless litigation that offers federal protection for species long after government biologists conclude that they have recovered.

Wolf attacks on livestock have provoked hostility against the law, which keeps the animals off-limits to hunting in most states. Other species have attracted similar ire — Canada lynx for halting logging projects, the lesser prairie chicken for impeding oil and gas development and salmon for blocking efforts to reallocate water in California.

Reforms proposed by Republicans include placing limits on lawsuits that have been used to maintain protections for some species and force decisions on others, as well as adopting a cap on how many species can be protected and giving states a greater say in the process.

Drencrom

Okay, this is seriously fucked.

Does the regular republican voting Joe even know that GOP are literally doing their best when it comes to fucking up the planet or do they just not care?

I'd like to make the GOP an endangered specie.

True. I know there are some dopes out there that are all "But humanity over animals! Human pride!". People like the GOP ain't nothing to be proud of, and they are barely "human". Cull the herd, put them ALL into a space shuttle and send it off to Uranus. That would actually be a benefit to humanity and the world as a whole.

Glix

Except for the part about animals being kept on too long, none of that can even be considered abuse, and I would need a citation to buy that first part.

Canada lynx for halting logging projects, the lesser prairie chicken for impeding oil and gas development and salmon for blocking efforts to reallocate water in California.

That is not abuse. That is the entire point of the law. You can't have your project if it is going to negatively affect the species in questions. To call this abuse shows an agenda.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Except for the part about animals being kept on too long, none of that can even be considered abuse, and I would need a citation to buy that first part.

Exactly.

If the problem is that species are being kept on there too long, I dunno... How about come up with new rules to more regularly evaluate the recovery of endangered species and remove them more frequently?

Why the fuck throw out the baby with the bath water?

Sesha

Even if something has been abused, that doesn't invalidate it, nor does it provide reasonable grounds to remove it completely.

But that's besides the point. They want to get restrict and get rid of it because it's regulation, and regulation that hampers business is bad.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Exactly.

If the problem is that species are being kept on there too long, I dunno... How about come up with new rules to more regularly evaluate the recovery of endangered species and remove them more frequently?

The GOP doesn't give a shit about babies, just fetus's

giphy.gif

Pandy

Exactly.

If they evaluate the list more frequently it's virtually certain that they'll be adding more species than the take away every time they do it.

The only solution that achieves the desired outcome is no list, or a short list which species can be juggled on and off as they require.

If there's one group that always comes out in huge numbers for protests, it's environmentalists.

This seems like an immensely stupid political move. The commercials with sad eagles and wolves write themselves.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
If they evaluate the list more frequently it's virtually certain that they'll be adding more species than the take away every time they do it.

The only solution that achieves the desired outcome is no list, or a short list which species can be juggled on and off as they require.

I know their desired outcome. They would bulldoze the whole country if they could make a buck off it.

I'm just pointing out an obvious solution to their shitty "problem".

That is not abuse. That is the entire point of the law. You can't have your project if it is going to negatively affect the species in questions. To call this abuse shows an agenda.

You're not gonna get a response from that Trumper.

"What's the Republican mascot?"
"It's an elephant, dear."
"What's an elephant?"
"It's an animal that used to exist, until we decided it was ok to murder them all and grind up their tusks for penis powder. They used to have long trunks, like a giraffe has a long neck."
"What's a giraffe?"
"Oh, right."

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

If I had to guess, I bet its part of their effort to deregulate everything that might stand in the way of their business interests. I know corporate interests are often blocked from activities in areas where endangered animals live.

I wanted to make some comment about what a great job they've done keeping humans off the list while they've destroyed our future for the last 40 years, but it's too depressing and obvious and not worth the effort

rezn0r

I've been so sick of politics for months now and honestly just say fuck it (I did vote, don't worry), but now that there's this & the EPA shit going on, it's really starting to piss me off. I'm all for trying to support whoever is in charge even if you didn't vote for them, but sorry dickheads, my loyalty is with this planet before America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom